[SOLVED] Low FPS at GTA V, what should i upgrade?

Jun 24, 2020
Hi, I have a 1050ti, i5 4570 and 16GB of ram. Lately i have been playing GTA and my fps is quite bad. I've been thinking about buying an i7 4770 but i am not sure if it will boost my fps. Should i upgrade my CPU or my GPU after all?

Solution
Doubtful they were. There's global settings, in-game settings, windows settings etc, all of which add upto considerably different performance, even on identical pc's.

In nvidia control panel, can set pre-rendered 3d buffer to 1 instead of 3 (default). Grass details to low, orient for performance not quality.

In Windows disable Xbox everything and game bar helpers and set background tasks as no-run when in full screen mode.

In game, set details to high, but drop viewing distance to low, lighting affects to low, anything spatial or cloud to low, turn off name tags, turn off any floating damage or data.

Goto motherboard manufacturers website and make sure you have the Last available updated drivers for chipset, audio, Lan etc.
I
I'vee heard that in GTA online there is a performance drop also was the performance better before???
OP can't really do anything about it. I play Online. The new update has snow all over the map. I get about 10 fps lower on most areas now (dropped from 120 to 100 ish) on 2070 Super. The 4770 will do minimally if at all, better. I would suggest you upgrade to a lower mid range GPU like a 1660 or Super. Or get a new cpu + mobo now and buy gpu later because we are about to see Nvidia's budget Ampere cards soon. Upgrading either will increase performance because you have a very old 4c/4t CPU and a 3 year old low mid range GPU.

For online, a bigger fps increase will be seen from the CPU, especially if the new one has SMT. I would suggest the 10100F or 10400F.

Jun 24, 2020
OP can't really do anything about it. I play Online. The new update has snow all over the map. I get about 10 fps lower on most areas now (dropped from 120 to 100 ish) on 2070 Super. The 4770 will do minimally if at all, better. I would suggest you upgrade to a lower mid range GPU like a 1660 or Super. Or get a new cpu + mobo now and buy gpu later because we are about to see Nvidia's budget Ampere cards soon. Upgrading either will increase performance because you have a very old 4c/4t CPU and a 3 year old low mid range GPU.

For online, a bigger fps increase will be seen from the CPU, especially if the new one has SMT. I would suggest the 10100F or 10400F.
Thanks for the reply, I really thought 4770 would make some difference because it has 8 threads but i guess it won't also lately I have been thinking about buying a 1650 super but i'm not sure if it is worth it.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
I
Thanks for the reply, I really thought 4770 would make some difference because it has 8 threads but i guess it won't also lately I have been thinking about buying a 1650 super but i'm not sure if it is worth it.
It is 8 threads, and that should technically make it better but I don't think you can find one at a justifiable price. That's why I suggested a new cpu entirely. Plus the added future proofing you get is way better.

The 1650 Super isn't worth it for you imo. 1650 Super is a hair above the 1060. If you're running the minimum good card (1050 ti, 950, 1650 super, 750 ti) I would suggest a two generation gap upgrade, because that gives the most for the money. You should wait for the RTX 3050 and its minions (GTX 26 series or whatever Nvidia wants to call it)

Jun 24, 2020
I
It is 8 threads, and that should technically make it better but I don't think you can find one at a justifiable price. That's why I suggested a new cpu entirely. Plus the added future proofing you get is way better.

The 1650 Super isn't worth it for you imo. 1650 Super is a hair above the 1060. If you're running the minimum good card (1050 ti, 950, 1650 super, 750 ti) I would suggest a two generation gap upgrade, because that gives the most for the money. You should wait for the RTX 3050 and its minions (GTX 26 series or whatever Nvidia wants to call it)
Yeah, but if I get a 3050 or something like that I also need to get a really good CPU for it not to bottleneck and I don't think i have enough money for the GPU and a MOBO with CPU right now.

Jun 24, 2020
I

Also i found a 4770 for 90 € i think that is a little bit overpriced.

Also i found a 4770 for 90 € i think that is a little bit overpriced.
Definitely. The 10100F costs €90 as well

View: https://youtu.be/bjnjVTRfiRM

Plus the 4770 is definitely used. Not worth it at all. 6 year old used chip that gets outperformed by same price new chip.

If you're in a very tight budget, I'd say 10100F is the way to go but if you can stretch, the i5-10400F at €140, is a great deal as well. Especially for future proofing, as well as smoother multitasking. 4 core CPUs are being slowly pushed to the bottom of the barrel. 6 cores as mainstream are here to stay. And I'd say 8 cores will become mainstream in about a couple years, you don't wanna keep upgrading every 2 years (seeing that you have 4th gen i5 and 1050 Ti)

Edit: that link is a 4770K, overclocked and STILL the 10100F is ahead

Yeah, but if I get a 3050 or something like that I also need to get a really good CPU for it not to bottleneck and I don't think i have enough money for the GPU and a MOBO with CPU right now.
"bottleneck" is a very misleading, overused, misused term. It all simply depends on what you're doing, and what games you're playing. If you're playing CSGO at settings that pros use, even a 2060 wouldn't bottleneck a 5950X.

Simply spend money where required. Currently you're having problems in an online GTA, which requires CPU power. So you need to buy a new CPU like a 10400F, which will technically get "bottlenecked" by your 1050 Ti. But since your fps in offline is fine for the settings you play at, you're not facing a bottleneck.

If yiu wanna be sure, when playing, press windows key + G, there will be a "performance" tab with a monitor with a graph on it. Click on that, and see your CPU usage while playing gta offline and online. If it's very high , with the GPU usage being the same, then you have a CPU "bottleneck"

Jun 24, 2020

Plus the 4770 is definitely used. Not worth it at all. 6 year old used chip that gets outperformed by same price new chip.

If you're in a very tight budget, I'd say 10100F is the way to go but if you can stretch, the i5-10400F at €140, is a great deal as well. Especially for future proofing, as well as smoother multitasking. 4 core CPUs are being slowly pushed to the bottom of the barrel. 6 cores as mainstream are here to stay. And I'd say 8 cores will become mainstream in about a couple years, you don't wanna keep upgrading every 2 years (seeing that you have 4th gen i5 and 1050 Ti)

How much would a MOBO for those CPU's be?

Idk I will think about it I have to get a CPU that is 90€ and barely performs better than the 4th gen i7 and also i need to get a 83€ MOBO. What about ryzen CPU's? I saw ryzen 3 3300x is that a good option?
It is but on de.pcpartpicker.com I found 3300X at €152. The 10400F at €140 is better

You could go for that i7 but you never know how long it will last. I wouldn't suggest spending anywhere over 50ish on the used chip

@Filaa if your are upgrading to a i3 10100F it's better you don't imo,the 10400F should be your minimum as if you upgrade to i3 10100F you are just adding more threads for €140(I'm guessing the price that's excluding mobo,ram) which you could have done when you got that PC by getting i7 4790 doing that you could have got the best CPU then and a better CPU now, ik budget hits but the truth is if you get a 10100F you are paying the same or paying extra for a 4c/8t chip which could have done. So now you have two option to get stuff now or to wait and upgrade everything together, if you play GTA online only imo 40~50 is playable so yes get the 10400F;)

@Filaa if your are upgrading to a i3 10100F it's better you don't imo,the 10400F should be your minimum as if you upgrade to i3 10100F you are just adding more threads for €140(I'm guessing the price that's excluding mobo,ram) which you could have done when you got that PC by getting i7 4790 doing that you could have got the best CPU then and a better CPU now, ik budget hits but the truth is if you get a 10100F you are paying the same or paying extra for a 4c/8t chip which could have done. So now you have two option to get stuff now or to wait and upgrade everything together, if you play GTA online only imo 40~50 is playable so yes get the 10400F;)
Yeah this is actually sensible. See if you can get a better deal on a used i7. Or don't buy anytjing until you can afford a 6c/12t new cpu. I estimate about €300 including cpu mobo ram for new stuff

i7-4790, 4770 are fine, but €90 for them really isn't. I'd suggest saving up a couple hundred more bucks and getting a 6c/12t 10400f

Reactions: General Kenobi
Jun 24, 2020
Yeah this is actually sensible. See if you can get a better deal on a used i7. Or don't buy anytjing until you can afford a 6c/12t new cpu. I estimate about €300 including cpu mobo ram for new stuff

i7-4790, 4770 are fine, but €90 for them really isn't. I'd suggest saving up a couple hundred more bucks and getting a 6c/12t 10400f
Also you said 4770 would not make any major difference. How would an 10100F make a difference then? I don't get it rly.

Also you said 4770 would not make any major difference. How would an 10100F make a difference then? I don't get it rly.
At 1080p you are cpu limited practically it doesn't makes sense but because of the generational minor upgrades and higher clock speed it will show you a difference, but your overall computing experience remains the same when you upgrade to a 6/8c CPU you'll notice the system response, less jigs and jags while playing games and using your pc I've heard many testifying it.

The video has an overclocked 4770K. 10100F is quite a bit better than the 4770. Not a big difference. But id say about 15-20% safely, especially in online games. Like @General Kenobi said, you should either buy used now (I believe at a cheaper price, I would really not pay €90 for that), or go all out and buy a 10400F. The 10100F is not as good a deal if yiu can get the 4770 or equivalent for 50-60€

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ya'll are missing some things.
Story mode is fine because minimums for gta V is a 4c/4t. Online introduces high amounts of Ai, you get all that extra info like nameplates and such, a 4770 would be an improvement there, to what extent is questionable. Depends on the Tailored settings Op uses, don't just use presets like 'High' which also set higher cpu bound settings such as viewing distance, grass detail etc.

But. The 4th gen boards use ddr3, so that means new ram on top of new board and cpu, can't reuse anything but the drives and gpu.

An r3 3300x with pbo enabled knocks boots with higher grade intel in some titles. Going Intel again isn't worth it for the price.
View: https://youtu.be/NM2fFpzPKPg

Jun 24, 2020
Ya'll are missing some things.
Story mode is fine because minimums for gta V is a 4c/4t. Online introduces high amounts of Ai, you get all that extra info like nameplates and such, a 4770 would be an improvement there, to what extent is questionable. Depends on the Tailored settings Op uses, don't just use presets like 'High' which also set higher cpu bound settings such as viewing distance, grass detail etc.

But. The 4th gen boards use ddr3, so that means new ram on top of new board and cpu, can't reuse anything but the drives and gpu.

An r3 3300x with pbo enabled knocks boots with higher grade intel in some titles. Going Intel again isn't worth it for the price.
View: https://youtu.be/NM2fFpzPKPg
That is what I was saying. I really don't have money for new RAM, CPU and a MOBO i'm trying to find a less expensive solution for now.

TRENDING THREADS