[SOLVED] Low FPS in GTA 5 with a GTX 1060 6GB and i5 8400

Jun 22, 2021
Hi guys, recently I started playing GTA 5 but I'm always on 60 fps and after a few hours I also go down to 45/50! When I was playing it a few years ago with the same components I was reaching 80 90 fps on average with very high graphics, while now I hit 40 fps with just high graphics! I have an i5 8400 and a gtx 1060. It is not the best but after 3 years the performance in the various video games has dropped, not just GTA. The temperature of the GPU touches 85 degrees, I still use the Intel stock cooler. Do you think the problem is the cooling system? Or something happened to my CPU, maybe with these temperatures it got ruined... maybe I just have to change the thermal paste, I really don't know what to do...

Solution
Hi guys, recently I started playing GTA 5 but I'm always on 60 fps and after a few hours I also go down to 45/50! When I was playing it a few years ago with the same components I was reaching 80 90 fps on average with very high graphics, while now I hit 40 fps with just high graphics! I have an i5 8400 and a gtx 1060. It is not the best but after 3 years the performance in the various video games has dropped, not just GTA. The temperature of the GPU touches 85 degrees, I still use the Intel stock cooler. Do you think the problem is the cooling system? Or something happened to my CPU, maybe with these temperatures it got ruined... maybe I just have to change the thermal paste, I really don't know what to do...
Check your CPU temp as well.

which CPU cooler do you recommend?
Well....first I might check the current cooler you have....make sure it's snug on the CPU.
I'd also open the case and run like that and see if it helps.
I'd also see if i could bump up the fan curve in the BIOS.
If nothing worked.....then I'd consider a new cooler.
I'm not a cooler pro....but I'm using this on a 10 core.
It may be overkill for your CPU.

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-U12S-Premium-Cooler-NF-F12/dp/B00C9EYVGY

Reactions: marcoboh
Solution