Question low fps after new hardware

Dec 29, 2019
stick with 1 thread, don't spam the forum
Help, i recently got a new motherboard and cpu and since my fps has decreased dramatically i have i7 9700k CPU GTX 1070 GPU 16gb ddr4 ram and aorus z390 motherboard i tried updating my cpu drivers and they are all installed. my fps used to be around 120 - 150 on low settings and with the same settings runs at 40 - 60 fps. any ideas and help appreciated!

Dec 29, 2019
i recently upgraded my motherboard and cpu to an i7 9700k and aorus z390 pro motherboard with my gtx 1070 and 16gb ddr4 ram my fps has decreased since from 120 - 150 to now 40 - 60 i tried to resolve the issue by updating drivers and motherboard drivers but nothing made a difference i also reinstalled windows which didnt help i need help and dont know what else to do!!!

Dec 29, 2019
i recently upgraded my motherboard and cpu to an i7 9700k and aorus z390 pro motherboard with my gtx 1070 and 16gb ddr4 ram my fps has decreased since from 120 - 150 to now 40 - 60 i tried to resolve the issue by updating drivers and motherboard drivers but nothing made a difference i also reinstalled windows which didnt help i need help and dont know what else to do!!!

Did you make sure you set the XMP or manually set your memory kits advertised speed? 2133Mhz will make games run very poorly.

Dec 29, 2019

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Did you really reinstall Windows (Not a reset) from scratch? Or are you just saying you did to try find different answers?

It is imperative Windows is reinstalled from scratch after a motherboard change. I do hope you're being honest because if not, nothing else suggested will work and only be a waste of time for you and everyone else.

Dec 29, 2019
Did you really reinstall Windows (Not a reset) from scratch? Or are you just saying you did to try find different answers?

It is imperative Windows is reinstalled from scratch after a motherboard change. I do hope you're being honest because if not, nothing else suggested will work and only be a waste of time for you and everyone else.
how would you reinstall because i think i did a reset
sorry if i wasted time i thought i did the right thing but please tell me i think i did it wrong

Dec 29, 2019
im so sorry if i wasted anybodys time i believe i didnt reinstall windows correctly and did a reset thinking this was right! i am new to building and upgrading pc so sorry for any inconvenience. If anybody is interested i will respond if this works and helps my problem.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sure thing. See this guide;

Backup any personal data because a full reinstall means a full wipe of the destination drive. Have an usb stick handy and is of at least 8GB in size. Follow the guide.

Before you do, if you don't have a dvd drive to use the motherboard driver cd, with another usb stick (any size, enough to store the driver), download the lan or wireless driver (which ever you use to connect internet) from the mobo site and put it a side. Just incase Windows doesn't install lan drivers itself and prevent you connecting to the internet.

After Windows has been reinstalled, let Windows updates do it's thing. Then visit motherboard and gpu website and download and install drivers.

Reactions: WildCard999
I'm kind of doubtful the installation of Windows is what is causing the problem. The OP very likely doesn't have the memory speed set higher than JEDEC default of 2133Mhz and may have even installed the modules incorrectly so it's running single channel mode.
what is the optimal speed you would recommend?
First we should check your memory settings by downloading and installing CPU-Z. Run it and switch to the Memory tab and check where it says Channel #. If you have 2 or 4 modules installed correctly, it will say dual for dual channel mode. If you only have one module or if you installed 2 or more modules incorrectly, it will say single. Still on the memory tab, what does it say for DRAM Frequency? Moving to the SPD tab, click the drop down box and select the slots until you find a memory module. Type out what the part number is for one of the modules. Once we know what memory kit you have from the part number, we can figure out what speed your memory should be set.

Reactions: dorsai
Dec 29, 2019
I'm kind of doubtful the installation of Windows is what is causing the problem. The OP very likely doesn't have the memory speed set higher than JEDEC default of 2133Mhz and may have even installed the modules incorrectly so it's running single channel mode.

First we should check your memory settings by downloading and installing CPU-Z. Run it and switch to the Memory tab and check where it says Channel #. If you have 2 or 4 modules installed correctly, it will say dual for dual channel mode. If you only have one module or if you installed 2 or more modules incorrectly, it will say single. Still on the memory tab, what does it say for DRAM Frequency? Moving to the SPD tab, click the drop down box and select the slots until you find a memory module. Type out what the part number is for one of the modules. Once we know what memory kit you have from the part number, we can figure out what speed your memory should be set.
you were right after fully reinstalling windows no change happened! i downloaded CPU-Z and i have a dual channel DRAM frequancy of 1066.2 MHz SPD tab my part number is CMD 16GX4M2A2666C15 thanks for help.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
you were right after fully reinstalling windows no change happened! i downloaded CPU-Z and i have a dual channel DRAM frequancy of 1066.2 MHz SPD tab my part number is CMD 16GX4M2A2666C15 thanks for help.

Well it was a step that needed doing because most times transfering an existing Windows install from different hardware causes underlying problems.

Make sure motherboard chipset drivers are installed. And Nvidia driver from GeForce.com.

DRAM frequency in CPU-Z is displayed as half the speed you set in bios. Your memory kit is rated for 2666Mhz which would display as 1333 if manually set to the rated specs or using XMP. The memory timings on the Memory tab should be CL15-17-17-35 or close to that. Cas Latency should be 15.

If you haven't done it yet, enter the bios and enable XMP in the bios. To access the bios press the delete key as the system is booting up just after pressing the power button. In the bios you might be able to enable the XMP setting in easy mode, but if not press F2 to enter advanced or classic mode and open M.I.T. The XMP setting should be on that page and should say it's disabled. Use the arrow down key to go to the XMP setting and pressing enter should enable it. Press F10 to save and exit the bios to reboot the system.

Dec 29, 2019
DRAM frequency in CPU-Z is displayed as half the speed you set in bios. Your memory kit is rated for 2666Mhz which would display as 1333 if manually set to the rated specs or using XMP. The memory timings on the Memory tab should be CL15-17-17-35 or close to that. Cas Latency should be 15.

If you haven't done it yet, enter the bios and enable XMP in the bios. To access the bios press the delete key as the system is booting up just after pressing the power button. In the bios you might be able to enable the XMP setting in easy mode, but if not press F2 to enter advanced or classic mode and open M.I.T. The XMP setting should be on that page and should say it's disabled. Use the arrow down key to go to the XMP setting and pressing enter should enable it. Press F10 to save and exit the bios to reboot the system.
enabling xmp actually made my fps worse and it dropped to about 20 so this is definetly not the solution please if you have any other ideas to help reply asap thanks.
'