[SOLVED] Low FPS on games using Ryzen 5 2600 with RTX 3070. Bottleneck or Driver issues?

Nov 28, 2020
Hi, as the title says, I'm getting way lower fps while playing games than what I've seen on benchmarks. I've upgraded my gpu from GTX 1070 to RTX 3070 but it seems that the fps I'm getting is the same when I was using gtx 1070. Some say it's a bottleneck but the CPU usage is not 100% so I'm not entirely sure, it's around 40%-50% when I'm playing gta 5 almost max settings at 1080p and around 50%-60% when playing control at at max settings at 1080p with ray tracing on and etc. Also on control, enabling DLSS does not seems to help with fps that much. it's more like 5-7 fps increase compared to the benchmarks where it went up to 20-30 fps increase.

It is really a bottleneck or driver issue? if driver issue, which driver is causing this?
I'm planning on upgrading my CPU to Ryzen 5000 series soon but for now I'm sticking with Ryzen 2600.

If anyone have any info or idea what's causing the issue, any help would be much appreciated.

PC Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600
Asus Tuf OC RTX 3070
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz 16gb
Asus B450-F Motherboard
Crucial P1 500gb NVME
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
WD Blue 2TB
Seasonic Focus + Gold 750 watts

Solution
Hi, as the title says, I'm getting way lower fps while playing games than what I've seen on benchmarks. I've upgraded my gpu from GTX 1070 to RTX 3070 but it seems that the fps I'm getting is the same when I was using gtx 1070. Some say it's a bottleneck but the CPU usage is not 100% so I'm not entirely sure, it's around 40%-50% when I'm playing gta 5 almost max settings at 1080p and around 50%-60% when playing control at at max settings at 1080p with ray tracing on and etc. Also on control, enabling DLSS does not seems to help with fps that much. it's more like 5-7 fps increase compared to the benchmarks where it went up to 20-30 fps increase.

It is really a bottleneck or driver issue? if driver issue, which driver is causing...

It is really a bottleneck or driver issue? if driver issue, which driver is causing this?
I'm planning on upgrading my CPU to Ryzen 5000 series soon but for now I'm sticking with Ryzen 2600.

If anyone have any info or idea what's causing the issue, any help would be much appreciated.

PC Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600
Asus Tuf OC RTX 3070
Asus B450-F Motherboard
Crucial P1 500gb NVME
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
WD Blue 2TB

I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with your drivers; I keep seeing this same complaint over and over again with Ryzen 2600 CPUs.

The 2600 might have 6 cores and 12 threads, but it has very slow clock speeds (up to 3.9 GHz on only one core at a time) and relatively low IPC compared to newer CPUs. Overall CPU usage is not a reliable indicator of whether your CPU is bottlenecking you or not: even if your overall CPU usage is only 40-60%, it only takes one maxed-out thread in order for your 2600 to hold you back.

You're playing at 1080p using a GPU almost as powerful as a RTX 2080 Ti with a value-oriented CPU; this is the result. I guarantee you that none of the benchmarks you are looking at are being performed with a Ryzen 2600; more than 90% of them are probably being run on PCs with a 9900k or a 10900k, CPUs with significantly more cores and threads and that can boost on all cores to at least 5 GHz.

It's good that you're planning on upgrading to a Ryzen 5000 series CPU, you could definitely use it. Even a Ryzen 5600 (with the same number of cores and threads) would be an incredible boost in clock speeds and IPC.

Solution
Nov 28, 2020
I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with your drivers; I keep seeing this same complaint over and over again with Ryzen 2600 CPUs.

The 2600 might have 6 cores and 12 threads, but it has very slow clock speeds (up to 3.9 GHz on only one core at a time) and relatively low IPC compared to newer CPUs. Overall CPU usage is not a reliable indicator of whether your CPU is bottlenecking you or not: even if your overall CPU usage is only 40-60%, it only takes one maxed-out thread in order for your 2600 to hold you back.

You're playing at 1080p using a GPU almost as powerful as a RTX 2080 Ti with a value-oriented CPU; this is the result. I guarantee you that none of the benchmarks you are looking at are being performed with a Ryzen 2600; more than 90% of them are probably being run on PCs with a 9900k or a 10900k, CPUs with significantly more cores and threads and that can boost on all cores to at least 5 GHz.

It's good that you're planning on upgrading to a Ryzen 5000 series CPU, you could definitely use it. Even a Ryzen 5600 (with the same number of cores and threads) would be an incredible boost in clock speeds and IPC.
This is a very informative explanation. I've been looking for an answer like this since yesterday lol. Now I know why it's bottlenecking with 100% usage

Thank you so much.

Rawad1999

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
Happy to help.
Hello , I am having the same problem , got the same cpu and also a 3070 from gigbyte , now it may be cause he is playing on 1080p he is having a bottle neck, but the thing it for me , I play on 1440p monitor , so I shouldn't have cpu bottleneck , when I play cyberpunk without DLSS I am getting 99% usage , that's normal right? now when I use DLSS and RT ON , it keeps the same FPS , maybe a 5 fps boost but the gpu usage goes down to 60 or 50, sometime 70 , and not much fps boost , did everything driver related , even oced the cpu up to 4.0ghz , know anything ?

Hello , I am having the same problem , got the same cpu and also a 3070 from gigbyte , now it may be cause he is playing on 1080p he is having a bottle neck, but the thing it for me , I play on 1440p monitor , so I shouldn't have cpu bottleneck , when I play cyberpunk without DLSS I am getting 99% usage , that's normal right? now when I use DLSS and RT ON , it keeps the same FPS , maybe a 5 fps boost but the gpu usage goes down to 60 or 50, sometime 70 , and not much fps boost , did everything driver related , even oced the cpu up to 4.0ghz , know anything ?

A few things:
  1. There is a common misconception that CPU bottlenecking only happens at 1080p. This idea has been widely propagated because this is where it is most likely to happen, but that is only because 1080p has higher frame rates than resolutions like 1440p and 4k do; running at 1440p/60 fps is just as hard on your CPU as 1080p/60 fps is. Your CPU doesn't care about resolution, that's your GPU's job, it cares about frame rates. The higher your frame rates, the harder your CPU has to work, increasing your chance of a CPU bottleneck. But other things can increase CPU utilization independently of resolution, such as Ray Tracing effects or the number of characters and objects being rendered (which an open-world game like Cyberpunk has a lot of). The idea that you are exempt from the same CPU problems as the OP because you are running at 1440p is false.
  2. The fact that your GPU usage is decreasing when you enable DLSS and RT (which is CPU heavy) shows that your CPU is holding back your GPU. Seeing as how you have already overclocked it (and assuming you have at least 2 sticks of 8 GB RAM running at at least 3200 MHz) your only option to increase GPU utilization at your resolution and settings is to upgrade your CPU.
  3. Your DLSS + RT fps boost sounds about right; DLSS is only good for a performance boost if you don't cancel out the performance boost with ray tracing effects. If you want higher fps, enable DLSS without turning on any ray tracing.
Cyberpunk 2077 is a very CPU heavy game, regardless of resolution, and a Ryzen 2600 is sub-optimal for playing it (regardless of what the BS recommended hardware specifications said).

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018

PC Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600
Asus Tuf OC RTX 3070
Asus B450-F Motherboard
Crucial P1 500gb NVME
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
WD Blue 2TB

I had the same issue when I got my 2600 2 years ago. You have to manually overclock it. I was able to get a stable 4.1 ghz on ALL cores at 1.3625 volts. You should be able to get 3.9 with the stock cooler. It'll bump your performance considerably. If I remember correctly, it gave me a 15% or so increase in fps in BFV, and eliminated most of the "choppiness"