Question Low FPS on All Steam Games

Mar 9, 2019
I have been on Steam for a few years, and whenever I try to play a 3D game I get extremely low FPS, the highest being 20, and dropping down to as low as 3. But whenever I play a 2D game, it's fine. Games not downloaded through steam work normally, which confuses me how steam is creating this problem. I have 12 GB of RAM installed on my laptop and tried to use as much RAM as I could allow on the games through the steam options.

fannyfarts

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
Eyyo , just thought I'd add my thoughts;

If it's Intel HD graphics (it'll say on the box or download speccy), make sure your windows power plan is set to high performance as this can actually effect integrated GPUs (igpus) greatly.

Also make sure that you have the latest version of Intel HD drivers installed on your laptop should be Intel HD 4000 drivers.

Now don't expect it to be a power house as no offence Intel HD is rather weak in general , and struggles to play games and anything higher than low 720p.

If you have the amd dedicated GPU please let me know so I can try help with that too :).

Mar 9, 2019
Eyyo , just thought I'd add my thoughts;

If it's Intel HD graphics (it'll say on the box or download speccy), make sure your windows power plan is set to high performance as this can actually effect integrated GPUs (igpus) greatly.

Also make sure that you have the latest version of Intel HD drivers installed on your laptop should be Intel HD 4000 drivers.

Now don't expect it to be a power house as no offence Intel HD is rather weak in general , and struggles to play games and anything higher than low 720p.

If you have the amd dedicated GPU please let me know so I can try help with that too :).
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4210U @ 1.70GHz 69 °C
Haswell ULT 22nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0598GM (U3E1)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics Family (Dell)
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB (SATA ) 35 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
this is what speccy said I have,
I set my computer to high performance, and I honestly don't know what this means"If you have the amd dedicated GPU please let me know so I can try help with that too "

fannyfarts

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
Amd is just a brand of graphics card, like Nvidia and certain versions of your laptop came with an and GPU..

Unfortunately it appears you only have Intel HD graphics which aren't the greatest.

Okay it's good that you have high power plan enabled ,

Now if you could download the latest drivers from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81497/Intel-HD-Graphics-4400

I should've selected all the correct options for your laptop:)

Then I'm afraid that will be the end of the line in terms of performance gains as Intel HD are more a basic solutions, and not really intended for gaming.

You can upgrade a laptop's graphics card sadly (unless it has a slot called an mxm slot which sadly yours doesn't have)

However if you're seriously dedicated to wanting to play games on the laptop you can buy such things as egpu docks (external graphics unit docks) which plug into the WiFi card slot in your laptop and can then have a full sized desktop GPU plugged into it.

However this is costly, and requires you to take the laptop apart.

Sorry if I'm being unclear, I'm from the UK and it's 6am and I'm finally feeling sleepy

You might gain 1-3fps at best, it's going to be slow for 3D anyway you slice it. You can upgrade a desktop with a new graphics card, but not a laptop. Although some newer laptops now have the option to use an external thunderbolt graphics card dock. I'm doubting yours has that capability.

Unfortunately, you have to buy a new laptop. A decent 40-60fps gaming laptop with a Geforce 1050Ti and i5 8300H processor will run you about $600. I'd recommend a laptop with an i7 8750H and geforce 1060 for about $100 for comfortable performance at ultra quality.