Low FPS and Low GPU Usage on almost all games i try to play

czdraze

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
i have a radeon 6870 1gb ddr5 900mhz 1150mhz , it only performs good on Battlefield 3 and Far Cry 3 the gpu usage is at 90%+ almost all the time but when i play gta 4, saints row 4, hitman absolution,prototype 2 the gpu usage never goes above 50%,low gpu usage is okay but my problem is im getting low fps too. (sigh)

5Oe0LZa.gif

uAPp69b.gif

i3 530 2.9ghz overclocked to 3.5ghz
Radeon HD 6870
4GB 1600Mhz Ram
300gb HDD

neieus

Distinguished

I disagree RAM could very well be part of your problem. You have to consider that Windows will use half of your memory if not a little more after it's started up and running. I don't know what you are using to monitor your system but I personally use HWinfo to monitor everything from CPU/GPU usage but it also tracks your pagefile/ram usage and logs it in a excel cvs file. From there I can see a very detailed view of everything that's going on each second and I also believe it tracks your GPU memory usage also but I'm not able to verify that right now since I'm at work. I'm aware that GPUZ will track some of this information also but it doesn't provide all the information Hwinfo does.

Looking at your screen shot I couldn't help but notice that the GPU default is 900Mhz but clocked at 880mhz. What's up with that? I also because what if your GPU is down clocking under heavy load due to heat? GPUZ or HWinfo will be able to tell you if that's happening also.

Additional thought: Keep in mind also that while some games may not need much ram to run others crave more of it. Once again logging that information can really give you a better idea of what's going on than guessing or receiving a lot of conflicting ideas online causing you to run around in circles.

yes ram maybe an issue cause some games are more memory hangry than others especially on online ones and you have 3 of 4 avaliable. also from the picture you have 100% fan usage on 0% load thats very wrong also gpu mhz is lower than it should be with an overclocked memory. maybe an heat issue. check the fans for dust and your pc ventilation and monitor all temps icluding cpu do also an driver reinstall

My guess would be your cpu, and the amount of ram you have on your video card. Most of the games you are having issues with are known to be very cpu dependant, and may be getting held back by your older model i3. Most of those games can and will use more than 2 cores.

If you find out that your video card ram usage is maxxed out then you may have to lower some settings such as anti alising to bring the usage below 1gb to get smoother gameplay.

manoyanx

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013