Low fps - is it cause of my Phenom II 945?

Rikos4

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
Hello everyone.
It's my first time writing something on this forum, which i find very good and helpful.

My configuration:

CPU: AMD Phenom II 945 3,0Ghz
GPU: GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB (OC)
PSU: OCZ SxS II 500W
HDD: Samsung 500GB F3
RAM: ADATA 8GB CL11 1600Mhz
MOBO: MSI 770-G45

In my opinion, I have too small fps count in games.
In battlefield at medium I can drop even to 30 fps, battlefield 4 on medium can drop even to 22 fps... Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag also doesn't run good, it runs in 30 fps in Havana.
In fallout 3, when I go out into the wasteland, and I see a lot of land my fps drops.
Even in League of Legends, when there is a teamfight i can drop to 40 fps (max detail).

Previously I had GTX 460 768MB and 2x2GB 1333 CL9 Geil RAM sticks and I think I was running Skyrim on high just fine, now it's not bad, but in Whiterun, for example, it can drop to 3x fps (Maybe i wasn't paying attention to low fps then as I do now :D).

I had "Driver stopped working, but has recovered" problem, and couldn't play games like BF3, because it would crash after 10 minutes of playing. My GTX460 Died, so I bought a new card. I thought "Finally, I will be able to play BF3 and such games without errors!"

Nope, the error still existed. I gave the computer serviced and they changed my RAM to 1x8GB ADATA CL11 1600Mhz. The problem was probably with my Phenom, as other forums have suggested, but it would be stupid to pay much money for a little upgrade (Phenom II 965BE for example).

I have no idea what's causing the problem. Maybe it's the processor, but sometimes GPU Usage gets to 99%! Maybe a hdd format will help?
I need to be sure, because I'm going to change my CPU to i5 4570 if it's my phenom's fault.

Best regards.

@Edit I play in 1920x1080

Actually a GPU being at 99% would indicate a GPU bottleneck. The 650ti is now a lower mid range card so a new CPU may not help that much at all. IF you do get a more powerful GPU the Phenom II at only 3.0ghz will start to hold you back. Your kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place here. Most likely you need to upgrade both to get the results you require.

Rikos4

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
Ok, but are these fps normal? Phenom II 945 is still not that bad CPU and IMO it should run games kinda better...
I have 650 Ti BOOST EDITION 2GB version, it's better than 650Ti.

There are more powerful cards, but that card is fine. That processor is bottlenecking it though. I don't know if the Phenon II x4 965 BE ( a good processor ) will be of much help. Some I suppose, but you would stil have a bottleneck.

Rikos4

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
Nooo, I need to get used to writing on English forums, because people can't understand me as i see :D
Someone on other forum told me, that it is probably cause of bad CPU (badly factored). I had my MOBO changed, still the same error.
They changed my RAM to 1 stick 8GB and now it happened only 3 times in 2 months and only in BF4, so I don't worry ;)
For now, if it's CPU bottleneck, I plan to change it to i5 4570.
But still, aren't those fps supposed to be higher on my present configuration?

Rikos4

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
I installed the newest ones like a week ago.
I hadn't had any of my MOBO drivers installed, now I have installed only ati system drivers, are these enough?
I'm thinking of doing a HDD format, could this help?

Rikos4

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
Yeah, but my present system is not that old. I think it's 2 months old, but I installed many games, mods for them etc.
I did reset my BIOS settings, but by pressing "Restore optimized defaults" or something like that. I will pull the battery out for a while.
Also my MOBO needs me to manually set timings for my RAM. Cpu-z was showing it as 666,7 CL9, now it's correctly done at 800Mhz CL11, but I couldn't manually set cycle time (tRas) it's on auto and cpu-z shows it at 28.

Also I updated my bios through Msi Live Update before.

How to do my format correctly? And how to split partitions? Should they be 2x250GB?

Also, wchich drivers from here I need to install? I'm using USB headset. http://msi.com/product/mb/770G45.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win7 64

Rikos4

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
Hello there again.
I have installed The Witcher 2 from Steam just to see how is it running on my pc.
The game is running on medium details, but even at the beggining it drops to 40 fps!
UberSampling is turned off, aswell as antialiasing.
It's kinda strange, but GPU runs at 99% usage in Afterburner, so it's not a bottleneck? Then what is it?
Is it possible that my RAM does it? Maybe my old 2x2GB sticks were better? Now i have 1 stick of 8 GB 1600Mhz CL11.
Maybe my GPU is broken or something?
Even in League of Legends at medium details, with only high shadows my fps are spiking between 52-62 (vsync on). In hard teamfights i can get 3x fps, it's really annoying. My computer isn't that bad...
What can I do? Will a format help here?