Question Low FPS and Jittering on a range of games, Specs Included.

Ollie_Armitage

Commendable
Jun 10, 2019
Issue

I've been having issues with my PC for over a year now, It struggling with games at a sub 60fps on occasion when it should be performing much better. Meanwhile both the GPU/CPU can typically be around 40% load, with their temperatures not exceeding 80 degrees. RAM usage is around 50%. The games I've primarily been having issues with are Overwatch, CS:GO (And a number of other similar format games), GTA, and Terraria.

PC Specs

Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomohawk
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600x Six-Core Processor (12 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, 16GB Memory, 8GB VRAM
Monitors: 2 x AOC Q2778VQE 27" Quad HD 2560x1440

Overwatch

By far the worst problems. On its best occasions it will run at a max of 70fps. At worst it will not only drop to sub 20fps, but Ill hear, for want of a better word, jittering spikes in the audio, audio lag I suppose, on discord and in game. This seems to vary dependant on the map, newer maps causing issues, older maps not so much however still occasionally.

CSGO

Far better than Overwatch, most the time around 100fps but can occasionally drop to sub 60, frustratingly during a gun fight. Generally okay but still not perfect.

GTA

Sits at a stable 40-60 fps, but doesn't manage to go any higher. The load on the GPU can actually reach higher on this, i.e. in the 90-100% range. My specs are however above the recommended specs, I don't understand why this isn't higher?

Terraria

Usually a good 60fps, if I have Netflix open on my other screen it will freeze every few seconds for a split second (Have tried netflix on chrome, and the app, and lowered its quality). I don't think this is related to the other issues though, and is not a big problem.

Other Games

Games such as Mordhau and Batallion 1944 also struggle from lag spikes, with issues ranging from OW level to CSGO level.

What I've tried

• I have updated, uninstalled, and reinstalled my drivers.
  • I have opened Nvidia control panel and taken advice in managing the 3D settings (See bottom for full list)
  • I have Turned Windows Power Settings to Max Performance
  • I have turned off V-sync in the mentioned games, no difference
  • I have played around with resolution / Fullscreen, Windowed Borderless, no difference
  • I thought the issue might be with my monitors, being quite large and on one card. Turned one of them off while gaming, no difference.
  • Ill say this now; I'm fairly certain this isn't a case of a bottleneck with the CPU (Or CPU specific cores, as they were all at a steady load), GPU, or RAM. I just don't know what else the problem COULD be.

Anyone got any ideas?

Nvidia 3D Global Settings

Ambient Occlusion: Off, Anisotropic filtering: Application-controlled, Antialiasing- FXAA: Off, Antialiasing - Gamma Correction: On, Antialiasing - Mode: Application-controlled, Antialiasing - Setting: Application controlled, Antialiasing - Transparency: Off, CUDA - GPUs: All, DSR - Factors: 4.00x (native resolution), DSR - Smoothness: 33%, Maximum pre-rendered, frames: Use the 3D Application setting, Multi-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA): Off, OpenGL rendering GPU: Auto-selectm, Power Management Mode: Prefer Max. Performance, Shader Cache: On, Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Sample Optimisation: Off, Texture Filtering - Negative LOD bias: Allow, Texture Filtering - Quality: Quality, Texture Filtering - Trilinear, Optimisation: On, Threaded Optimisation: Auto, Triple Buffering: Off, V-Sync: Use the 3D application setting, VR pre-rendered Frames: 1