Question Low FPS and Performance on EXTREMELY High end PC - RTX 3080ti & 5950x

Jun 28, 2021
This is my first time creating a Post, so I apologise if I do something wrong or have posted this in the wrong page.

Okay so I built this PC 2 weeks ago:

Ryzen 9 5950x

Rtx 3080ti Founders Edition

32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Ram (XMP Profile on, set too 3600mhz)

NZXT X73 360mm AIO Liquid Cooler

X570 Aorus Master

Corsair RM1000 Watt PSU

Samsung 980 M.2

Razer Lian Li O-11 Dynamic

There is a list of the most important parts of my PC, without a few more hard drives and the small bits.

The problem with my PC is that I just am not getting the performance that I should be getting on some games. On MW Warzone I am getting 130-180 FPS on LOW settings, whereas I am seeing people getting 200fps + on the same specs as me and on higher settings.

On COD Cold War I am getting 100-150 FPS on Ultra Settings whereas I am seeing people getting 200fps+ on Ultra.

My temps are fine as I have 9 Fans, and 3 on the AIO, while gaming the CPU just peaks over 70c, probably because the Turbo Boost Feature is enabled in the BIOS (It's called something else for Aorus but I forgot) So meaning it will boost my CPU when it is needed, according to my software it runs at about 4.3-4.5 GHZ while gaming.

My GPU doesn't peak above 75 really due to the fact I have set a custom fan curve - no Overclock.

My Heaven Benchmark came out with a score of around 10500 on HIGH settings, my Cinebench R20 Benchmark came out with a score of around 9540 on Mutli-core CPU.

UserBenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/44244590

I don't know what else to do, I know that these FPS are high but for the price I payed for parts and my PC I believe I should be getting higher FPS and higher Benchmark scores.

I have uninstalled my GPU drivers with DDU and updated them to the latest drivers, high performance for my PC is enabled, everything SEEMS to be up to date, including my BIOS. The high performance in my Nvidia Control Panel is also enabled.

Thank for you reading this and I will appreciate any help or advice given, again sorry if I have missed something or not posted this on the right forum as it's my first time on here.

One last thing I will mention is that, until a week ago, I was only using one GPU cable from the PSU to the GPU, but I have now changed that to 2, so I believe now it is getting enough power.

Thank you :)

Jun 27, 2021
Just thought I'd chip in. I have the same issue as you, but mine is a 3080.

My thinking is maybe the most recent driver is causing issues? That's all I can think of.

Jun 27, 2021
should i roll back drivers?
You could try. Not sure how that's going to affect performance though in newer games.

It's odd, because I've noticed that the majority of benchmarks are perfectly fine, but the performance is lower than expected, which to me points to a software issue?

I heard reinstalling Windows has helped people, but I'm reluctant to try that.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
AMD CPU running userbenchmark is laughable. They are insanely biases towards Intel and they basically makes your AMD CPU look bad on purpose. If you're serious about benchmarking use 3DMark. It have a free basic version.

My suggestion is check your background task usage. if too much tasks are in the background it might spill over a lot of CPU cores and clock frequency will drop and therefore frame rate. As to Cinebench, can't really tell you how your CPU compares to mine as I did run it on R23 and different versions aren't compatible with each other.

Final thing, are you sure the SSD is 980 and not 980Pro? 980 runs on PCIe 3 and the Pro runs on 4, but then different PCIe versions shouldn't cause much difference in frame rate.

Jun 28, 2021
You could try. Not sure how that's going to affect performance though in newer games.

It's odd, because I've noticed that the majority of benchmarks are perfectly fine, but the performance is lower than expected, which to me points to a software issue?

I heard reinstalling Windows has helped people, but I'm reluctant to try that.

I'd rather have the reassurance that my PC and it's components are working FINE, and worry about the software issue later on - so are you telling me that my benchmark scores are good? And is my PC fine?

Jun 28, 2021
AMD CPU running userbenchmark is laughable. They are insanely biases towards Intel and they basically makes your AMD CPU look bad on purpose. If you're serious about benchmarking use 3DMark. It have a free basic version.

My suggestion is check your background task usage. if too much tasks are in the background it might spill over a lot of CPU cores and clock frequency will drop and therefore frame rate. As to Cinebench, can't really tell you how your CPU compares to mine as I did run it on R23 and different versions aren't compatible with each other.

Final thing, are you sure the SSD is 980 and not 980Pro? 980 runs on PCIe 3 and the Pro runs on 4, but then different PCIe versions shouldn't cause much difference in frame rate.

Here is my 3D Mark test scores: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/63230691
Could you please tell me if these scores are fine - thank you in advance.
My R23 scores for multi-core were 24180.
And the SSD is NOT a pro, just a normal 980 - I do run MW on my M.2 and Cold War on one of my SSD'S and the performance on Cold War is still bad

Thank you

Jun 28, 2021
Last edited:
It's a .csv file.
It needs to be read using an app capable of formatting comma separated values, like Microsoft Excel or Libre Calc. Then you can follow the timestamp down the left side and scroll to the right (near the end) to go through your GPU settings.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
Jun 28, 2021
I found my 3DMark score for comparison NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO (3dmark.com)
From what I can tell your 3080Ti's clock speed is slightly low, but then again I overclocked my 3090 so I guess that's within specifications.
I guess one of the easiest ways to improve performance is max out the power limit on the GPU so clocks can boost higher without all the manual tuning stuff.
How do i max out the power limit?

alexbirdie

Respectable
My R23 scores for multi-core were 24180
Your 3dmark-score seems very good (because of the 3080ti).

But the above values in R23 are lower than my 3950x-values. Your are sure, you do have a 5950x? Or someting is running in the background and using lot of CPU-Power.

Already checked with task-manager, what's active ?

Perhaps an issue with power saving plans?

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
Your 3dmark-score seems very good (because of the 3080ti).

But the above values in R23 are lower than my 3950x-values. Your are sure, you do have a 5950x? Or someting is running in the background and using lot of CPU-Power.

Already checked with task-manager, what's active ?

Perhaps an issue with power saving plans?
he does have a 5950X or else why would 3DMark say that? Also in 3DMark both of our 5950X is within 2% of each other from the CPU score alone (13768 points and 14026 points)

alexbirdie

Respectable
he does have a 5950X or else why would 3DMark say that? Also in 3DMark both of our 5950X is within 2% of each other from the CPU score alone (13768 points and 14026 points)

I know. It was not meant really serious by me :).

But : The CB23-results are really similar to my 3950x results, and I know ( from tests and other sources, that they should be much higher for a 5950x).

My results( for comparison, no PBO, some undervolting): 24729 and 1386.

Only explanation for me: something in the background does heavily use the CPU while running CB23 ( f.i. iCUE from corsair, if installed, or some NZXT-Software, .......or something else).

My timespy-score: Score: 12578 Grafik: 12228 CPU-Score 15019
You see, somehow my CPU-score is higher than yours, no idea, why ( if your values are from timespy, too).

With the new CPU-Profile test in 3dmark I do have:

Max threads 11 588

Last edited:

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021

But : The CB23-results are really similar to my 3950x results, and I know ( from tests and other sources, that they should be much higher for a 5950x).

Only explanation for me: something in the background does heavily use the CPU while running CB23 ( f.i. iCUE from corsair, if installed, or some NZXT-Software, .......or something else).

You see, somehow my CPU-score is higher than yours, no idea, why ( if your values are from timespy, too).

Max threads 11 588
wait can you link it? I want to see the actual result. Not that I doubt you, just curious

alexbirdie

Respectable
Jul 8, 2021
This is my first time creating a Post, so I apologise if I do something wrong or have posted this in the wrong page.

Ryzen 9 5950x

X570 Aorus Master

Corsair RM1000 Watt PSU

Samsung 980 M.2

There is a list of the most important parts of my PC, without a few more hard drives and the small bits.

The problem with my PC is that I just am not getting the performance that I should be getting on some games. On MW Warzone I am getting 130-180 FPS on LOW settings, whereas I am seeing people getting 200fps + on the same specs as me and on higher settings.

On COD Cold War I am getting 100-150 FPS on Ultra Settings whereas I am seeing people getting 200fps+ on Ultra.

My temps are fine as I have 9 Fans, and 3 on the AIO, while gaming the CPU just peaks over 70c, probably because the Turbo Boost Feature is enabled in the BIOS (It's called something else for Aorus but I forgot) So meaning it will boost my CPU when it is needed, according to my software it runs at about 4.3-4.5 GHZ while gaming.

My GPU doesn't peak above 75 really due to the fact I have set a custom fan curve - no Overclock.

My Heaven Benchmark came out with a score of around 10500 on HIGH settings, my Cinebench R20 Benchmark came out with a score of around 9540 on Mutli-core CPU.

I don't know what else to do, I know that these FPS are high but for the price I payed for parts and my PC I believe I should be getting higher FPS and higher Benchmark scores.

I have uninstalled my GPU drivers with DDU and updated them to the latest drivers, high performance for my PC is enabled, everything SEEMS to be up to date, including my BIOS. The high performance in my Nvidia Control Panel is also enabled.

Thank for you reading this and I will appreciate any help or advice given, again sorry if I have missed something or not posted this on the right forum as it's my first time on here.

One last thing I will mention is that, until a week ago, I was only using one GPU cable from the PSU to the GPU, but I have now changed that to 2, so I believe now it is getting enough power.

Ryzen 9 5950x

X570 Aorus Master

Corsair RM1000 Watt PSU

Samsung 980 M.2

If youre still having issues, download and install this specific driver from Nvidia 466.77. i just got my 3080 ti FE like 3 days ago and i was getting total garbage fps compared to people with a 2080 ti on the current driver for Nvidia cards being 471.11. in AC Odyssey id drop to 43 fps in the benchmark, i go to 466 driver and i dont drop below 85 now. id also recommend doing an undervolt on the FE. mine was peaking 83C and now that i have an undervolt i havent gone above 73C.

edit: didnt mean to double reply, first time actually replying on here.

Jun 28, 2021
I'm sorry for not replying, i've just seen the replies. My apologies.
This issue still persists.

Max threads 11 588

I do run Razer Synapse, RGB Fusion, Corsiar LINK and NZXT CAM in the background.
He is using a 3080 ti with a 5950x on 1080p isn't the cpu bottlenecking the gpu in this scenario and couldn't that be causing it?

Upping the res makes me loose about 3-5 FPS.

I am sorry. I do have nothing to link. It seems too complicated for me. In other forums I simply attach a screen-shot and that's it, but not on tomshardware.

But, if you don't believe me: In Cb20 MC is about 9500-9550, and SC is about 539-542.

But your 5950x-values are not good, at all. Look at https://www.computerbase.de/2020-11/cinebench-r23-community-benchmarks/

Max threads 11 588

I would like to enable PBO, or manual overlock, but I have no idea how to. Right now 'auto core boost performance' is enabled on in BIOS, as default. This boosts my CPU automatically, but I do believe PBO is better and I'm not sure that auto core boost performance is suitable enough.