Low FPS all of a sudden

emilijan

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
Hello! First time posting here, so sorry if I miss any essential information!

The problem is that I was playing CS:GO (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive) and I went from a steady 200 fps to 20-40 FPS. I restarted the game, restarted PC, vacuum cleaned my PC and still didn't work.

My specs are:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 CPUs) ~3.4 GHz
PSU: CX500 (500W)
RAM:8gb

I didn't update anything or so, I was in the middle of a game when it just crashed for some reason. I tried World of Warcraft aswell, but it's lagging aswell...

Basically, my games were high fps before, but now they're not anymore. It happened in a blink of an eye. Any ideas?

emilijan

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
Might be worth adding, I have 1 SSD and 2 normal HDDs. C: is the SSD and D: and E: are the normal ones. Free space on C: is 28 GB, free space on D: is 109 GB and free space on E: is 496 GB.

dangus

Admirable
Oct 8, 2015
do you have anything like MSI afterburner or any overclocking program installed? this has happened to me before, where afterburner just sets my gpu clock down to like 400mhz for no reason. otherwise check your settings in the nvidia control panel. check your temperatures on your cpu and gpu as well.

dangus

Admirable
Oct 8, 2015
what do you mean "it just switches, no update or anything.."? thats a lot of crap to have running. 2 instances of WoW, 7 chrome tabs, AND cs:go??? sounds like your ram is getting maxed out. but im confused. you said you restarted the pc...

emilijan

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
Sorry, I'll keep it in chronological order.
1. I was playing CS:GO with my friends, and it went well. I finished 1 game (about 40 min long) and started a new one. In the middle of the game, it just died. By died, I mean it dropped to 20 fps. I thought it was something wrong with the game or something, so I restarted the game. Still the same... I started wondering that maybe something broke. I restart my PC and fire up CS:GO again and still the same.. I had my headset on while I was gaming BUT I think I might've heard something either pop or crack or fall down. Imagine something in your pc hitting the bottom. It might've been my imagination, but it happened BEFORE the fps drop.

2. I search for updates and find some nonessential updates, installed them anyway and restarted PC and tried CS:GO, still the same.

3. I figured that maybe there was a CS:GO update that is somehow incompatible with my NVIDIA driver's (even though they're up-to-date) so I started another game to see if the problem persists. I started World of Warcraft Cataclysm and it was lagging there too.

THOUGHTS: So, I was thinking it might've been my GPU messing with me, so I tried to start several games just to stress it. I checked the temperature and saw nothing wrong. As in the pic I sent before, the temperature is around 48 degrees celsius with TWO instances of World of Warcraft open and chrome. However, I noticed my CPU skyrocketing. My task manager says it's up to 61%, and this is just with skype cam call on. With the TWO world of warcraft open, it was 99%. So, I'm almost 100% sure it's my CPU messing up. Any tips on what it might be? http://imgur.com/Y0C7i2u Here's a pic of my CPU temps and so on, and it's waaay to high for doing nothing. Can it be a virus that chews up my CPU or something else?

Thanks for the answers so far