Question Low FPS/High End PC

Oct 6, 2022
Hi there - hoping someone can give me some advice. I'm by no means an expert here but know enough to build a PC. Pieced together over the last year or two but here's what I have -

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX3080
ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-E
Intel Core i9 12900K
Samsung 980 PRO 1TB SSD for my OS, 3TB Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 for basically just my steam games
G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 2x16
Corsair RM 850x (99% sure on this - at least that its 850W, I may have the model wrong)
Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix Liquid CPU Cooler (probably not relevant)

My issue is the FPS in a lot of games feels way lower than it should be. Rockstar in particular - GTAV best case around 40 but on my ultrawide samsung odyssey it's more like 15-20. And thats with most settings turned closer to normal. Not much different with RDR2 though more consistently in the 40's (again, with "medium" graphic settings). Other games are better - Cyberpunk, for example, 50-60 with high/ultra settings. All in all though, it just feels like with my PC specs, which I think are generally pretty strong, I should be able to play games with reasonably high graphics settings and way better FPS.

I have no idea if there's certain tweaks that need to be made in the BIOS, I have no clue what I'm doing in that department and too afraid to screw something up without direction.

Generally - any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Just feels like I'm missing something obvious here.

Thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcoemr!

Are you on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard? Is X.M.P enabled in your BIOS? Have you tried reinstalling your GPU drivers after removing them using DDU?

Corsair RM 850x (99% sure on this - at least that its 850W, I may have the model wrong)
If this is the exact model of the unit, how old is it and did it power any other discrete GPU prior to the RTX3080?

Oct 6, 2022
Thanks so much for the reply - and happy to be a new member (long time lurker)

1. It looks like my BIOS is older. Its 0604 x64 and going on the ASUS website it seems there have been a number of updates released since. Does it make sense to start here? I did read some warnings about updating the BIOS (though sounded like a rare issue). Just want to make sure I'm not doing anything too risky
  2. I've never tried DDU. I do keep my game drivers regularly updated through the GeFroce Experience app but have never deleted them entirely and reinstalled
  3. The PSU was purchased the same time i bought the GPU so thats the only one it's been hooked up to. Certain parts like the motherboard, CPU, and RAM came later. But the PSU was purchased because I knew I needed more power with the new RTX3080

If you the the outdated BIOS is the more likely culprit I'll start there. Thanks!