Low FPS Csgo

ReeceRoberts

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
I'm currently averaging about 60fps on csgo which is playable but I should really be averaging above 200 and I don't know why I'm not ive updated my drivers varied game cache and I don't know whats up with it
Specs:
NVIDIA Geforce 960 2gb
AMD Athlon 740 X4 Processor

Solution
OK, first off, what resolution & quality setting are you currently playing at? Saying you 'should be' getting 200FPS for your setup might make sense if, say, you were playing at 720p (1280x720) resolutions on medium/high, but on that system you wouldn't reasonably expect that performance at 1440p (2560x1440) on ultra.

Second, have you checked to make sure that you don't have VSync turned on? If your monitor has a 60Hz refresh rate, all that super-high FPS is going to get you is a lot of screen tearing. VSync locks in the FPS to match the refresh rate, so you not only get a smoother experience but also reduces the load on your GPU.

Finally, when you change those settings (i.e. turn down the quality, increase/decrease the...

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

Seems normal with that processor. Uprading your current CPU won't really help if you're keeping your motherboard, you've already got one of the better motherboards for that socket.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

Seems normal with that processor. Uprading your current CPU won't really help if you're keeping your motherboard, you've already got one of the better motherboards for that socket.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
OK, first off, what resolution & quality setting are you currently playing at? Saying you 'should be' getting 200FPS for your setup might make sense if, say, you were playing at 720p (1280x720) resolutions on medium/high, but on that system you wouldn't reasonably expect that performance at 1440p (2560x1440) on ultra.

Second, have you checked to make sure that you don't have VSync turned on? If your monitor has a 60Hz refresh rate, all that super-high FPS is going to get you is a lot of screen tearing. VSync locks in the FPS to match the refresh rate, so you not only get a smoother experience but also reduces the load on your GPU.

Finally, when you change those settings (i.e. turn down the quality, increase/decrease the resolution), what changes do you see in your FPS?

If your FPS doesn't go up if you turn the quality settings down, or if it stays the same when you increase the resolution, then your CPU is holding you back. Whether you can replace it with a better CPU on your current system depends on what motherboard it has; for example, your CPU uses a Socket FM2, so if your board supports Socket FM2+ CPUs you might be able to replace it with a better one.

On the other hand, if you see the FPS go down if you increase the resolution, or if you have previously turned down the quality settings just to get the 60 FPS, then that's a sign that your GPU is having an effect on the performance. If that's the case, you might want to consider a replacement. Again, that will depend on the resolution you're playing at. For a lot of the sub-HD resolutions (i.e. 1280x720, 1366x768, etc.), your best bet would be a GTX 1050 (or even an RX 460). If you're going to play at 1080p or near-1080p resolutions (i.e. 1600x900), then you'll want an RX 470/480 (or possibly a GTX 1050Ti), depending on your budget. If you have or plan on getting a 1440p monitor, or even getting a 1080p monitor with a 120Hz or higher refresh rate, you'll want to move up to a GTX 1070.

Solution

markbrown

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017

Yes, this is a direct way to increase fps, but if you are facing low fps still then go for a better processor, it may help you.