[SOLVED] Low FPS on a 1660 6gb card

Jan 22, 2020
Specs- Ryzen 7 2700, zotac gtx 1660, 8gb ddr4 2444, asrock b450 steel legend, evga 400w psu. I’m getting around 108 FPS while playing on medium settings on rainbow six siege. From my understanding I should be getting more around the 200 mark.

Solution
You cut too many corners on the ram.
The ram is on the slow side for Ryzen, so the cpu isn't running at it's best.
R6 Siege can use up to 8GBs of ram. With ram, you never really want to use it all up. It slows the system down past 75%.
Get a 2x 8GB 3200mhz kit and you should be golden.

I do agree that the power supply should be replaced, but not that much. You could Tri-SLI 1660s with 850w - not that that's a thing, but I'm just saying.
A good 500-550w power supply is plenty for your current setup.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Specs- Ryzen 7 2700, zotac gtx 1660, 8gb ddr4 2444, asrock b450 steel legend, evga 400w psu. I’m getting around 108 FPS while playing on medium settings on rainbow six siege. From my understanding I should be getting more around the 200 mark.

At first glance I see your power supply doesn't have the recommended wattage for your GPU, which is 450. I advise you get no less than an 850 watt PSU in the event you upgrade to a higher end GPU and call it a day.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
R6 Siege can use up to 8GBs of ram. With ram, you never really want to use it all up. It slows the system down past 75%.

I do agree that the power supply should be replaced, but not that much. You could Tri-SLI 1660s with 850w - not that that's a thing, but I'm just saying.

Solution

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018

For his current setup, but if the guy wants to buy a 2080TI down the road, then he's screwed yet again. That was the point I was making. Why settle for less when you can afford more, and when you know you will need more in the future anyway should he upgrade?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
For his current setup, but if the guy wants to buy a 2080TI down the road, then he's screwed yet again. That was the point I was making. Why settle for less when you can afford more, and when you know you will need more in the future anyway should he upgrade?
Wow. Estimating getting a 2080Ti with their specs? The power supply isn't the only thing they'd be screwed in...

Why settle for less when you can afford more, and when you know you will need more in the future anyway should he upgrade?
It's a good idea, and also for ease of mind to have some headroom, but there's still a point to spending one's money effectively.
I'm going to use the 550w and 850w picks from Tom's Best Picks: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html
Corsair RM550X: ~100USD
Corsair AX850: ~235USD
That's a difference of about 135USD! The OP could either save it, or spend it on an additional storage drive if they need it.

Look at my specs in the spoiler. See the 750w psu?
And you suggested to the OP:
I advise you get no less than an 850 watt PSU in the event you upgrade to a higher end GPU and call it a day.
Do you not see what you did?

Look at the specs the OP provided. 'Look' at it.
In a bare necessities setup with everything loaded - which is not a realistic scenario - they will pull around 350w MAX.
With something like this, a 2070 Super and RX 5700XT could even be run with the OP's Ryzen 2700 - it'd pull like 430-450w max. Still 100w+ of headroom available.

They recently purchased a GTX 1660.
Do you believe they have plans to get a 2080Ti anytime soon? Or any gpu for that kind of cash?
They may not be in a position to spend that kind of money - or perhaps aren't even comfortable spending over a fixed amount on a gpu.

TRENDING THREADS