Low FPS in games (Laptop)

piggiesmells

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
Hi,

Since a few weeks back, my FPS-rate in-game (Heroes of Newerth, for anyone wondering) has dropped from 60-80 to 10-30, and I don't know what the problem is. I'll list my hardware specifications, as well as monitoring-info about my CPU and GPU below. I'm using Open Hardware Monitor for the monitoring.

Hardware
---------------
Computer Model: MSI G60 2OC\2OD\2OE
CPU: Intel(R) Core i7-4700 @2.40GHz, 4 Cores
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT750M
RAM: 8GB

Monitoring
---------------
CPU
Temp Idle: ~50°C
Temp In-Game: ~70°C
Clock speed: 2394MHz
Bus Speed: 100MHz

GPU
Temp In-Game: ~53°C
GPU Core: 941MHz
GPU Memory: 2005MHz
GPU Shader: 1881 MHz

Memory
Memory Load: 56.7%
Used Memory: 4.5GB
Available: 3.4GB

I've checked for updates on the drivers for my CPU and Video Card, and it seems that I've got the latest ones. Please tell me if I've forgotten to add any relevant information; I'm a novice when it comes to hardware.

Thankful for any help!

Rogalo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2016
It might be because of the Spectre/Meltdown update. Download a program called InSpectre and run it. If the protection is activated, it might be affecting the performance.

piggiesmells

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018

Thanks for answering! I did what you suggested, and the results were that I'm protected against Meltdown, but not Spectre. I looked for any measures to be taken to see if this is what's slowing the games down, but found nothing. For some reason, the FPS-rate has gone up a bit since I posted this, but I have no way of knowing why.