[SOLVED] Low FPS in several games

zFireblade

Commendable
Aug 6, 2019
I've been encountering some very bad FPS numbers and drops in several games. The FPS are kinda wonky (somewhere between 50 and 110, sometimes down to 20, even in games like Fortnite). I don't have any idea what pc component is the bottleneck.

My specs:
GPU: Asus rtx 2060 oc 6GB
CPU: Intel core i7-4790 3,60 GHz
RAM: 16gb corsair running at 1600 mhz ddr3
60 hz Monitor
Old motherboard (idk the name or anything xd)

I used to think it was my GPU so I upgraded to a rtx 2060 oc but that did not really help. Then I upgraded from 8 to 16 ram but that also didn't do anything. I always close most of the background stuff so the only things runnning is the game and discord. The GPU is overclocked at very low numbers cause if I overclock it higher and play a game it will crash after a few minutes. I am running my games at the lowest graphics settings possible but with 100 % 3D resolution. I also optimized the GPU settings in the nvidia control panel for the best performance.

Solution
Run core temp, or hardware monitor to see if system is overheating. CPU and GPU monitoring. The 4790 is a few years old the paste may need replacing or one of the push pin mounts for the heatsink may of came loose, common problem with overheating Intel processors of that age.
Run core temp, or hardware monitor to see if system is overheating. CPU and GPU monitoring. The 4790 is a few years old the paste may need replacing or one of the push pin mounts for the heatsink may of came loose, common problem with overheating Intel processors of that age.

Solution