LoizosAristides

Prominent
Apr 18, 2020
Hello everyone,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but here it goes. I've recently bought a 1440p 144hz AOC 27G2U monitor. I've got it connected to my laptop via HDMI 1.4, which means I can't utilize the 144hz capabilities, due to the laptop port not being HDMI 2.0+, but that's fine with me. The problem is, when I tried gaming on this new monitor, I've noticed very low fps, regardless of the resolution being at 1080 / 1440p. The game in question is CSGO, which should be easy enough for my GTX 1050 to handle, even at 1440p. I've tried lowering all the settings down to the lowest possible, without any change. I've also lowered the resolution down to 1080p, and I was getting around 50-60 fps, while playing just on my laptop screen (without the external monitor connected) at 1080p, on the highest settings gives me 180 - 200, sometimes even more. This led me to the realization that the factor that causes the low fps count, isn't tied to the resolution, or the in-game settings.

The thing is, after opening up Task Manager, I've noticed that the usage is split almost 50/50 between the integrated graphics card (Intel UHD 630) and the dedicated one (GTX 1050). This is the case only when playing on the external monitor. Disconnecting it, and testing the game on my laptop's display, gives me 0% usage for the integrated, and around 80% usage for the dedicated card, exactly the way it should be. In other words, when connected to the external display, the integrated graphics card suddenly wakes up when it shouldn't, splitting the usage between the 2, thus lowering the performance. I wish to launch CSGO by utilizing only the dedicated graphics card.

Some things I tried:
  • Updating the drivers for both graphics cards.
  • Making sure the resolution and refresh rate are set correctly in the Intel Graphics Settings Control Panel.
  • Forcing csgo.exe to utilize only the "High Performance GPU" through Settings -> System -> Display -> Graphics Settings.
  • Doing the same thing in Nvidia Control Panel (Manage 3D Settings -> Global / Program Settings).
  • Making sure "Project" mode is set to Second Screen Only, even trying to set the external monitor as the main display.
  • Altering between the Project modes, same split GPU usage for each one as long as the monitor is connected.
  • Keeping the laptop lid open (as someone mentioned that when closed, the laptop enters a power - saving mode).
  • Disabling the Intel UHD 630 adapter from Device Manager, which prevented me from using the external monitor whatsoever.
Could anyone help me with my situation?

Thank you in advance!

LoizosAristides

Prominent
Apr 18, 2020
It does run off the Intel Adaptor. I should mention that after posting this I've experimented with closing the laptop lid entirely, thus setting the external monitor as the main (and only) display. I've then disabled the adapter, it did work but the performance was way off, even opening the Windows Explorer alone took like 5 seconds.
Regardless, thank you for the help, I'll try contacting them. In the meantime, any other ideas?