Low ethernet speed on Gigabit router

Jorje27

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Hello!

I have a tp link WR1043ND gigabit router and I can't use the full 1gb on speed tests. It stops at 300mbps. I use a cable to connect it (not wifi), and in my network connections in control panel says that the speed is 1gbps with full signal. My network cards supports gigabit speed. I have an Asus Rog G750JW and the maximum speed stops at 300mbps on speed tests. Isn't it supposed to rise until 1000mbps? :)

Thank you!

Solution
the router doesn't support 1000mbps, 300mbps is the fastest you can get with that router. also keep in mind that your internet provider has to give you 1000mbs aswell, ( you have to pay them more to get faster internet) in the Netherlands 1000mbps is only possible with fibreglass connection wich is quite expensive

nymzy

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
the router doesn't support 1000mbps, 300mbps is the fastest you can get with that router. also keep in mind that your internet provider has to give you 1000mbs aswell, ( you have to pay them more to get faster internet) in the Netherlands 1000mbps is only possible with fibreglass connection wich is quite expensive

Solution

ryosaeba

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Just because it's a gigabit network does not mean you're gonna get 1000mbps. You will never get 1000mbps. There are lots of overhead that will decrease your speed. Then you have other bottlenecks such as your hard drive's transfer speed. On my network, when I transfer 2 large files (4GB+) between my computers with SSD, I get an average of about 70MB/s. This is roughly 560mbps. You're going to get slower speeds if one of the drives is the old platter HDD. 300mbps is around 37MB/s so that's about right if even one of your computer has a slow drive or drive interface. You will get slower speeds if you transfer lots of small files as well.

Also, check your cables. There are categories for cables. Make sure ALL your cables are CAT5 or above, and not some $1 cables. The type of cable is usually written on the cable itself. Decent cables should cost about $1-2/ foot retail.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
ryosaeba, If you're getting less than 1Gb on a network with SSDs, it's probably because your network cards are low quality.

My last desktop had an integrated Intel NIC, which according to Intel's marketing info for the chipset, the NIC cost about $0.01 of the entire chipset's price. With that NIC I could get 960Mb/s(114MiB/s) with Windows file copy over the network.

But everyone is correct about the router being the bottleneck. The network may be 1Gb/s, but the CPU on the router rarely supports those speeds unless it's a recent router and $200+

ryosaeba

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

Even though I have SSD, one of the ones I'm copying to is an old Intel 80GB SSD. That is my bottleneck. In any case, that one is on my HTPC so I have no need to have it to be super fast. Still boots to Windows in about 8 seconds from cold start. Good enough.

Other then transferring movies to my NAS, I don't really need the whole 1gb speed, and my NAS is on all 5200RPM Green drives so that's my other bottleneck there.