Question Low Fps & GPU usage, No throttling/bottleneck

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mr.Stork

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
In other games like Tomb Raider, Sniper GW 3, etc... the GPU usage is 99% with 70+ fps Ultra. But in Team Fortress 2 (TF2), the usage is like 40-50% 100+fps, also comes lower or higher depending on the scenes. There's no throttling as other games prove that. My friend suggested maybe the CPU is 100% in other cores, but it doesn't seem that's the case, here's a screenshot of MSI AB overlay while in-game: View: https://imgur.com/y3NFJYr
. It's 500 fps in that image as the map is low quality and there's no players/fights going on. Even in fights/ton of people, there's no CPU core usage above 90%, tf2 handles multithread very well. (No fps limit too)

Specs:
i5-8400
1660ti
16gbx1 (it's shouldn't be ram, cuz the other games use 99% of GPU while 70+fps)
Z370M-D3H (Mboard)

What's going on? Please help.
Thanks in advance.

Mr.Stork

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
this is quite interesting, there are several threads here with poor GPU utilization for 1660/ti even after DSR... I am starting to think now that this is more of a driver issue. my gtx1060, the moment i go 1440p will stay at >90% usage.
I use Geforce Experience and receive driver updates quite frequently. So, I don't think that's it. Idk about 1060 Pascal, turing might be better, but that might be other game because tf2 doesn't need so much gpu power anyway. Btw I get 500fps in community maps, which are designed to get better fps, (what I think) those maps require less cpu power. reason 1: No objectives, 2: fewer players, 3: lower quality of map i.e. no water, ragdolls, flames, and other CPU intensive stuff...
as for DSR, improved visual fidelity as it is a form of anti-aliasing and should make the game more GPU bound especially in cases where you have a CPU bottleneck.
I didn't notice much of a difference, so I'll stick to normal, but I am certain it was having to work hard.
i also find it interesting that the FPS remained the same as max FPS should go down but make it more stable as it would be closer to your min FPS.
Yeah, ikr, just the usage increased from 30 to 70, not even more than 90... But the fps were the same. Tho it runs Rise of the Tomb Raider Ultra (AA: SMAA) on 60fps(vsync). Just when the benchmark of Geometric valley comes, it dips to 50-55 fps, as you would expect in a new game, cpu 100%, gpu 90%.

Let me know if you want to chat about this in a dm. I could do some benchmarks, in tf2, and discuss... Discuss about 16x1 Ram, and how it might effect the fps...
Thanks.

BrutalPizza

Commendable
May 29, 2019
Honestly, TF2 is old as shit. The 1660ti is a brand new GPU, it's probably not optimized for it yet, especially since Valve don't care much for TF2 anymore and don't release updates frequently like before.
Also, from one of your other posts, change that Foxin PSU to a decent one before it blows up and sets your house on fire, I'm not joking those type of PSUs are absolutely terrible and should never be used in a system that pulls 100W nevermind the power your system pulls under load.

Mr.Stork

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
it's probably not optimized for it yet, especially since Valve don't care much for TF2 anymore and don't release updates frequently like before.
Also, from one of your other posts, change that Foxin PSU to a decent one before it blows up and sets your house on fire, I'm not joking those type of PSUs are absolutely terrible and should never be used in a system that pulls 100W nevermind the power your system pulls under load.
Yeah probably so, guess I'll have to make do with the fps im getting. And the PSU, I have a warranty of that PSU for like a year, so after it ends I'll get a new one, cuz why waste the warranty...