[SOLVED] Low fps in old games

klooger28

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2013
This isn't what most would consider low fps, but it's certainly lower than it should be.

I have a ryzen 5 3600x and a 1070 ti, and am on a fresh install of windows 10, and in modern warfare 3 single player I consistently get 190-220fps no matter what settings I use, min or max same fps.
In cod4, and mw2 I get 500+, and in the newer remasters of those same games which are far more demanding, I get 250-300 most of the time.
Confusing matters more, I am reasonably certain I used to get more fps than this on my old pc on mw3, though I could just be misremembering here, maybe the game just has a hard cap at around that area, but the fluctuations in fps didn't seem like it was capped artificially.

I vaguely remember having similar issues in other old games too, though I don't remember the specifics so I guess I can't really give any information about that. But I have heard this might be a thing where the games simply aren't demanding enough to make the hardware actually work, is this true?

I have also turned all power settings to maximum performance, to make sure it wasn't any of that garbage.

Now sure, most people might just say "well 200fps is plenty just play the game and get over it" but I'm trying to speedrun these games, not just play them casually, so more fps is really quite important, and not just for the feel of the game, but for abusing certain engine quirks too. Mostly I'm more curious if anyone knows what's up, or can report similar lack of fps to strong hardware, I honestly kind of don't expect a fix to be possible, because mw3 is kind of a garbage game.

Solution
Confusing matters more, I am reasonably certain I used to get more fps than this on my old pc on mw3,
If your old CPU was one that could clock much higher then it's not confusing at all.Ryzen is great at multithreading but it can only hold a high single thread if that is the only thing running on the whole pc.
Older games are more reliant on single core speeds so older games will run slower.
Confusing matters more, I am reasonably certain I used to get more fps than this on my old pc on mw3,
If your old CPU was one that could clock much higher then it's not confusing at all.Ryzen is great at multithreading but it can only hold a high single thread if that is the only thing running on the whole pc.
Older games are more reliant on single core speeds so older games will run slower.

Solution

klooger28

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2013
My old cpu was an overclocked 2500k, this ryzen 3600x is roughly 70% better single thread than that one, and the other games I quoted gained roughly that amount of fps as well. Though I have found out that in this specific case it is apparently a windows 10 issue, windows 7 seems to be uncapped, still very strange.