low end water v good quality hsf, what's your choice?

wal

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2004
I was initially thinking of getting one of these; Scythe Ninja, Tuniq Tower 120

But then thought I'm going to overclock my pc so why waste my times so I started looking at some low end water setups.

Thermaltake bigwater 735, Aceteck with blackice extreme 120. Both brands have identicle configuration in the case and I like the idea that the radiator is bolted to the rear case exaust fan, so it doubles as case vent and cpu cooling.

This would reduce fan depency by one and should also allow me to slow the remaining 2 case fans down because the cpu heat is no longer blowing accross the mainboard.

What do you think? Ok, so the price of low end calling is 3.5 times the price at most but it will offer some pretty good benefits right?

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
"]those hsfs will perform just as good if not better than those anemic water setups

x2

if you get a nice hsf one of two things will happen:

a) It will perform a little better than the poor water stuff
b) it will perform a little worse than the liquid, but it will be lotta cheaper...

conclusion: YOU WIN!!!! FANALITY

If you're not happy with the results, you can do just like the father of one of my friends did, he got a TBred and ppl told him that "AMD processors run too hot, make sure it won't melt!!!", so, what did he do??? He opened a hole in one side of the case and put a 30cm, 110V fan!xDxD, it never got past 36ºC xD

cruentus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I've had good luck with Corsair's COOL system. The kit runs about $200 and it's very easy to install. I'm water cooling a FX-55 clawhammer in my gaming box with it and so far it's working fine. Idle temps run around 32c and Load at 42-45c depending on the room temp at the time. You can check it out here: http://www.corsair.com/corsair/COOL_water.html.

2x1024 Corsair XMS
X850XTPE
WD 150 Raptor (system)
WD2000/WD3000 (storage)
Creative X-FI Extreme Music

RichPLS

Champion
Right now, the CPU is using 1.45 volts, and running at 30C, with 4 IE browsers, Excel running and TV Elite running a thruview desktop full screen TV... Running Opteron 175 at 220x11 for 2440MHz overclock.
X1800XT video card clocked at 700MHz core/1600 MHz memory is running at 60C

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I've heard very good things about the Kingwin Aquastar AS-3000. The main part (pump, radiator, and resevoir) are enclosed in a silver and blue box thingy that takes up 2 5.25" bays internally or can be mounted externally. It comes with waterblocks for the CPU and GPU, tubing, clamps, tubing, a good instruction manual, and anything else needed for the kit. It's made for beginners, yet cools very effectively. Just google it and you can find tons of reviews. Newegg has it for around $100.

PS: to aid in watercooling, and to pimp out your rig, look into the NorthWater Xtreme Water Xchanger (or a couple of them). They're inline radiators that help expel heat when the real fan radiator is a couple passes away. One reviewer that checked these out integrated them into the Aquastar kit I mentioned.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
1) that kit is crap, cools waay worse than any good hsf and probably worse than stock cooler

2) those inline coolers are the biggest waste of good alu... they dont' do anything and you probably can't use them because all good waterblocks use copper... and copper doesn't like alu