Question Low FPS/massive frame rate drops in games!

Ryan0710

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
I have a gtx 1060 6gb and an i5 7500. I usually play Destiny 2, rainbow six siege, csgo, etc. I had 4 sticks of 4gb of ram (16 total) and one stick went defective so i took it out, but i don't think that matters. I think its my graphics card or drivers or something i dont know. I used to run these games beautifully, but now my frames are dropping into the 20s and 30s in social spaces, menus, and just when walking around in non intensive spaces. Ive turned my graphics settings down, messed around with my nvidia control panel settings via youtube videos to stop frame drops and lag. After all this, im still dropping frames like crazy. I tried taking out my ram and only using 2 sticks (same ram but different speeds) and the problem continued so thats why i think its a graphics problem?? any tips? im desperate at this point. thanks

ak195

Distinguished
It depends on RAM too, but normal 10 fps drop on taking out 4gb RAM is not understandable.
Lower your setting properly as a whole, like high to medium, if FPS is increased then may be its RAM problem.
Also recheck that GPU drivers are up to date or any fault/unknown software is not installed that is taking RAM usage. Before launching any game, check RAM usage from Task Manager also.
If you motherboard has dual channel capability, then set the RAMs in proper slot.

Ryan0710

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
It depends on RAM too, but normal 10 fps drop on taking out 4gb RAM is not understandable.
Lower your setting properly as a whole, like high to medium, if FPS is increased then may be its RAM problem.
Also recheck that GPU drivers are up to date or any fault/unknown software is not installed that is taking RAM usage. Before launching any game, check RAM usage from Task Manager also.
If you motherboard has dual channel capability, then set the RAMs in proper slot.
The only gpu drivers I need are the game ready drivers correct? My gpu is a 1060 and ran fine months ago so no new drivers besides game ready drivers should’ve been released right?

Not only did you lose 4GBs of RAM but you also lost dual-channel mode.
Try playing with just 2 sticks in slots 2 and 4 (from the CPU). Verify that the two sticks are running in dual-channel with CPU-Z.

8GBs is a little light for some AAA games but it'll be better than running 12GBs in single channel mode 99% of the time.

Reactions: ak195
May 24, 2021
Theres some points to me, like:

a system with 2x4gb and 1x 4 gb nerfes himself, simply because one of the ram channels will be in SDR (Single Data rate), while the other can work at double speed
A system which is a bit short in ram, what is happening then? The excess of data that Ram has to manage is written on your hard drive, and calculated from there, creating a second possible bottleneck.

I strongly suggest like Alceryes said, to run with 8gb while trying to reach 16 somedays, otherwise you will face serious framedrops as described...