[SOLVED] low fps in newer games (10-15fps)

Nov 12, 2019
hi, i've been having trouble with newer games on my current computer, the fps has been low and i can't figure out why. i can't figure out whether it's maybe bottlenecking or something else. the games that have been having low fps off the top of my head have been the witcher 3, assassin's creed origins, assassin's creed odyssey, and now red dead redemption 2. if anyone can help, please do. ( i accidentally posted in the graphics card section and can't seem to delete it there so sorry for double posting)

system specs:
cpu: intel i7-6700k skylake
gpu: geforce gtx 1070 evga black edition 8gb gddr5
ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit

Solution
Yeah, the problem does seem to be related to the processor being stuck in a low-power mode. A 0.8GHZ boost clock definitely isn't right, and will only get you around 20% of your CPU's stock performance. I agree that you should reset your motherboard's BIOS to see if that fixes the issue. You can consult your motherboard's manual for how to do that, but it typically involves either temporarily shorting a couple pins on the board or removing the little CMOS button battery while the system is unplugged, which should reset the BIOS settings to default.
hi, i've been having trouble with newer games on my current computer, the fps has been low and i can't figure out why. i can't figure out whether it's maybe bottlenecking or something else. the games that have been having low fps off the top of my head have been the witcher 3, assassin's creed origins, assassin's creed odyssey, and now red dead redemption 2. if anyone can help, please do. ( i accidentally posted in the graphics card section and can't seem to delete it there so sorry for double posting)

system specs:
cpu: intel i7-6700k skylake
gpu: geforce gtx 1070 evga black edition 8gb gddr5
ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit
What model of SSD/HDD are you using and where are the games installed?

Nov 12, 2019
i have a Transcend 512GB MLC SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch Internal Solid State Drive 370 (TS512GSSD370)

and a WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD2003FZEX

most newer games i have had installed have been on my ssd, i re-installed some of them onto my wd hdd but no change.

i have a Transcend 512GB MLC SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch Internal Solid State Drive 370 (TS512GSSD370)

and a WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD2003FZEX

most newer games i have had installed have been on my ssd, i re-installed some of them onto my wd hdd but no change.
I would say uninstall the Nvidia drivers and then use DDU to uninstall anything left behind. Reinstall the drivers with the newest available version.

Nov 12, 2019
I would say uninstall the Nvidia drivers and then use DDU to uninstall anything left behind. Reinstall the drivers with the newest available version.

i tried that and it doesn't seem to have done a thing. i have a log from precision xoc, for some reason though it wouldn't record the fps but it definitely was slow and most likely around 10-15 range still.

the temps for the cpu and gpu stayed around 20 celsius

the memory clock was 4006, the gpu clock was 1594, the total power % was in the 20's and the normalized power was in the mid 30's(35-37).

i can't post the actual file so it's a little hard to show everything.

edit: i was playing red dead redemption 2

Last edited:
the temps for the cpu and gpu stayed around 20 celsius
I don't suspect "around 20 celsius" is accurate, since that would be more or less room temperature, and even at idle the CPU and GPU are likely to be warmer than that. Could you check both the CPU and GPU temperatures while one of these games is running at only 10-15 fps, and report the exact numbers you are seeing here?

Also, you might want to try running the benchmark at this site and sharing a link to your results page here, as it may provide some indication of what component might be holding back performance...

https://www.userbenchmark.com

Nov 12, 2019
I don't suspect "around 20 celsius" is accurate, since that would be more or less room temperature, and even at idle the CPU and GPU are likely to be warmer than that. Could you check both the CPU and GPU temperatures while one of these games is running at only 10-15 fps, and report the exact numbers you are seeing here?

Also, you might want to try running the benchmark at this site and sharing a link to your results page here, as it may provide some indication of what component might be holding back performance...

https://www.userbenchmark.com

the cpu temperature as a whole was 21-22 Celsius, while the GPU temp was 26-28 celsius.

here is the link to the benchmark
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/21709959

edit: forgot to add that core 1 temp was on average 17-19, core 2 was 20-22, core 3 was 18-19, and core 4 was 17-18

the cpu temperature as a whole was 21-22 Celsius, while the GPU temp was 26-28 celsius.

here is the link to the benchmark
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/21709959

edit: forgot to add that core 1 temp was on average 17-19, core 2 was 20-22, core 3 was 18-19, and core 4 was 17-18
Something that looks odd is the userbenchmark is saying the CPU is turboing to .8Ghz or your CPU is locking to .8Ghz. Resetting the bios to factory defaults should fix that if it's actually happening. Also your memory is not running at 3000Mhz which means you didn't set the xmp or manually set the advertised frequency and timings of your memory kit.

Yeah, the problem does seem to be related to the processor being stuck in a low-power mode. A 0.8GHZ boost clock definitely isn't right, and will only get you around 20% of your CPU's stock performance. I agree that you should reset your motherboard's BIOS to see if that fixes the issue. You can consult your motherboard's manual for how to do that, but it typically involves either temporarily shorting a couple pins on the board or removing the little CMOS button battery while the system is unplugged, which should reset the BIOS settings to default.

Solution
Nov 12, 2019
With removing the cmos Battery, do I just plug it back in or boot it without the battery?

Nov 12, 2019
so i managed to fix the cpu clocking issue, but i had to disable the intel thermal monitor. i'm hoping it doesn't backfire on me, but i've looked it up a bit and it looks like this is a common issue with msi motherboards, the slow mode seems to switch on even if the control is set to normal.

so i managed to fix the cpu clocking issue, but i had to disable the intel thermal monitor. i'm hoping it doesn't backfire on me, but i've looked it up a bit and it looks like this is a common issue with msi motherboards, the slow mode seems to switch on even if the control is set to normal.
If you haven't done so yet, you should update the bios to see if it fixes that problem. What is the motherboard model? You never said and nobody asked yet.

oh, sorry msi z170a gaming m5, i did update the bios and that didn't appear to do much either.
I don't know if you reset the CMOS correctly, so I'm posting the directions directly from the manual on page 41 incase you might have done it incorrectly.

Resetting BIOS to default values
Power off the computer and unplug the power cord.
Use a jumper cap to short JBAT1 for about 5-10 seconds.
Remove the jumper cap from JBAT1.
Plug the power cord and power on the computer.

The CMOS reset jumper is above the second PCIE 16x slot toward the rear and as stats above in the instructions is labeled as JBAT1.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-GAMING-M5#down-manual

Edit - If the motherboard did not come with a jumper cap, you can take one off another motherboard or if you have any old IDE HDDs you can take it off the cable selection. Just make note or take a picture of where you took it from and it's original position.

Last edited:
Rather than using a jumper cap, which is just a little piece of metal in a plastic tab, you can use any piece of conductive metal to short the two jumper pins together. Something like the tip of a screwdriver or a paperclip should work.

What kind of UserBenchmark results did you get after disabling the thermal monitor?

Nov 12, 2019
Rather than using a jumper cap, which is just a little piece of metal in a plastic tab, you can use any piece of conductive metal to short the two jumper pins together. Something like the tip of a screwdriver or a paperclip should work.

What kind of UserBenchmark results did you get after disabling the thermal monitor?

oh, and how long do i hold them to the pins? or do i just press them against for a second?

According to the instructions from the manual that Third-Eye listed several posts back, they are suggesting "about 5-10 seconds" for that motherboard to clear the BIOS settings. Of course, you should make sure to follow the rest of those instructions too if you do that, particularly about having the system turned off and unplugged.

And that might not even fix the problem. It looks like that workaround involving disabling the thermal monitor seems to be working for you though, judging by those UserBenchmark results, which are right in line with where they should be, and should be providing you with far better performance than you were getting before. If you do reset the BIOS settings to default, you might need to go back and re-enable the XMP profile for your RAM again to optimal performance out of it.