Low FPD on a High Quality PC

millmann123

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
Why do i get an average of 30-40 frames of BF4 and BF3 in multiplayer (on high and low) when looking at action (50-60 when looking away from hotspots on the map) but get 60-70 in campaign (on ultra)? My specs are below:
CPU: AMD FX- 8150 Zambezi (OC'd to 4.1GHz)
Motherboard: MSI 990FXA-GD65V2
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
HDD: WD Green 7200rpm 2TB
SSD: OZC Agility 2 60GB
GPU's: PowerColor Radeon 7950 HD 3GB x2 (crossfired)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler
Case: Antec 900 two
PSU: Corsair HX850 850W
When I look at my GPUs' usage in Afterburner, the scales are relatively equal, although GPU 2 often drops off when the usage drops below 50. Also, I have disabled ULPS both manually and in Afterburner, and everything but FluidMark says that I have crossfire enabled and working. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Solution
Multiplayer requires more resouces to run smoother. Usually multiplayer games will perform better when you have a stronger CPU. The bulldozer line of CPU were never really great, especially with gaming.

enemy1g

Honorable
Multiplayer requires more resouces to run smoother. Usually multiplayer games will perform better when you have a stronger CPU. The bulldozer line of CPU were never really great, especially with gaming.

Solution
BF4 multiplayer seems to be very cpu intensive compared to single player.
There is some debate on how many threads BF4 can actually use effectively.
Even though you may see all threads with usage, it does not mean that the game is multi threaded. What you are seeing is Windows distributing the workload among the available cores.

I suspect that the problem is more one of relatively slow speed cores on the FX-8150.
You can test the sensitivity in two ways by REDUCING the cpu capability and seeing how fps is affected.

1. Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 70% and see how you do.

2. You could also experiment with removing one or two cores in the bios. This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many cores.

If you need more strength per core then you are looking at a modern intel quad like a i5-4690K and a Z97 based motherboard.

enemy1g

Honorable
If you have the money, personally, I'm alwas going to recommend going to Intel; the single core performance is just that much better, and you won't run into bottlenecks. People still using i5-2500ks are doing just fine.

But if you're looking to improve the performance for as little money as possible, get the 8320 (same thing as a 8350, but cheaper, and just needs a little overclock).