Question Low FPS from recent upgrade Need help!

Oct 19, 2022
I have an i7 7800x paired with a 3080ti Founders Edition. I did have a 1080ti. So the issue I was seeming to be having is that I only get around 180 FPS average on Siege. I was getting this FPS before on my 1080ti so I was hoping to get more FPS on my 3080ti. It doesn't matter if I'm on low settings (which seem to be worse on average) or high settings (which oddly give me the best FPS results). I have seen other users with this 7800x and 3080ti get on average 350-500 FPS on High settings. I have gone and done a benchmark https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/56001446 and nothing is really popping out to me other than the performance of the CPU. Its not overheating and staying in good temps (63C Max I saw was 70c) while gaming. I have uninstalled drivers with DDU and reinstalled drivers. I have gone and made my power mode to Ultimate Performance. I have done optimizations on the Nvidia Control Panel and can't seem to get close to getting 300 FPS average. I have defragged my hard drive (which is where Siege was first installed) and it didn't get anymore performance. I Re-installed Siege on my Solid State and it got worse performance (another weird situation). I have made sure all my Windows are up to date

My build is an Alienware Area 51 R5. I have upgraded my ram to a Corsair 16gb package and have it set to 3200. I did have the original set in which was 2400hz but I wanted to upgrade my RAM to 3600 hz to help with the pair of my 3080ti to find out that the MB Alienware uses only supports up to 3200hz. While this did get me a few FPS it wasn't what I was hoping to get seeing other peeps getting better results. My Monitor is a Dell AW2518H. I run my games on 1080p

This is the link showcasing someone else using the same setup I have but getting way better results. https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti/intel-core-i7-7800x-3-50ghz/

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I see a few things from UBM:
1)I think free ram could be a couple GBs higher.
Probably from you leaving the browser open while running the benchmark, Dell/Alienware preinstalled ad/bloatware, or other 3rd party programs - I'm not going to know what's on your PC, but those things screw with benchmark accuracy.
The fewer software apps running in the background, the smoother system operation will be overall.

2)Background cpu activity was not optimal. Ideally should be 10% or less when running UBM.
Likely caused by the same reasons as ram in the first point.

3)Cpu turbo(avg) is low. Cpu core thermal throttling is the current suspect...

4)Even if it is a SSD, that is a bit too full. Try not to go over 80% of storage drive capacity.

Extras:
1)That gpucheck site probably isn't any more trustworthy than UBM performance ratings(below/above expectations crap) and bottleneck calcs.
2)The Skylake/Cascade Lake-X cpus have a weakness of the mesh bus they use, as opposed to the ring bus on the mainstream chips. Short version of this detail: 7800X is slower than a 7700K's single core capability, the parameter that matters most for games(when all cores aren't being used, at least).
3)In game presets. That's a hard one for me to put into words, but... they are not optimal. Fps went up on high settings due to a setting or other opening up more cpu single core headroom.
4)3080Ti at 1080p, combined with Skylake-X mesh bus and some UBM results: Cpu core limited, with a gpu spending most of its time lazing/waiting around.

Oct 19, 2022
I see a few things from UBM:
1)I think free ram could be a couple GBs higher.
Probably from you leaving the browser open while running the benchmark, Dell/Alienware preinstalled ad/bloatware, or other 3rd party programs - I'm not going to know what's on your PC, but those things screw with benchmark accuracy.
The fewer software apps running in the background, the smoother system operation will be overall.

2)Background cpu activity was not optimal. Ideally should be 10% or less when running UBM.
Likely caused by the same reasons as ram in the first point.

3)Cpu turbo(avg) is low. Cpu core thermal throttling is the current suspect...

4)Even if it is a SSD, that is a bit too full. Try not to go over 80% of storage drive capacity.

Extras:
1)That gpucheck site probably isn't any more trustworthy than UBM performance ratings(below/above expectations crap) and bottleneck calcs.
2)The Skylake/Cascade Lake-X cpus have a weakness of the mesh bus they use, as opposed to the ring bus on the mainstream chips. Short version of this detail: 7800X is slower than a 7700K's single core capability, the parameter that matters most for games(when all cores aren't being used, at least).
3)In game presets. That's a hard one for me to put into words, but... they are not optimal. Fps went up on high settings due to a setting or other opening up more cpu single core headroom.
4)3080Ti at 1080p, combined with Skylake-X mesh bus and some UBM results: Cpu core limited, with a gpu spending most of its time lazing/waiting around.

I appreciate the feedback and the knowledge left by you. If the CPU is Thermal Throttling wouldn't CPU temps be pretty high? I feel like running Siege for an hour and maybe seeing a high of 70 is still in a good parameter for the CPU temps. I agree Dell does have quite the bloatware. I did remove quite a few of their programs besides one's I didn't know were gonna affect the state of my computer. The SSD is only that full because I wanted to make sure it wasn't a failing HDD problem. I will be reinstalling Siege on my HDD to give it that extra room to breathe.

What all do you think I could do to get better performance for my games? I feel like the upgrades (RAM and GPU) should have given me 100+ extra FPS but I'm still getting the same FPS as old ram and old card.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If the cores aren't thermal throttling, then something else is throttling back core clocks. It's from a prebuilt, so you were at least keeping up with chipset driver updates from Dell, yes?
Another factor is motherboard power delivery/VRM overheating. That will throttle core frequency as well.

What all do you think I could do to get better performance for my games? I feel like the upgrades (RAM and GPU) should have given me 100+ extra FPS but I'm still getting the same FPS as old ram and old card.
It was already hinted at in multiple points - a new platform: cpu, motherboard, and MAYBE ram. [Maybe, because Intel 12th,13th gen, and AM4 have boards that will allow you to reuse the current ram. AM5 won't.]
1080p does not require balls to the wall gpu horsepower anymore. Instead, do that towards the fastest cpu(at single core) that you are willing to spend towards, then the gpu comes after.
Cpu is the fps. The gpu can either match the rate the cpu is doling out frames to it, or slower - all based on resolution and eye candy settings, but the gpu is never faster than the cpu.

That's not a proprietary motherboard, is it? The images I checked out suggest it isn't. If it is - worst case, you need a new case too.

I have an i7 7800x paired with a 3080ti Founders Edition. I did have a 1080ti. So the issue I was seeming to be having is that I only get around 180 FPS average on Siege. I was getting this FPS before on my 1080ti so I was hoping to get more FPS on my 3080ti. It doesn't matter if I'm on low settings (which seem to be worse on average) or high settings (which oddly give me the best FPS results). I have seen other users with this 7800x and 3080ti get on average 350-500 FPS on High settings. I have gone and done a benchmark https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/56001446 and nothing is really popping out to me other than the performance of the CPU. Its not overheating and staying in good temps (63C Max I saw was 70c) while gaming. I have uninstalled drivers with DDU and reinstalled drivers. I have gone and made my power mode to Ultimate Performance. I have done optimizations on the Nvidia Control Panel and can't seem to get close to getting 300 FPS average. I have defragged my hard drive (which is where Siege was first installed) and it didn't get anymore performance. I Re-installed Siege on my Solid State and it got worse performance (another weird situation). I have made sure all my Windows are up to date

My build is an Alienware Area 51 R5. I have upgraded my ram to a Corsair 16gb package and have it set to 3200. I did have the original set in which was 2400hz but I wanted to upgrade my RAM to 3600 hz to help with the pair of my 3080ti to find out that the MB Alienware uses only supports up to 3200hz. While this did get me a few FPS it wasn't what I was hoping to get seeing other peeps getting better results. My Monitor is a Dell AW2518H. I run my games on 1080p

This is the link showcasing someone else using the same setup I have but getting way better results. https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti/intel-core-i7-7800x-3-50ghz/
Run ubm like this.

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run ubm with the browser closed.
Post a link to the results page.

Oct 19, 2022
If the cores aren't thermal throttling, then something else is throttling back core clocks. It's from a prebuilt, so you were at least keeping up with chipset driver updates from Dell, yes?
Another factor is motherboard power delivery/VRM overheating. That will throttle core frequency as well.

It was already hinted at in multiple points - a new platform: cpu, motherboard, and MAYBE ram. [Maybe, because Intel 12th,13th gen, and AM4 have boards that will allow you to reuse the current ram. AM5 won't.]
1080p does not require balls to the wall gpu horsepower anymore. Instead, do that towards the fastest cpu(at single core) that you are willing to spend towards, then the gpu comes after.
Cpu is the fps. The gpu can either match the rate the cpu is doling out frames to it, or slower - all based on resolution and eye candy settings, but the gpu is never faster than the cpu.

That's not a proprietary motherboard, is it? The images I checked out suggest it isn't. If it is - worst case, you need a new case too.

Yea I have updated all the chipset drivers for the Dell. All drivers are up to date and current. The motherboard is a dell MB so maybe that is the issue and I do need to also upgrade MB/CPU. Was hoping the hardware upgrades I have already done would have done the trick. Seems I may need to bite the bullet unfortunately.

Run ubm like this.

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run ubm with the browser closed.
Post a link to the results page.

Just to make sure I am understanding correctly, You want me to run UBM with a browser open then reboot and then run 1 closed and post both results?

Yea I have updated all the chipset drivers for the Dell. All drivers are up to date and current. The motherboard is a dell MB so maybe that is the issue and I do need to also upgrade MB/CPU. Was hoping the hardware upgrades I have already done would have done the trick. Seems I may need to bite the bullet unfortunately.

Just to make sure I am understanding correctly, You want me to run UBM with a browser open then reboot and then run 1 closed and post both results?
No......you don't want to run ubm with the browser open it muddy's the water.

To get the most accurate results.

Reboot........this closes all the old running stuff.

Wait a few mins........this gives windows time to do all it's startup task.

Run ubm with the browser closed.......to get more accurate results.

Post a LINK to the results page.

Reactions: Josh_Decay
Oct 19, 2022
No......you don't want to run ubm with the browser open it muddy's the water.

To get the most accurate results.

Reboot........this closes all the old running stuff.

Wait a few mins........this gives windows time to do all it's startup task.

Run ubm with the browser closed.......to get more accurate results.

Post a LINK to the results page.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/56026376

This is a test ran just after rebooting. Logitech and Razer software for mouse, keyboard and headsets were in my taskbar but that's it