low fps because of cpu or power supply not sure which one

immafrog1337

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
how do you know if your CPU is working properly? what are the symptoms of a dieing CPU? iv been getting low fps and my polling rate goes over 2k hertz. iv been trying to diagnose the problem and iv come to the conclusion that it has to be either my power supply or my CPU, but im not sure which one. i get lower than 100 fps on league of legends sometimes and 30-40 fps on the amazing spiderman 2, and i have a fx 8350 gtx 770 asrock 970 extreme 3 rev 2.0 cx600 and 8 gigs of ram. its not anything else because iv test and replaced everything so its either my CPU or my power supply but im not sure which one.

I think it's your CPU. The power supply should have no problem with that build and it shouldn't give any problems. The Fx-8350's single thread performance isn't spectacular, and with a cluttered Windows installation and newer games, it will start slowing.

I would recommend overclocking (if you haven't already) and reinstalling Windows. That should really speed things up.

Hope that helps!

Pinhedd said:
"Power supplies don't ever bottleneck components. They either supply enough power and the system runs properly, or they do not supply enough power and the system shuts down. PSUs can usually supply more power than they are rated for but this is often a very bad idea as it can occasionally result in a fire."