[SOLVED] Low FPS in certain game titles: 5600x + RTX3070

Jan 5, 2021
Hello,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I recently finished my new PC build and am running into low FPS in games that I know I should be getting at least 144+ FPS @ 1440p. PUBG is the game where I notice specific issues. No matter what graphics settings I set , very low - ultra, FPS remains the same at about 90-100 fps @ 1440p with pretty big frame drops around 10-30 fps. I am getting about the same FPS on my old build - i7-7700k w/ 2060. The weird thing is, no matter what video setting I set to in PUBG, e.g. VERY LOW @ 1080p, I get the same avg. 90-100 fps with FPS drops of up to 30 frames. It runs the same on ULTRA settings. Occasionally, I'd hit 120-130 fps but not for long before it would drop down to 100 or below.

PC SPECS:

No overclock, just ran the XMP Profile to my RAM @ 3600Mhz

CASE: LIAN LI TU150 ITX Case

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-I (updated on latest BIOS version 3001)

CPU: AMD 5600X

CPU COOLER: NOCTUA U12-S

GPU: ASUS DUAL RTX 3070

PSU: Corsair SF600

RAM: GSkill Trident Neo 16GB 3600MHZ CL14

Other games I notice poor FPS performance are Insurgency Sandstorm (90-110 fps similar to PUBG) and COD: Cold War 60-70 FPS in Zombies, Multiplayer 90-110 fps.

In games like CS:GO, Overwatch, Valorant FPS is fine at 200-400+ range @ 1440p.
  • Cyberpunk 2077: Ultra/high RT ON DLSS Quality ~60-65 fps but fps drops down to 45-55 when in more graphic intense settings
  • COD:MW/WZ 120-150 FPS Ultra/High RT ON - Notice pretty big fps drops though ~20-30 frames
  • Far cry 5 144+ FPS
  • Watch dogs legion 60-70 fps ULTRA RT ON
Troubleshooting attempts:

• Reinstalling Nvidia drivers (clean install) , same results.
  • Changing Nvidia graphics settings for PUBG in Settings console (attempted steps I found in reddit post), same result.
  • reseating GPU and PSU cables for GPU , reseating RAM
  • Lowering video settings to lowest settings in PUBG, no difference versus Ultra setting. No FPS gains in very low setting. Same FPS drops ~10-30 fps.
  • Changing Windows 10 registry settings for DVR for frame drop issues (found on another reddit post)
  • I have benchmarked CPU and GPU and they run as expected and drawing proper power from the PSU
  • I've monitored temps and util with HWinFO and Asus GPU Tweak II and util./temps are as expected under load
  • Cleared RAM Cache
  • Assigned PCIE slot to Gen4 in BIOS
CPU ~ under load temps sub 70C in Cinebench R23. While gaming, temps can reach 80C but never higher. Min. temps around 66-69C
GPU ~ under load while gaming 97-98% GPU Util around 71-74C

I have been reading around and it appears this is a driver related issue with Nvidia? Nvidia did release a new driver version today 461.09 which I have installed but still do not see any performance improvements.

Any suggestions? Or is this truly just an Nvidia driver issue that still needs to be optimized over time?

Other than these FPS problems in certain game titles, this PC runs great and is fast in all other aspects of multitasking. Seeing from other posts, appears FPS issues are pretty wide spread amongst the 3000 series GPUs across many different game titles...It is such a bummer getting all these new parts and it's not living up to the hype :| No Tech Youtuber's have even covered any issues regarding this surprisingly.

Last edited:
Solution
Hello all,

After testing a bunch more. I believe the culprit to low FPS / Frame drop issues in games like PUBG / Insurgency Sandstorm or any other game was tied to Nvidia's GeForce Experience's "Optimize all games" feature. I noticed in games that have been "optimized" via Nvidia's GeForce recommended settings were the ones that were having issues. If you've optimized your games via this method, and try to change settings in-game, it will not save your settings UNLESS you set your in-game video settings back to default > apply & save. Sometimes a restart of the game is necessary for it to save the video settings. I noticed this first with Overwatch. I would optimize the graphics settings via GeForce Experience, and the settings in-game...
Jan 5, 2021
Can you run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results.

I’m running a 3080 and 3700x for 1440p 144Hz and am really happy with it. There should be no reason for you to have issues.

Hi Sizzling,

I wish that were the case for me haha :')

Here's user benchmark test results:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/38127168

Note: Initial test failed and resulted in GPU not found. Did some digging and found that I had to disable Nahimic service in order to get the userbench test to work.

Jan 5, 2021
Hello all,

After testing a bunch more. I believe the culprit to low FPS / Frame drop issues in games like PUBG / Insurgency Sandstorm or any other game was tied to Nvidia's GeForce Experience's "Optimize all games" feature. I noticed in games that have been "optimized" via Nvidia's GeForce recommended settings were the ones that were having issues. If you've optimized your games via this method, and try to change settings in-game, it will not save your settings UNLESS you set your in-game video settings back to default > apply & save. Sometimes a restart of the game is necessary for it to save the video settings. I noticed this first with Overwatch. I would optimize the graphics settings via GeForce Experience, and the settings in-game would be all messed up, capped at 60 hz even though settings show it is at the 144hz monitor settings etc. The only way to fix it is to set your in-game graphics settings to default, apply & save, (restart game) then you can configure the videos settings to your liking and it will apply.

I applied this same theory to PUBG and Insurgency Sandstorm, and viola! My low FPS and frame drop issues were gone and I was getting 150-180+ FPS @ 1440p on ULTRA settings in PUBG and Insurgency Sandstorm.

All other games mentioned perform as expected.

Hope this can help someone!

Solution