Question Low fps on a good gaming laptop

Apr 26, 2019
Hi everyone,
i recently purchased a MSI GS65 with 8750h and rtx 2060. most of the games run well except for csgo. i dont know why, but i cant get more than 160fps, and its usually between 120 and 150. i have, as far as im concerned, set all the right settings (nvidia gpu, high perfomance). i know that i have 140hz and it cant display more frames, but i also know that its more than capable of doing that and theres something i should do. i have my cpu undervolted (-125mv), so it doesnt throttle, and the fans dont even get at full speed. the problem is not that i have a faulty laptop, because i thought so and returned the same one i had before but i have the same issue on this one. when running afterburner i can see that the gpu is at about 40% load and the cpu is around 60%. i once tried to set the resolution to 640x480 just for experimental purposes, and still had about 180-240 fps, when 300 is the limit, so obviously it doesnt bottleneck or anything. it should be able to give the stable 300 frames. would appreciate any help as im quite desperate after already having tried everything xd
<3

edit: forgot to mention that i have everything installed on nvme ssd and 16gb ram in single channel, and that i have everything set to max settings and in 1920x1080

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019
Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling your GPU drivers with the latest off of Nvidia's support site? Which version of the OS are you on? Do you have any BIOS updates pending? Where did you source the game from?
thanks for your reply <3
i have the steam version of the game, i reinstalled nvidia a lot of times for different reasons, OS - 1803, BIOS - E16Q4IMS.107, and all the drivers are up to date

Apr 26, 2019
Disable VSync if you have it enabled. You can also try removing GeForce Experience.

And if it comes to it, you can always look into some of the tweaks for the game.
thanks for the advice!
i have vertical sync disabled and don´t have geforce experience installed.
i believe those tweaks and tips could work, but im kind of not sure if thats what everyone does in order to get good fps? i mean i have good hardware which is supposed to do much better and i thought i have something wrong enabled or downloaded?

Apr 26, 2019
😄

Did you double check that VSync is disabled in the NVidia Control Panel, also (not only in-game)? I imagine your hardware is capable of pushing more than 150 FPS in CS:GO. Maybe your hardware is being underutilized (possibly a firmware or power limit).
so i did everything the guide said and disabled the vsync through nvidia panel(and reinstalled the graphics drivers completely) and somehow managed to get lower fps (from 160 to 120) and im really confused now. about the firmware, is there any way to avoid it? like changing any of the bios settings? btw i updated bios settings aswell.

edit: while loading a server, i get 400 fps :) tho its completely useless

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
with my experience with pre built systems and gaming laptops is that theres almost always a software issue, if you can do a clean install of your OS, to remove all the bloatware or anything that MSI put in the laptop that could be doing wonky things in the background (it happens).

so i did everything the guide said and disabled the vsync through nvidia panel(and reinstalled the graphics drivers completely) and somehow managed to get lower fps...
If changing the driver is anything to go off of, that seems to imply your issue is most likely software, not hardware or firmware.

Where are you getting the driver from, and if downloading manually from NVidia's site, which options are you selecting?

Apr 26, 2019
If changing the driver is anything to go off of, that seems to imply your issue is most likely software, not hardware or firmware.

Where are you getting the driver from, and if downloading manually from NVidia's site, which options are you selecting?
when downloading driver i select win 10 x64, 2060 notebook, DCH and where it says recommended/beta i press all

Apr 26, 2019
with my experience with pre built systems and gaming laptops is that theres almost always a software issue, if you can do a clean install of your OS, to remove all the bloatware or anything that MSI put in the laptop that could be doing wonky things in the background (it happens).
do you mean download a clean win10 on a drive and boot from it? am i not losing the license when doing that? or reinstalling with the microsoft utility will do?

Apr 26, 2019
im surprised why a 2k€ laptop doesnt perform that well; imho everything should be perfect out of the box for this value.(at least it should work at 100%)

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
do you mean download a clean win10 on a drive and boot from it? am i not losing the license when doing that? or reinstalling with the microsoft utility will do?

MSI should include some sort of recovery which is it self a clean windows usb or disk for your system. if not then you can buy a new licence for around ~$20 online.

im surprised why a 2k€ laptop doesnt perform that well; imho everything should be perfect out of the box for this value.(at least it should work at 100%)

this sort of thing happens, ive seen alienware laptops perform really bad because the OS was wonky that when they swapped drives everything was ok. xD

Apr 26, 2019
MSI should include some sort of recovery which is it self a clean windows usb or disk for your system. if not then you can buy a new licence for around ~$20 online.

this sort of thing happens, ive seen alienware laptops perform really bad because the OS was wonky that when they swapped drives everything was ok. xD
i have an application 'burn recovery' which can recover windows, but will it be a clean one, without all those programs and power limits?

also, in heavier games like bf5 or pubg i get 100% gpu usage, so im pretty sure there´s some sort of power lock

Apr 26, 2019
update:
just ran some tests with msi afterburner and discovered that i´m constantly hitting power limit. my gpu load is about 60 and cpu is at 40, somehow gpu coreclock is at ~1700-1800 mhz(notebookcheck claims that laptop 2060 is 960 - 1200 (Boost) ), cpu temperature is around 87ºC, though it does not throttle, gpu is 70ºC.
if power limit is established by the manufacturers, is there any way to unlock it? like install some custom bios or sort of that? tbh i dont understand why would they do that, probably so that 2060 doesnt outperform the 2070 max-q with its low clock speeds xd

big thanks to everyone for the replies and advises! :)

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
i have an application 'burn recovery' which can recover windows, but will it be a clean one, without all those programs and power limits?

also, in heavier games like bf5 or pubg i get 100% gpu usage, so im pretty sure there´s some sort of power lock

im sry if i cant help you after this point with a clean windows install, but you can try to google or even contact MSI and ask them about it.

update:
just ran some tests with msi afterburner and discovered that i´m constantly hitting power limit. my gpu load is about 60 and cpu is at 40, somehow gpu coreclock is at ~1700-1800 mhz(notebookcheck claims that laptop 2060 is 960 - 1200 (Boost) ), cpu temperature is around 87ºC, though it does not throttle, gpu is 70ºC.
if power limit is established by the manufacturers, is there any way to unlock it? like install some custom bios or sort of that? tbh i dont understand why would they do that, probably so that 2060 doesnt outperform the 2070 max-q with its low clock speeds xd

big thanks to everyone for the replies and advises! :)

hmm this kind of behavior isnt new i think apple somehow power limits their imac (the ones with the i9 9900kf) so it would avoid any overheating issue.
and probably and this is just my theory save up on power consumption? laptops cant really cool them selves very well esp the ones with mid-high end hardware so they implement it probably as a safety feature.

also what you can do is look up reviews for your specific model of laptop maybe you can get more info from there regarding any hidden power lock outs and what not.