Low fps and can't save overclock

Kyle_James

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016
I've tried everything that I know about PCS to try and fix this issue I had my computer running with a GTX 1070 hybrid and a i7 6850k the overclock is stable for a long time at 4. 2 gigahertz and the graphics card has been running amazing it's a card in place waiting for my new cardi 2080 TI.

randomly I'm getting 10fps in all of my games stuttering and a lot of times the games won't even start I redone the drivers and all sorts of other things and I've tried to reset the overclock that I know is stable but I can't seem to figure out what is going on.

I'm going to replace the CMOS battery today hopefully that solves the overclocking issue. I can set all the multipliers and do all the overclocked properly but when I exit the BIOS it does not save and it goes back to to stock speeds

as for the games it's a random thing that just happened I did update the drivers to the new drivers that out

Should I roll back?

Need some advice

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Is it truly resetting? Or do you have C states enabled (you'll still run the base clock, until needed).

On a board for a 6850K, chances are slim that the CMOS battery is dead/failing. Is your BIOS retaining date/time settings? If so, your CMOs battery is fine.

Are you monitoring temps/utilization in-game? Generally, unless a driver is offering improved performance in titles you play, there's no *need* to update it - but if you;re having issues, there's certainly no harm in trying.

Please post your full system spec.

Kyle_James

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016

Temps are perfect and date an time are there

The only thing I can think of is the new nvida driver and windows update
For the fps issue

And maybe a corrupt bios? IDK spent 2 hours on it last night. Saw no reason for it to be doing that. And the wierd part is everyonce in a while it would have the low fps issue, then I'd restart and it would go away, now it's stuck

Perfect storm I guess