[SOLVED] Low FPS and performance, reasonable temps

Aug 19, 2019
Hi, recently I've been noticing that I'm getting exceptionally low performance in benchmarks and games.
Specs:
Ryzen 5 1600
GTX 1660
3000MHz RAM
550W PSU

A little bit of backstory:
When I first built my pc I downclocked my gpu with MSI afterburner ( -250 core -200 mem) and reduced the power/temp limits to 58/65 respectively as I only had a 60hz monitor and did not need that much performance. While gaming my temps for both cpu and gpu never exceed 65 deg, always stays below that. However recently I updated my drivers from the stock driver that came pre-installed by either the GPU vendor or Windows itself (I'm not sure) and I noticed my performance dipping to ~50 fps randomly when capped at 60 and going back up again. (stuttering in a sense)
I then reset all my settings in MSI afterburner (back to stock clocks, 100/83 power/temp limit) and the stuttering still occurs. (avg 110~ dropping to ~40+), I also checked and V-sync was off.

I posted on reddit and I was told to DDU my drivers and reinstall them, should I do that?

I ran Cinebench R15's OpenGL benchmark, Furmark and Heaven and realized the performance I got was absolutely horrible when compared to results online (R15 shows my results similar to a GTX460 w/ i7 3930k) and Furmark/Heaven results also was below par at stock. Temps of gpu peaked at 78 deg while benchmarking, and I found that the clocks in MSI afterburner would keep jumping during benchmark (1800mhz at one moment and dropping to 400mhz again after a short while before repeating)

According to benchmarks online on the games I play my system should be able to hit 144fps easily, I'm planning to upgrade to a 144hz panel so I am lost on the solution to my issue here. Thanks for any help.

Solution
However recently I updated my drivers from the stock driver that came pre-installed by either the GPU vendor or Windows itself (I'm not sure) and I noticed my performance dipping to ~50 fps randomly when capped at 60 and going back up again. (stuttering in a sense)

Do not allow Windows OS to automatically install the GPU drivers, assuming that's what happened in this case. Please do a MANUAL re-install directly from Nvidia's website for your GPU. Use the DDU tool, and do it in SAFE MODE.

Always try to update the drivers manually. What's the GPU and CPU load and usage while Gaming ?

Make and MODEL number of this PSU ?
However recently I updated my drivers from the stock driver that came pre-installed by either the GPU vendor or Windows itself (I'm not sure) and I noticed my performance dipping to ~50 fps randomly when capped at 60 and going back up again. (stuttering in a sense)

Do not allow Windows OS to automatically install the GPU drivers, assuming that's what happened in this case. Please do a MANUAL re-install directly from Nvidia's website for your GPU. Use the DDU tool, and do it in SAFE MODE.

Always try to update the drivers manually. What's the GPU and CPU load and usage while Gaming ?

Solution
Aug 19, 2019

Always try to update the drivers manually.

I shall try to DDU the drivers first then, I'll get back to you later

As for the psu,
CoolerMaster Masterwatt 550 Bronze Semi-modular

Aug 19, 2019
Hello, I have successfully DDU'ed my gpu drivers and installed the latest one. It seems my problem has been fixed and I am able to enjoy smooth 120fps now.