Question Low FPS and low CPU/GPU usage with new RTX 3060

Jul 2, 2023
So today I replaced my GTX 1660 with an RTX 3060. Everything went smooth - I uninstalled all the previous drivers and reinstalled etc. I go to check what kind of frames I'm getting on a Minecraft singleplayer world with shaders enabled and I'm only getting like 20 fps in some parts of the world. This is about the same as the 1660. I was looking at the Nvidia performance overlay while playing and my GPU and CPU usages are both very low (20-50%). I'm not sure if I just over anticipated how much of a difference a new GPU would make with this game or if there's an actual performance issue.

I also recently replaced the PSU and it does seem to be occasionally making a slight humming noise that I don't think it was making with the old GPU. Just replaced the VGA cable and its still making the sound and having these issues.

If any additional info is needed let me know. This is my first time posting on any kind of forum and I'm not really sure what the expectations are haha :sweatsmile:

Specs:
  • CPU - i7 10700F @ 2.90GHz
  • GPU - RTX 3060
  • RAM - 2x 8Gb @ 2400MHz
  • PSU - EVGA Super Nova 750 G5 80 Plus Gold 750 watt
  • Mobo - B460M Pro-VDH WiFi Micro ATX
  • 2TB HDD 256GB SSD
Sorry I know there's a lot going on in this image... hopefully its somewhat legible.
TBBvd90.jpg

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you run DDU to remove your older GPU drivers prior to removing the GTX1660? Once you dropped in the RTX3060, you're advised to manually install the latest GPU drivers sourced off of Nvidia's support site.

Jul 2, 2023
Initially I uninstalled the 1660 drivers without DDU and manually installed the new drivers from Nvidia's website. When I noticed issues I downloaded DDU and uninstalled with that and reinstalled the new drivers again with a fresh installer off the website.

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
So today I replaced my GTX 1660 with an RTX 3060. Everything went smooth - I uninstalled all the previous drivers and reinstalled etc. I go to check what kind of frames I'm getting on a Minecraft singleplayer world with shaders enabled and I'm only getting like 20 fps in some parts of the world. This is about the same as the 1660. I was looking at the Nvidia performance overlay while playing and my GPU and CPU usages are both very low (20-50%). I'm not sure if I just over anticipated how much of a difference a new GPU would make with this game or if there's an actual performance issue.

I also recently replaced the PSU and it does seem to be occasionally making a slight humming noise that I don't think it was making with the old GPU. Just replaced the VGA cable and its still making the sound and having these issues.

If any additional info is needed let me know. This is my first time posting on any kind of forum and I'm not really sure what the expectations are haha :sweatsmile:

Specs:
  • CPU - i7 10700F @ 2.90GHz
  • GPU - RTX 3060
  • RAM - 2x 8Gb @ 2400MHz
  • PSU - EVGA Super Nova 750 G5 80 Plus Gold 750 watt
  • Mobo - B460M Pro-VDH WiFi Micro ATX
  • 2TB HDD 256GB SSD
Sorry I know there's a lot going on in this image... hopefully its somewhat legible.
TBBvd90.jpg
Something similar has happened to me, when I replaced it with an RX 6750XT in the world I already had, it was around the same values you just mentioned, but I created another world and it was around 300 fps this with mods and shaders.
So try to create a new world and check.

- In case it's not from the world itself, we have to test some things. By the way, what your power plan is in the operating system can also influence the performance change.

Jul 2, 2023
So I tested with a new world and with other worlds that I have and I'm still getting similar results. I also changed the power plan to the Ultra Performance setting. I tested with Witcher 3 on Ultimate Raytracing settings (or whatever the highest setting is called) and got great frames (80+) - although I guess that's an older game.

The game is clearly dropping frames when I have a part of the world loaded with lots of entities (a whole bunch of item frames in my case) but I would hope this card would be able to handle that. When I'm not looking at that part of the world I'm getting like 40-55.