• MSI Armor RX 580 8 GB
  • Gigabyte Z97x-U3DH
  • 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz G Skill Ripjaws
  • 1 TB 860 EVO SSD with Windows and programs
  • 256 GB 840 EVO SSD with a couple games
  • 2 1 TB WD Blue HDDs with files and games
  • EVGA Gold 650 W PSU
  • Windows 10 Pro latest version
I play Overwatch, Destiny 2, GTA V, Minecraft, Rocket League, and CSGO. My performance has been low for most of my games. They used to play better. I used to be able to play Destiny 2 on high just fine, while I now stutter at 30 fps with occasional 60 fps on low. GTA V should run on high around 80-90 FPS, but I get 50 on medium. Overwatch is mostly fine at 60 fps on high, but gets dips to 35 fps occasionally. Minecraft runs fine, but world loads slowly. Rocket League runs fine at 60 fps, but occasionally stutters with high frame time. Games are not running like they should with my specs. The games I play should run fine on my setup.
I have also gotten like 2 BSODs. One was a Kernel Security check error. I can't remember the other. I have also gotten one complete freeze without any BSODS.

Here is what I have tried.

• Scanned with Bitdefender, Windows Defender, and malwarebytes. Nothing was found. Only Bitdefender is doing real time protection.
  • Closed all applications before gaming. Also disabled any startup programs I do not need. Only thing in taskbar is Antivirus, Discord, Steam, Radeon, soundcard software, and Everything program. I used to be able to game with more running. Closing things did not help.
  • Checked Temps. Hottest my CPU gets under 100% usage is 52 C. My CPU cooler is overkill. GPU gets up to 75 C while gaming. It is not a temperature issue.
  • Checked my RAM after BSOD with both Windows tool and memtest86. Nothing found.
  • Did sfc /scannow and chkdsk. Nothing found.
  • check the SMART info on all drives. All say they are good. Also moved games to other drives.
  • Intel diagnostics tool for CPU. Says it passed.
  • I have latest drivers and updates on everything.
  • Reinstalled windows for unrelated reasons.
  • Noticed my CPU usage is usually very high at 90 or even 100%. While most of the dips are when it is at 100%, it has occasionally but not often dipped when it was at 70%. I do think CPU is contributing, though I am not sure. My CPU usage is around 4% idle without any games or windows open.
  • Tried different AMD GPU drivers.
What else can be causing low performance? Is it possibility everything just uses more resources now, or if my PC is degrading because it is 5 years old? I am not sure what else it can be as I feel I looked at everything.

Solution
So would you recommend upgrading? I've been considering a Ryzen 5 3600. Though I was considering waiting for Zen 3, but I'm guessing it could be delayed.
in my opinion i would upgrade to something better
there are many options, but if you want intel you can get an i5 9400f and a b365 for around 400$ or from amazon you can get a 9600k and z390 kit at 360$ or so
if you want amd, you can get a r5 1600 af (best bang for the buck at amd)or an 2600 and a b450 at maximum 350$
(budget build)
Apr 20, 2020
i have a relatevely similar problem and i have an i5 4690, so not that different. i think the problem is from bottlenecking and from the performance degradation of the cpu.

SirMonkeyV

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
i have a relatevely similar problem and i have an i5 4690, so not that different. i think the problem is from bottlenecking and from the performance degradation of the cpu.
Thank you for your reply. It would be the CPU bottlenecking the GPU right? Also, I thought CPUs don't degrade and just stop working when they're done as long as you don't overclock too high? I haven't overclocked since it's not overclockable.

Reactions: justTEUT4690
Apr 20, 2020
Thank you for your reply. It would be the CPU bottlenecking the GPU right? Also, I thought CPUs don't degrade and just stop working when they're done as long as you don't overclock too high? I haven't overclocked since it's not overclockable.
no problem 8))))
the cpus degrade from daily use, you cant stop them. the degradation is faster or instantly if the cpu is not cooled correctly or it has been heavely overclocked. in this case the degradation happend from the cpu age (6 years)

SirMonkeyV

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
no problem 8))))
the cpus degrade from daily use, you cant stop them. the degradation is faster or instantly if the cpu is not cooled correctly or it has been heavely overclocked. in this case the degradation happend from the cpu age (6 years)
So would you recommend upgrading? I've been considering a Ryzen 5 3600. Though I was considering waiting for Zen 3, but I'm guessing it could be delayed.

Apr 20, 2020
in my opinion i would upgrade to something better
there are many options, but if you want intel you can get an i5 9400f and a b365 for around 400$ or from amazon you can get a 9600k and z390 kit at 360$ or so
if you want amd, you can get a r5 1600 af (best bang for the buck at amd)or an 2600 and a b450 at maximum 350$
(budget build)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS