[SOLVED] Low Fps in All Games On RTX 2080 Super

fireyredhead985

Commendable
Dec 30, 2017
so, for about a year ive had this problem where no matter what i do, i get super low fps in all my games, and i have had many gpus in the past, all of which this problem has happened to. ive had an RX 470, GTX 970, R9 NANO, GTX 1060 OC, GTX 1070TI, and RTX 2080 Super which i use now. for example in csgo, on all low settings i get 80-100 fps. i have 4 hard drives in my pc right now, and someone told me the bandwidth could be an issue with my cpu which is the Ryzen 7 1700, so i removed some of them but it didnt really help. i am at a stump right now guys, my motherboard bios is up-to-date and so is my gpu drivers. If anyone can help me with this it would be very much appreciated. FULL SYTEM SPECS BELOW

Thanks.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D80 16GB (2x8) @2666MHz
GPU: PNY RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB
Storage: WD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, 512 GB Dell SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, WD BLACK 500GB 5400RPM.

Solution
would that be a BIG factor in the fps issue?
I guess it would depend on what you considered "big". If you are gaming at 1920x1080 resolution with a high-end card like an RTX 2080 Super though, your performance in a less graphically-demanding game like CS:GO will be mostly limited by things like CPU and RAM performance, as the graphics hardware will be waiting for the rest of the system to complete its processing most of the time. Raising the CPU's core clocks by 20-25% and increasing memory performance could boost frame rates by a decent amount.

Move your games to your ssd, one of your hdd's are dying and that might mean stuttering and lower framerates. This is coming from past experience
The performance of that WD...
thats my bad, PSU is the THERMALTAKE TR2 600W

Horrible PSU :)

Tier 7 in one list. Which is the lowest Tier possible and Tier D on the other list. Tier D is like "Potentially dangerous, but only in specific situations".

This PSU needs to be replaced with a good one before it dies and bring half your system with it.

You should have more FPS in CSGO that's for sure. If you're playing in 1080p that is and low settings.

fireyredhead985

Commendable
Dec 30, 2017
Horrible PSU :)

Tier 7 in one list. Which is the lowest Tier possible and Tier D on the other list. Tier D is like "Potentially dangerous, but only in specific situations".

This PSU needs to be replaced with a good one before it dies and bring half your system with it.

You should have more FPS in CSGO that's for sure. If you're playing in 1080p that is and low settings.
could the psu conitrbute to the bad fps in games?

fireyredhead985

Commendable
Dec 30, 2017
Wait. I did not say that a bad PSU would be the reason for your low FPS. I'm saying your PSU should be replaced even if this is not the cause of the problem you're having. Sorry about the confusion.

A PSU not being able to give enough power would just shutdown your system.
So what do you think the fps problem would be?

Well, it does look like your RAM should be able to run at DDR4-3000 speed if you enable the XMP profile for that in your BIOS settings. I suspect that would help your performance a bit. Also, the Ryzen 1700 can be overclocked a decent amount, as its clock-rates tend to drop a fair amount when presented with multithreaded loads in its stock configuration. You could probably get around a 3.9GHz manual overclock out of it, even on the stock Wraith Spire cooler.

Move your games to your ssd, one of your hdd's are dying and that might mean stuttering and lower framerates. This is coming from past experience

So, if you have your games installed on that WD Blue, i suggest moving them to a different drive or buying a replacement. It will help you with overall performance of possible games and applications that are installed on to that drive

Reactions: blade_storm
would that be a BIG factor in the fps issue?
I guess it would depend on what you considered "big". If you are gaming at 1920x1080 resolution with a high-end card like an RTX 2080 Super though, your performance in a less graphically-demanding game like CS:GO will be mostly limited by things like CPU and RAM performance, as the graphics hardware will be waiting for the rest of the system to complete its processing most of the time. Raising the CPU's core clocks by 20-25% and increasing memory performance could boost frame rates by a decent amount.

The performance of that WD Blue 1TB drive is looking rather low, though that might just be down to it only having 7GB free. The inner tracks toward the "end" of a hard drive will be about half as fast, and the limited remaining space may also be causing more file fragmentation to occur than usual. It might be worth freeing up some space on that drive and running disk defragmenter on it, though if there are just bulk data files on the drive like video it probably wouldn't matter much. And even if games are stored on the drive, I don't think much will be getting loaded off of it while playing something like CS:GO, so it might only affect load times a bit.

Solution

fireyredhead985

Commendable
Dec 30, 2017

The performance of that WD Blue 1TB drive is looking rather low, though that might just be down to it only having 7GB free. The inner tracks toward the "end" of a hard drive will be about half as fast, and the limited remaining space may also be causing more file fragmentation to occur than usual. It might be worth freeing up some space on that drive and running disk defragmenter on it, though if there are just bulk data files on the drive like video it probably wouldn't matter much. And even if games are stored on the drive, I don't think much will be getting loaded off of it while playing something like CS:GO, so it might only affect load times a bit.
so to answer the first paragraph, i play on a viotek SUW49C, the resolution is 3840x1080 @144hz, and im not going against what your saying, but a Ryzen 7 1700 16gb ram and a rtx 2080 super, should be getting high framerates stock. not the fps im getting. i mean we're talking in CS:GO I should be getting 400-500 FPS. not 80-100 FPS. unless lower clocks would really cause that much a a difference of course.

Jun 27, 2020
so to answer the first paragraph, i play on a viotek SUW49C, the resolution is 3840x1080 @144hz, and im not going against what your saying, but a Ryzen 7 1700 16gb ram and a rtx 2080 super, should be getting high framerates stock. not the fps im getting. i mean we're talking in CS:GO I should be getting 400-500 FPS. not 80-100 FPS. unless lower clocks would really cause that much a a difference of course.
Did you ever get this figured out also it could be the resolution your trying to play at I know on modern warfare I get 190fps on ultra with resolution set to 1920x1080 it drops to 120 at 2560x1440 and 60 at 3840x2160 its probably your resolution if I had to guess 3840x1080@144hz is gonna be a lot for the card to push