[SOLVED] Low FPS in CS:GO

Apr 3, 2021
Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a 240hz monitor but my frames in cs:go (game i mostly play) often drop below 240.

During the warm up of the match my frames are stable 350-450 but as soon as the match starts I have 140-220 fps or so. I am playing on 1280x960, low graphics settings and have an i7 8700k and a gtx 1080ti.

I am considering buying a computer with better components but when checking how much fps other people get with my current set up I feel like something else should be the problem, right?

I tried changing my nvidia settings to settings pro players use (who have stable 400+ fps), gpu drivers are updated, temps of gpu & cpu seem to be fine. When playing Overwatch I have stable 150 fps (I think it is capped on 150).

I hope someone can help me out, or is my pc simply too old already and should i upgrade in order to play on stable 240+ fps?

Thank you very much in advance!

Solution
In EZ mode is the option to enable XMP there if the ram supports it,

dzlwfb2.png

Just under "MSI click bios"
What clock speeds is the 8700K sustaining on all-cores during extended gameplay? ('Stock' would have been perhaps 4.4 GHz at best, or, with an MCE capable/enabled Z370/390 mainboard, 4.7 GHz on all cores, if cooling was adequate and no throttling was occurring...)

You can test best all-core turbo clock speeds attained with HWMonitor while running CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU for 15 minutes or so. (Be sure to stop the test when done)

If you have a Z370/390 board, and stock clocks are being used and your temps are under control, then a few hundred extra MHZ might be available with a few keystrokes within Intel's XTU application. (You can test by an extra 100 MHz at a time, and, if no boost in FPS is noticed, easily revert back to chosen settings)

Reactions: Synxya

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
Thank you for your response :)

I have 2x16gb 2400MHz (I think that is DDR4? I don't know where to check this).

Thank you in advance again!
In Task Manager you can go to the Performance tab and click on Memory. On the top right of that screen it should say "Amount of RAM GB" DDR(3 or 4)

You could try enabling XMP if you haven't already in the BIOS. It should provide a 25% increase of FPS (E.g. If 25% of 200 is 50 then after enabling XMP you should see a 50 FPS increase)

How to Enable XMP in BIOS (LINK)

Apr 3, 2021
What clock speeds is the 8700K sustaining on all-cores during extended gameplay? ('Stock' would have been perhaps 4.4 GHz at best, or, with an MCE capable/enabled Z370/390 mainboard, 4.7 GHz on all cores, if cooling was adequate and no throttling was occurring...)

You can test best all-core turbo clock speeds attained with HWMonitor while running CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU for 15 minutes or so. (Be sure to stop the test when done)

If you have a Z370/390 board, and stock clocks are being used and your temps are under control, then a few hundred extra MHZ might be available with a few keystrokes within Intel's XTU application. (You can test by an extra 100 MHz at a time, and, if no boost in FPS is noticed, easily revert back to chosen settings)
I have enabled MCE and the cpu now runs 4.7ghz on all cores according to HWmonitor and task manager. In XTU it says -3.70gzh? I have updated the BIOS as XTU showed there was a power limit throttle. This problem is now solved and I do maintain a much higher fps now,.

I don't have liquid cooling so I don't think I should oc the cpu now that it runs on 4.7ghz on all cores I assume?

Apr 3, 2021
In Task Manager you can go to the Performance tab and click on Memory. On the top right of that screen it should say "Amount of RAM GB" DDR(3 or 4)

You could try enabling XMP if you haven't already in the BIOS. It should provide a 25% increase of FPS (E.g. If 25% of 200 is 50 then after enabling XMP you should see a 50 FPS increase)

How to Enable XMP in BIOS (LINK)
Thank you for your response. I have updated my BIOS (XTU said there was a power limit throttle which is now solved) and turned on MCE. The cpu now runs 4.7ghz on all cores and I get a substantial amount of more fps.

In task manager it says my ram speed is 2400MHz. I have not enabled XMP in BIOS. Is this safe to turn on without changing voltage settings etc? I have no experience in overclocking RAM whatsoever so I'm sorry for the dumb question, I don't want to mess up my pc. Thank you in advance!

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
Thank you for your response. I have updated my BIOS (XTU said there was a power limit throttle which is now solved) and turned on MCE. The cpu now runs 4.7ghz on all cores and I get a substantial amount of more fps.

In task manager it says my ram speed is 2400MHz. I have not enabled XMP in BIOS. Is this safe to turn on without changing voltage settings etc? I have no experience in overclocking RAM whatsoever so I'm sorry for the dumb question, I don't want to mess up my pc. Thank you in advance!
Windows automatically sets your RAM to a specific speed. You could be pumping out more performance and you might not even know. Enabling XMP is %100 safe however if you experience crashing or constant reboots then your system is unable to handle the modification and will either reset itself or you have to do it manually. However, assuming you've got a good motherboard because your other components are good, the chances of it messing up are little to none. Enabling XMP will definitely improve performance but in the end it's really up to you :D

Apr 3, 2021
I guess that you mean the bios, also where XMP needs to be enabled, which as said is perfectly fine.
Thank both of you for your responses! :)

I tried enabling XMP but I cannot find this option in my BIOS? The motherboard I'm using is the MSI z370-a pro and the bios has recently been updated (a few days ago).

I cannot find this option in both easy and advanced mode. I can adjust the dram reference clock and dram frequence, which are currently both set to their default settings (auto). There is also an option called Memory Try it! In advanced mode I get a lot of options and have no idea which one I would have to enable. In easy mode this setting can just be enabled and it says fps gaming so I'm assuming this is a similar/the same function but with a different name, or am I completely wrong?

I didn't change anything since I wanted to ask here first.

Should I enable Memory Try It! as it is the same/similar to xmp? And if so, to what numbers should I set Memory Try It, or should I just go to easy mode and enable it there?

Thank you so much again in advance! I really appreciate all the help I'm getting :)

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
Thank both of you for your responses! :)

I tried enabling XMP but I cannot find this option in my BIOS? The motherboard I'm using is the MSI z370-a pro and the bios has recently been updated (a few days ago).

I cannot find this option in both easy and advanced mode. I can adjust the dram reference clock and dram frequence, which are currently both set to their default settings (auto). There is also an option called Memory Try it! In advanced mode I get a lot of options and have no idea which one I would have to enable. In easy mode this setting can just be enabled and it says fps gaming so I'm assuming this is a similar/the same function but with a different name, or am I completely wrong?

I didn't change anything since I wanted to ask here first.

Should I enable Memory Try It! as it is the same/similar to xmp? And if so, to what numbers should I set Memory Try It, or should I just go to easy mode and enable it there?

Thank you so much again in advance! I really appreciate all the help I'm getting :)
Glad to help!