Low FPS Across The Board

El Presidente

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Windows 7 Ultimate Edition - 64 bit
Intel i7 930
GTX 680 SOC
8 GB RAM

Recently, I have been experiencing low frames in every game I play. It isn't low to the degree that they are totally unplayable, but I only get around 20 - 40 frames. My specifications were capable of running these games without a hiccup at 60 frames at one point, so while it may possibly be a hardware issue, I have my doubts.

The problem started when I'd just bought Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. As it is well known, a large percentage of consumers of this game on the PC platform experienced stuttery gameplay. I myself did as well. To fix the issue, I read on Reddit that changing the size of the paging file was the best way to stop stutters -- and it did. However, when I changed the paging file, the frames ( which had been at 60 before ) dropped to near-unplayable levels. To counteract this, I tried to install Nvidia's latest drivers, but to no avail; they never installed completely.

Since then, I have changed the paging file settings back to their original settings with no results. Yesterday, I installed the new Nvidia drivers successfully, but still, there were no noticeable results. I have also done a malware sweep, and all I found was adware which I know has been on my computer since before this issue began. The computer has been recently cleaned as well.

I would appreciate any insight into this issue if it can be provided.

Solution

Let's start with this; I've got 2 recommendations, one will help, and the other may solve the problem.

1. Have you ran CCleaner on the computer? Free up some memory. It's a very well known cache cleaning program thats similar to dusting the memory off in your computer.

2. Rather than just installing the new Nvidia drivers, have you tried uninstalling them completely, THEN installing the latest drivers? If not, try that.

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

Let's start with this; I've got 2 recommendations, one will help, and the other may solve the problem.

1. Have you ran CCleaner on the computer? Free up some memory. It's a very well known cache cleaning program thats similar to dusting the memory off in your computer.

2. Rather than just installing the new Nvidia drivers, have you tried uninstalling them completely, THEN installing the latest drivers? If not, try that.

Solution