[SOLVED] Low FPS --- Help knowing whether it's my computer or the game?

hawkzrule21

Commendable
Sep 22, 2017
hello!
I've recently upgraded my graphics card big time and I know my cpu and motherboard are older and miles behind my new gpu but heres the situation.
I play mount and blade bannerlord. Its in alpha release right now. Here are my specs:
Gtx 1660 super 6gb
I5 3570k quad
Ga-b75m-d3h mb
8gb ram

Now I used to have a gtx 750ti. And setting the game to its absolute bare bones lowest settings, i could get around 20 fps with dips down to 1 fps being pretty common but not completely unplayable and enjoyable. But in the games menu, there's a graphic that shows how much of your memory is likely to be used and how much memory your system has available and obviously with the 750 to, the bar was always damn near full. Now I installed the new gtx 1660 super and the bar doesn't even reach half the memory projected to be used vs available.

But here's the question. When I play now, on pretty high settings sometimes I'll get constant 40-50 fps (I limit to 60, I don't really know why...) but other times and honestly often, it will still stop to 1 fps alot. I did a defrag on the game and it ran very smooth. Then right back to falling to achieve even 20 fps on medium settings. And again, I know my mb and cpu are outdated, I know this. They are next on list for upgrade but considering that games required and recommended hardware, I would think this set up should run it just fine on at least medium- high settings.

Is it my rig or is this game just still not optimized well yet due to alpha status? Thank you so much! I apologize for wordiness, just trying to get all the facts out there! Thank you!

Solution
When issues happen with one game, I suspect that a game patch is needed.

On the memory, I think what is being measured is the amount of vram in use.
That is ram that resides on your graphics card.
The GTX750ti had 2gb, your new card has 6gb.
You are good there.

If you have a heat issue, your processor could be throttling.
Run HWmonitor and look at the maximum temperature.
If you see 100c. your cpu has throttled.
I doubt that is likely.

hawkzrule21

Commendable
Sep 22, 2017
I thought the same thing, but the recommended is 8gb so wouldn't that further my idea that, at the very least, medium settings should be solid 60 fps? Thank you for your reply!

You are good there.

I doubt that is likely.

Solution

hawkzrule21

Commendable
Sep 22, 2017

You are good there.

I doubt that is likely.
I'll be honest, I only just put the new gpu in and have only tried bannerlord. I'm not sure how other games behave so I can't speculate on that.
And in regards to temperatures, I know my gpu never gets above about 60c. I don't know about cpu temps but I'll try that link you suggested!
Many sites say my i5 3570k is one of the best lower end and older cpus and it's DEFINITELY the best my motherboard is compatible with so it would really be nice to not need a pretty hefty and expensive renovation to my rig to be and to play this one game I've been waiting 10 years for! Haha! Thank you for your advice!