[SOLVED] Low FPS in GTA 5 with a GTX 1060 6GB and i7 960

FreshPower

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
So, I recently purchased GTA 5 in order to play it and I hoped that I will get a lot of fps with this pc but when I go in online I get around 40-50 fps with very high and high settings. I want to know why I don't get much more fps because I have a friend with a gtx 1050 ti and an i5 8400 with the same settings and he gets around 100 fps. If you know how to help me please do it. Thanks.

Solution
Windows power plan; https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9090/learning-windows-7-manage-power-settings/

NvidiaCP's power management mode under manage 3D settings set to prefer maximum performance.

GeForce experience. In settings, there's options for different levels of quality and GE will optimise games accordingly.

Grass details can be a killer in Gta5, try set medium ingame if GeForce Experience doesn't. Or try Low. Also try different antialiasing settings ingame too. GeForce sets graphic settings when you optimise but you can change them ingame at anytime and theyll stick until you click optimise button again.

Probably wont see a difference though but we'll see. There's a lot more happening in gta5 online and overclocking cpu would...

Lutfij

Titan
What are your current specs? List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Since you mentioned you got the GTX1060, what was your GPU prior? You also need to understand that your processor is 8 generations behind your friends. You're not comparing apples to apples, more like comparing cats to whales.

+ What resolution are you gaming on? Make and model of your monitor?

FreshPower

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
CPU: i7 960 4 cores 8 threads 3.4 Ghz
Motherboard: Alienware
Ram: 12 GB 1336
SSD/HDD: 1TB Hard Disk 7200 RPM
GPU: Gtx 1060 6 GB
PSU: 525 W Alienware
Chassis: Alienware

My system is an alienware bought from someone so I don't know the psu or motherboard

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Gta5 online is very cpu intensive, your friend's cpu has an edge here.

How does Gta5 play in single player for you?

I would look at performance settings in Windows power plans and NvidiaCP.

Do you use Geforce Experience?

FreshPower

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
Ok, so I am running Geforce Experience and I also get a lot more fps in solo like 70 to 80 compared to online 45(lowest) to 55 or so, I watched the CPU in the task manager when I benchmarked the game and I haven't seen it to reach 100% usage, at worst it reached around 90% to 80% or so. I will try to close the background apps as you said thanks for advice but what if I overclock the cpu just a little? Would it have a massive impact on fps?

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Look into using Game Mode in Win 10 too, it may or may not help. But cleaning up background tasks should be priority. I usually start by closing down anything I’m not using and hitting ctrl alt delete and going to I want to say startup and unchecking everything I don’t don’t view as nesscessary to boot up to help free up resources.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Probably not massive, you'll eke out a few more fps. The basic problem is that your friend has nearly a decade of cumulative instructions per cycle improvements and an old i7 doesn't even have a core advantage over new i5s. Open-world games are CPU hogs.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

You can, but expectations have to be realistic; you asked if it would have a "massive impact" on fps. You might be able to get 10-15 fps if you have enough background apps clogging up the works, but I'd probably bet on the under.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Windows power plan; https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9090/learning-windows-7-manage-power-settings/

NvidiaCP's power management mode under manage 3D settings set to prefer maximum performance.

GeForce experience. In settings, there's options for different levels of quality and GE will optimise games accordingly.

Grass details can be a killer in Gta5, try set medium ingame if GeForce Experience doesn't. Or try Low. Also try different antialiasing settings ingame too. GeForce sets graphic settings when you optimise but you can change them ingame at anytime and theyll stick until you click optimise button again.

Probably wont see a difference though but we'll see. There's a lot more happening in gta5 online and overclocking cpu would give the best results besides upgrading.

Solution

FreshPower

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
So, I've done more research and I found that gpu usage may be the problem. I monitorized it on gta online and it is at around 60% on msi afterburner with the gpu being at stock clock. What may cause that issue and how can I fix it?

Your CPU was adequate in 2011....

It is not capable of fully saturating a GTX1060.

Trying to decide that 'x' amount of usage is somehow a problem and that if this could be raised or lowered, all would be well, is....a fruitless endeavor.

Sorry but your CPU is too slow for this game.

FreshPower

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016

So I am having a bottleneck? I don't think so because my cpu Is neither low usage or max usage is like 80% to 90% overclocked at 3.65 GHz.
What if I switch a setting or something to raise the gpu usage more?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Instructions per second (ipc) of the 960 isn't good enough. Slow ipc wont directly saturate a cpu, it's just slow.

Gta 5 online is cpu demanding there's no denying that. All you can do is reduce background apps or overclock cpu. There's no magic setting that will make your graphics card do more, your cpu is not enough.

Overclock.

FreshPower

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
Ok so at what frequency should I get my 9-10 year old cpu at? I am currently running it at 3.6 GHz with 1.15 V Core Voltage. Is it risky to run it at 4.0 GHz these days with an water cooler? If I can oc it can you give me an advice on what voltage to put the V core at? Thank you very much.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Best search Google i7 960 4.5 oc settings and try those. Its been a decade so there should be quite a few settings to try. Just keep an eye on temps and dont exceed dram more than 1.6v and Vcore 1.4v.

Try aim between 4 and 4.5.