[SOLVED] Low FPS on a GTX 860M in every game, regardless of quality settings

Nov 17, 2020
Specs: Screen: 17" (touchscreen)
Resolution: 1920x1080
Processor: Intel Core i7-4710HQ
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 Evo 500 GB

This is a Lenovo Y50-70. So, basically, here's what's happening. I bought a new gaming laptop a few weeks ago. I installed GTA V, and everything was working like a charm. After around 5 minutes of playing, the FPS dropped down to 20-30. Turning graphics down didn't change anything. Then, after around 3-5 more minutes, the FPS went back up to 50-70. The cycle kept repeating and this is happening in every game. I disabled BD PROCHOT and turbo boosting, neither worked. I also disabled fast startup, which some said was the problem, but it didn't either. I changed some values in registry editor which people said was the cause, didn't help. I've been googling around for the entire time I had this laptop, and my last chance to get it fixed is to post about it here. Please help me with this. I have also tried reverting to previous drivers.

Solution
Control panel/
power options/
Change plan settings/
Change advanced power settings/
Processor power management/
Maximum processor state
Specs: Screen: 17" (touchscreen)
Resolution: 1920x1080
Processor: Intel Core i7-4710HQ
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 Evo 500 GB

This is a Lenovo Y50-70. So, basically, here's what's happening. I bought a new gaming laptop a few weeks ago. I installed GTA V, and everything was working like a charm. After around 5 minutes of playing, the FPS dropped down to 20-30. Turning graphics down didn't change anything. Then, after around 3-5 more minutes, the FPS went back up to 50-70. The cycle kept repeating and this is happening in every game. I disabled BD PROCHOT and turbo boosting, neither worked. I also disabled fast startup, which some said was the problem, but it didn't either. I changed some values in registry editor which people said was the cause, didn't help. I've been googling around for the entire time I had this laptop, and my last chance to get it fixed is to post about it here. Please help me with this. I have also tried reverting to previous drivers.

Was this actually a new laptop? The parts in it are pretty old. Could be temperature issues. Are you connected to the wall power? You want turbo boost on to get the higher CPU speeds. Check power settings to make sure things are set to high?

Nov 17, 2020
Sorry for the late response.
Was this actually a new laptop? The parts in it are pretty old. Could be temperature issues. Are you connected to the wall power? You want turbo boost on to get the higher CPU speeds. Check power settings to make sure things are set to high?
It's not a new laptop, sorry, I meant to say new as in new for me. The laptop is from 2014, I believe. I'm always plugged in, and I have already set stuff high in power settings. I may have missed something though, can you tell me everything I should set to high?
CPU and GPU temperatures while gaming?
CPU 80-85C, GPU 67-70C. I'm using a cooling pad.

Gaming laptops run hot.
That is because of the small and light cooling systems.
Verify that your cooling airways are clear and your fans are running.
Past that, there is not much you can do.
Run HWmonitor.
If you see a max temperature of 100c. you will throttle and slow down.
One preventative measure is to set the max cpu performance in windows power options from 100% to 99%

Nov 17, 2020
Gaming laptops run hot.
That is because of the small and light cooling systems.
Verify that your cooling airways are clear and your fans are running.
Past that, there is not much you can do.
Run HWmonitor.
If you see a max temperature of 100c. you will throttle and slow down.
One preventative measure is to set the max cpu performance in windows power options from 100% to 99%
I got a cooling pad, GPU runs around 65-70C, CPU runs around 80-85 (HWinfo64's data). I cannot see the max CPU performance option in windows power options.