[SOLVED] Low FPS after complete reset laptop (Solved)

May 2, 2021
I have a Lenovo y520 with an i5-7300hq, 8GB ram, and GTX 1050
A week ago I decided to completely reset my laptop, I didn't have many documents I wanted to keep and I thought it might boost the performance and clean my SSD and HDD. After the reset everything seemed to work fine, but my laptop couldn't even handle something like rainbow6siege at low settings. before resetting my pc I had no issue playing whatsoever, I don't remember exactly but I think I played on high with 50+ fps. I have the same issue when trying to play other games.
First, I thought my games were running on my integrated graphics, but after monitoring my GPU usage I don't think that is the case (also, the games themself indicated that they were running on my 1050).

it did occur to me that my main GPU was only utilized around 10 - 30% and that my CPU was quite high(but I guess that can be normal when playing games), my CPU was only a few times 100% and hovered mostly around 80/70%

after that I tried some things I found on the internet, selected the right NVIDIA GPU in 3d-settings, changed some power setting, and checked for updates and driver updates, I also tried something in "registry editor" but that didn't work either

I ran UserBenchmark to see if there is something wrong with my hardware, I don't really know all that well what these numbers mean but they seem to be alright
UserBenchmarks: Game 22%, Desk 78%, Work 18%
CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 68.8%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 (Mobile) - 25.6%
SSD: Samsung PM961 NVMe PCIe M.2 128GB - 187.2%
HDD: Seagate ST1000LM035-1RK172 1TB - 49.6%
RAM: Samsung M471A1K43CB1-CRC 1x8GB - 40.9%
MBD: Lenovo 80WK

I hope someone with more knowledge can help me out

Last edited:
Solution
I would suggest going to the manufacturer website and locate all your base level drivers/chipset/graphics driver and load them in.
Other aspects, it could be dirty inside but should be seeing high temps along with. Might have too many processes running in the background?
It would be more helpful if you would post the link to that UBM result. Where it is far from the end all be all of benchmark tools it does give a lot of information about the system tested.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would suggest going to the manufacturer website and locate all your base level drivers/chipset/graphics driver and load them in.
Other aspects, it could be dirty inside but should be seeing high temps along with. Might have too many processes running in the background?
It would be more helpful if you would post the link to that UBM result. Where it is far from the end all be all of benchmark tools it does give a lot of information about the system tested.

Reactions: Mario37
Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just a quick look at your linked test:

You are "99% throttled" on your CPU. It appears there is either a driver missing OR that you need to go ahead, break her open, clean and repaste the coolers. It appears that everything is performing within expected parameters otherwise.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I will try to download base drivers

You should be able to find them if you create an account on the Lenovo Support website and follow the menus. In particular you want chipset and "intel management Engine" drivers, which will be specific to your particular laptop, and allow Windows to access RAM and SATA ports via the controller chips not the CPU. This helps a lot with performance and battery management.

These drivers really help a lot on older laptops, and you should really install them on a fresh install of windows with no other drivers already installed. Before you run Windows Update for the first time and before you connect the laptop to the internet.

May 2, 2021
Just a quick look at your linked test:

You are "99% throttled" on your CPU. It appears there is either a driver missing OR that you need to go ahead, break her open, clean and repaste the coolers. It appears that everything is performing within expected parameters otherwise.

I opened and cleaned her, she was really dirty and the temps seem to have improved but I still get the low fps, I wasn't really able to install old drivers but I'm gonna make an account and try again I did the UBM again and got pretty much the same result and warning (CPU throttled at 99% by Windows.)
one other thing I noticed, I was using NZXTcam so I could see my CPU temps but it doesn't register any GPU load (although the temperature is rising when trying to play a game)

May 2, 2021
You should be able to find them if you create an account on the Lenovo Support website and follow the menus. In particular you want chipset and "intel management Engine" drivers, which will be specific to your particular laptop, and allow Windows to access RAM and SATA ports via the controller chips not the CPU. This helps a lot with performance and battery management.

These drivers really help a lot on older laptops, and you should really install them on a fresh install of windows with no other drivers already installed. Before you run Windows Update for the first time and before you connect the laptop to the internet.

I made an account but I'm not able to find old drivers I can only find an option to update mine, https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...y520-15ikbn/downloads/automatic-driver-update

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
ok... you're almost there... click "manual update" on the menu on that webpage.

Then go to "Motherboard Devices" and get all three drivers there

then to "back to components" and in the "power Management" menu get the driver there.

Pretty much I think that would be all you really need.

May 2, 2021
Thank you all for the replies :D i ended up reinstalling windows and that fixed the problem, Im yet to update all my drivers and hope that the problem is fixed now. I think I did had some faulty drivers or something like that happy its resolved now