Question Low FPS for higher powered games with new build

Jul 4, 2023
Hello,

I just built my first computer and am experiencing some issues with FPS. I have tried to run Balder's Gate 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition and the FPS has not gone above 15 for either, even with the resolution and graphics set low. If I try to set them to high, or even medium with BG3, they run at about 3-5 FPS. I have run sims 4 as well and am getting about 130 fps there. I am not sure where the problem lies so any insight would be appreciated. Let me know if more information is needed.

My build:
CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D Raphael AM5 4.2Ghz 8-Core
Motherboard: B650 AORUS Elite AX AMD ATX
RAM: Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5-5600 PC5-44800 CL36 Dual Channel
PSU: RM750 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon Triple-Fan 16GB GDDR6 PXIe 4.0
SSD: 980 Pro SSD 2TB M.2 NVMe Interface PCIe Gen 4
Monitor: Acer Predator XB283K 28" UDH 3840 x 2160 144 Hz

That almost sounds like they're using integrated graphics for whatever reason. HWMonitor and MSI Afterburner are my go to pieces of software to watch real-time usage so I'd suggest installing them, or anything similar you're familiar with, and seeing what the usage looks like in these games.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Jul 4, 2023
That almost sounds like they're using integrated graphics for whatever reason. HWMonitor and MSI Afterburner are my go to pieces of software to watch real-time usage so I'd suggest installing them, or anything similar you're familiar with, and seeing what the usage looks like in these games.
So I downloaded MSI Afterburner. It has two GPUs listed. One is AMD Radeon (TM) graphics and the other is AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT. It is using the AMD Radeon (TM) graphics. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be using that or how to switch them.
Are you connecting the monitor to the GPU?
I wasn't. That was the problem! Thank you!!!

So I downloaded MSI Afterburner. It has two GPUs listed. One is AMD Radeon (TM) graphics and the other is AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT. It is using the AMD Radeon (TM) graphics. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be using that or how to switch them.

I wasn't. That was the problem! Thank you!!!
So it was using the integrated graphics that's what "AMD Radeon (TM) graphics" is.