Low FPS GTX970

Jan 12, 2019
Much lower FPS then i should be getting.

I finished building my desktop a few months ago, parts are listed below. all brand new parts minus the GPU that my friend sent me just so i could save some money. The issue is that from everything i read and when i check the "Can i run it" test i should be able to run most games on high and maintain 60 fps. But for the most part I can barely run any game on the lowest settings.

GTX GeForce 970 4gb VRAM
I-5 8600k @ 3.60HZ
16gb ddr4
My power supply is plenty sufficient

Fallout 4 - 30-35fps on lowest settings
Pubg - 25-30 on lowest settings

I have used DDU as well as reinstalling any of the games in question. Checked all appropriate options (Vsync, power distribution, background processes) but nothing seems to change. Weirdly enough it doesn't matter if im running the game at ultra or lowest settings. still maintain the same low frame count.

I've downloaded MSI afterburner and everything seems normal from what i can tell. Kinda at a loss for why im not getting the kind of performance out of this GPU that others seem to have. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Solution

Does it...

coolnate390

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
update all your graphics drivers and install the latest driver from the NVIDIA website. make sure to select your specific card, same memory too. Play the games with task manager open to see the cpu and gpu usage. Check your settings in NVIDIA control panel, settings in there will override any game settings.

Jan 12, 2019

I have the GeForce Experience application that seems to automatically detect and update my GPU driver to the latest version. I've played around in the Nivida control panel and set everything to maximum performance with no noticeable change.

When watching my GPU/CPU usage my CPU will always be below 50% usage and GPU will sit at 99% while in game. Only using around half of the VRAM but always at 100% 3D usage.

coolnate390

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018

Does it show the application itself using most of the GPU?

Solution
Jan 12, 2019

Yeah, when not in-game the gpu is at 0-3% at any given time. when in game it shows that whatever the current game i'm playing is using all 100% of the GPU

coolnate390

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018

If you can, try sticking the GPU in a buddy's system to see if it is a hardware issue. Check if your bios is messing with the card settings any way by making sure all specs listed in bios are the same as in the description of the card.