Question Low FPS and Stuttering in Non-Intensive Games - No Thermal Throttling, low CPU utilization

Apr 12, 2021
I'm currently using a ROG GL753VE laptop.
Specs:
  • i7 7700HQ
  • 1050ti
  • 8gb RAM
Currently using an external monitor.

I was getting really low FPS while playing League of Legends and Rainbow Six Siege, even though my specs are not "that" bad.
What I've tried to fix it:
  • New Thermal Paste - Cooler Master High Perfomance.
  • Update BIOS
  • Updated to the most recent drivers
  • Updated to the recommended drivers in Asus' support page (usually older versions)
  • Undervolt CPU
  • Underclock GPU
  • Bought a Cooling Pad
  • Reinstalled Windows
At this stage I was playing League at 50/60 fps with stuttering (Medium Low Settings)
In Rainbow I was playing at a constant 60FPS (Medium Settings)

I downloaded Intel XTU and found out that my CPU was Thermal Throtlling at 85ºC all the time, even on idle.
So I swapped my Thermal Paste for a Noctua NT-H1.

Reduced CPU temps to about 65C idle and 75C while playing and GPU sits at 70C while playing.
Even though I'm not Thermal Throttling anymore (despite of some temp spikes here and there) I'm now getting even worse FPS in League (50/60 all the time with stuttering) but better FPS in R6 with some stuttering (80 fps). My CPU Utilization is around 30%

I can't think of anything else to do.
Does anyone have the same problem? What else can I do to try and fix this?
Thank you in advance. Cheers

Edit:
Whenever I start a new match in League, my game resolution appears all stretched vertically. The way I solve this is changing the resolution, and then changing it back to 1920x1080.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY