Low FPS (40-60)/Stuttering on GTA V, 980TI, i5 6600K

DarkTakua

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
When I play GTA V my FPS seems unstable and stutters in the city. I usually get 40-60 in the city and in the rural areas I get 50-60. My settings are cranked up to the highest settings, VSync is on.

My specs:

CPU: i5 6600K 3.5 GHz
Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 980 TI STRIX Overclocked 6 GB
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
SSD/HDD: Samsung SSD 840/WD Black 2TB
Monitors: HP Pavilion 25bw, Samsung SyncMaster SA350
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB)

I am fairly certain that the processor and graphics card shouldn't be an issue since they're beasts. I'm at a loss on why this is happening!

Solution
GTA V will respond to a faster CPU speed. I'd get an aftermarket cooler and boost that Skylake i5 over 4GHz. It's built for it. Are you running the second monitor at the same time from your 980Ti while gaming? That will put a hit on FPS as well.

DarkTakua

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014

My problem isn't that I want to go over 60 FPS; I want my FPS to be a stable 60. If I turn on VSync, the frames will be stuttery. Also, I do not think VSync has to do with the FPS dipping.

I currently have a Hyper 212+. I haven't ever overclocked before, so I'll be looking at some guides! And yes, I do occasionally use my second monitor to see Discord. I also tried without using anything on my second monitor but it still dipped down into the 50-60 range.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

turn down all the advanced settings, grass especially

DarkTakua

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014

Theoretically, my computer should be able to handle GTA V though at highest settings, right?

VoDkA29

Prominent
May 10, 2017

It can, turn OFF Vsync.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

not with decent fps

"When I play GTA V my FPS seems unstable and stutters in the city. I usually get 40-60 in the city and in the rural areas I get 50-60. My settings are cranked up to the highest settings, VSync is on."

is right for your specs at max settings

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

This is a problem(micro stuttering) that has been addressed by several YouTuber reviewers. This just happens with Intel CPU's across the board. Also, quad cores in general will have issues keeping FPS constant when you have other programs running besides just playing a game. Crtl+ALT+DEL and open task manager. Look at processes and look at performance. See what processes are consuming your CPU, and lets see what your performance looks like. Your CPU usage is probably pegged out, causing dropped frames when another program starts taking up usage. Especially, in challenging areas of the game. This is why the 6 and 8 core 1600 and 1700 work great for streaming. Ryzen is better at streaming than even the 6900k.

Ryzen is THE BEST CPU for Game Streaming? - $h!t Manufacturers Say Ep. 2
Linus Tech Tips
Published on Apr 6, 2017
Is Ryzen REALLY the best consumer CPU option for video encoding and game streaming? Let's find out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jludqTnPpnU

Best CPU for Streaming? - RYZEN 1600x vs INTEL i5 - Streaming Shoot-Out
Blunty
Published on Apr 10, 2017
AMD Ryzen 5 is HERE! Today! I’m testing the Ryzen 1600x & Ryzen 1500x, With Gameplay, Overclocks, Streaming etc etc… This vid; is the AMD Ryzen 1600x good for Streaming? 1600x vs i5 for Twitch Streaming.

Solution