Question Low fps in game with High CPU % and Low GPU %

Jun 30, 2023
Hello , I have a RTX 3060 , an I5-10400F with his air cooler , a H410M H V2 with 1x16GB T-FORCE RAM and 650W PSU and 1TB Crucial SSD! I play in 1092x1080 in 165hz .

First of all not having two sticks of DRAM for dual channel is going to have a rather negative impact on performance. Secondly when you have a situation where you have high CPU usage with low GPU that means you're in a situation where your CPU is holding the system back.

Reactions: Nighthawk117
Jun 30, 2023
First of all not having two sticks of DRAM for dual channel is going to have a rather negative impact on performance. Secondly when you have a situation where you have high CPU usage with low GPU that means you're in a situation where your CPU is holding the system back.
Ok thanks ! And I just have to buy two sticks of DRAM ?

Jun 30, 2023
You'll want to do one of two things:
1) buy an identical match to the one you have
2) buy a dual channel kit

It's important to have timings and speed match across the memory being used.
Thanks and what can i do for my cpu to not holding the system back ?

I_Got_Crabs

Prominent
Feb 1, 2022
Adding another RAM chip (DIMM - direct inline memory module), usually makes the PC work better. But, you problem is with a game and graphics, NOT with the speed of your PC. Your game (software) is suspect. Some games and some platforms (the PC) can yield different compatibility results. So, try several different games to see if the the problem you reported exists on all the games that you load up or on just some of them. If it's just on some of them, then check online by searching for the problem with the game to find out what other people are doing to correct the problem, provided a solution exists. ... and, contrary to the above post, the GPU, graphics card, is the most important component of your computer because it's the one that renders frames. AGAIN, your problem is not about how many frames your graphics card can create, but about how much the graphics card is utilized in comparison to CPU usage. When it comes to CPU usage, while gaming, if you were to also read email/chat/watch/listed to mp3's from the PC music player, and other non-game activities, the CPU usage would go up. If you have background apps or programs running it could explain the high CPU usage. One other thing, are your actually talking about the CPU usage and the GPU usage, or are you looking at something that gives the RAM memory usage and the GPU memory usage?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023
Adding another RAM chip (DIMM - direct inline memory module), usually makes the PC work better. But, you problem is with a game and graphics, NOT with the speed of your PC. Your game (software) is suspect. Some games and some platforms (the PC) can yield different compatibility results. So, try several different games to see if the the problem you reported exists on all the games that you load up or on just some of them. If it's just on some of them, then check online by searching for the problem with the game to find out what other people are doing to correct the problem, provided a solution exists. ... and, contrary to the above post, the GPU, graphics card, is the most important component of your computer because it's the one that renders frames. AGAIN, your problem is not about how many frames your graphics card can create, but about how much the graphics card is utilized in comparison to CPU usage. When it comes to CPU usage, while gaming, if you were to also read email/chat/watch/listed to mp3's from the PC music player, and other non-game activities, the CPU usage would go up. If you have background apps or programs running it could explain the high CPU usage. One other thing, are your actually talking about the CPU usage and the GPU usage, or are you looking at something that gives the RAM memory usage and the GPU memory usage?
My friends have more than 100 fps in DirectX12 on Fortnite with maximum graphics with a RX 580XT SAPHIRE NITRO + but me in DirectX12 I have 40 fps maximum on maximum graphics and in performance mode I had only 90 fps with freezes ! His pc cost only 250$ but me with a pc that costs 1000$ !

In Valorant - 100 fps with all graphics down with a RTX 3060 !

Add the additional RAM and try again. It's difficult to predict exactly what impact it will have in your particular game but I would suspect it will be quite significant. High CPU usage and low FPS on a single channel system. Almost certainly you are choking your CPU. You mention freezes, that will likely disappear when you upgrade the RAM. In my mind the 10400F should be more than up to the job.

Jun 30, 2023
Add the additional RAM and try again. It's difficult to predict exactly what impact it will have in your particular game but I would suspect it will be quite significant. High CPU usage and low FPS on a single channel system. Almost certainly you are choking your CPU. You mention freezes, that will likely disappear when you upgrade the RAM. In my mind the 10400F should be more than up to the job.
It's better to buy annother ram 1x16GB 3200 mhz to have 32GB ram 3200mhz or to buy 2x8GB 3600 mhz ?

It's better to buy annother ram 1x16GB 3200 mhz to have 32GB ram 3200mhz or to buy 2x8GB 3600 mhz ?
You won't be able to run at 3600Mhz with that board. Your RAM will only run at 2666Mhz as that is the official speed supported by the CPU and XMP is unsupported. Personally I would buy a 1x16GB stick of exactly the same as what you already have.

If you buy another 1X16GB it needs to be the exact same thing as you have now meaning you need to buy the same brand and model just buying another "3200" is not the way to go. If you cannot do that for whatever reason then you need to buy a dual channel kit instead and as said above do not bother with anything over 3200.

TRENDING THREADS