Question Low FPS but high-end PC

amcdannell2002

Prominent
Sep 19, 2019
Recently I've upgraded from a 1050ti over to a RTX 2070 Super hoping to be able to play my favorite games at higher frames and higher quality.

One thing I noticed as soon as I got in game was that my frames didn't change much, even when I put on the lowest graphic settings. I was still getting only 30-40 FPS, sometimes dropping as low as 10 or 15. I'm only playing at 1080p 60Hz
My GPU never goes above 50% utilization and same with my CPU.

I've tried deleting drivers and reinstalling, Reinstalling a second time with a clean installation, changing power settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel, just to have the same result in more than one game.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 (No OC)
RAM: 24Gb DDR4-2400
GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 Super (No OC)
PSU: Corsair cf650x
MB: Tuf Gaming B450-Plus

Last edited:

amcdannell2002

Prominent
Sep 19, 2019
Then your CPU is now the problem and your also using slow memory making it worse than it would be.
There's no bottleneck between the GPU and CPU. I confirmed this by using Core Temp to look at each core load. All cores also only run at 50% load in game.
I could switch to some 3200MHz RAM but I personally doubt that's the issue.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
There's no bottleneck between the GPU and CPU. I confirmed this by using Core Temp to look at each core load. All cores also only run at 50% load in game.
I could switch to some 3200MHz RAM but I personally doubt that's the issue.
The CPU usage means pretty much nothing.
If the games your playing can only mainly use 2 or 3 cores then it would give you 50% or less usage but still doing all it can do in the game.

amcdannell2002

Prominent
Sep 19, 2019
The CPU usage means pretty much nothing.
If the games your playing can only mainly use 2 or 3 cores then it would give you 50% or less usage but still doing all it can do in the game.
No you don't understand

I did look at each individual core and none of them were maxed out. I understand if a game only uses 2 or 3 cores but if it was a bottleneck issue then those cores should have a full load.

Even then, it doesn't explain why I still get low FPS even with low graphic settings in game.