EvolveVenom

Commendable
Mar 19, 2020
hi.
my setup:
rtx 3080
ryzen 9 3900xt
4x8 3600mhz ddr4

my question: how come i "only" get around 180 fps on 1440p, when people with around the same setup get around 300.
the weird part is that if i where to swap to 1080p my frames dont change at all

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
High FPS is very dependent on CPU performance. 3900XT is certainly powerful, but not the fastest for gaming. What exactly are you comparing against?

Resolution may not be the key factor here either, try changing some in-game graphics settings. Many are more CPU dependent than others and a very minor drop in image quality can make a huge difference to FPS.

EvolveVenom

Commendable
Mar 19, 2020
compared it with this, same setup but around 100 more fps (70) RTX 3080 Valorant 1080p 1440p 4k High Reflex On/Off With Ryzen 3900XT OC - YouTube
High FPS is very dependent on CPU performance. 3900XT is certainly powerful, but not the fastest for gaming. What exactly are you comparing against?

Resolution may not be the key factor here either, try changing some in-game graphics settings. Many are more CPU dependent than others and a very minor drop in image quality can make a huge difference to FPS.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Alright, were you seeing similar boost clocks on the CPU and GPU? Temperatures in check? (They had the 3900XT at 4.3Ghz, I'm guessing all core since they had OC tagged at the end there.

I didn't see a list of settings used other than Reflex On/Off. Game looked rather plain to me, all textures and such turned off?

I saw high numbers in that video, but couldn't tell you if it was very smooth gameplay, such is recorded footage. Bouncing up to 400FPS is nice and all, when no one is on the screen, but it did dip down when there was some action. Also not familiar enough with Valorant to say if that was a limited match compared to what you play. Would have to be the same map and conditions to be a fair comparison.

They did mention in the comments that it was certainly a CPU bottleneck under all test conditions, only getting the GPU to 90% with Reflex on and at 4K.

Another huge question, PCIe 3.0 or 4.0? That would depend on your motherboard and theirs.

EvolveVenom

Commendable
Mar 19, 2020
Alright, were you seeing similar boost clocks on the CPU and GPU? Temperatures in check? (They had the 3900XT at 4.3Ghz, I'm guessing all core since they had OC tagged at the end there.

I didn't see a list of settings used other than Reflex On/Off. Game looked rather plain to me, all textures and such turned off?

I saw high numbers in that video, but couldn't tell you if it was very smooth gameplay, such is recorded footage. Bouncing up to 400FPS is nice and all, when no one is on the screen, but it did dip down when there was some action. Also not familiar enough with Valorant to say if that was a limited match compared to what you play. Would have to be the same map and conditions to be a fair comparison.

They did mention in the comments that it was certainly a CPU bottleneck under all test conditions, only getting the GPU to 90% with Reflex on and at 4K.

Another huge question, PCIe 3.0 or 4.0? That would depend on your motherboard and theirs.
i dont need the 400fps but 240 would be amazing. have a new monitor coming in this week and want to be prepared.

i got my cpu overclocked in my bios to 4.3 at 1.34v
my 3080 at +150Mhz and +300Mhz

as for conditions, i am comparing it in the same gamemode, same map and playersize as in the video.
i got a x570 aorus elite

Last edited:

EvolveVenom

Commendable
Mar 19, 2020
how do i do that?
i also just saw that my gpu has around 95% while playing valorant. is that normal for a cpu heavy game?
Then maybe take a close look at your software for anything that might be a drain. Maybe go through and set affinity on some applications to cores that don't see much use while gaming.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Have you looked in the Nvidia control panel for global settings? If it is pushing it that hard, you might have something flipped on that you don't need, like DSR.

How do you look at software that is consuming resources on your system? Task Manager is pretty basic, doesn't catch everything. Anti-malware tools would be justified to see if anyone is using your system for remote mining. But in general you would want to turn off every possible program you aren't using actively while gaming to get the best possible performance.

EvolveVenom

Commendable
Mar 19, 2020
Have you looked in the Nvidia control panel for global settings? If it is pushing it that hard, you might have something flipped on that you don't need, like DSR.

How do you look at software that is consuming resources on your system? Task Manager is pretty basic, doesn't catch everything. Anti-malware tools would be justified to see if anyone is using your system for remote mining. But in general you would want to turn off every possible program you aren't using actively while gaming to get the best possible performance.
everything off that i dont need. got most apps disabled for start up, so i only run what i want at that moment

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS