[SOLVED] Low FPS on games

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Hello, my brother's PC started to perform extremely poorly on games lately, and I'm kinda out of ideas.
I'll start with the PC specs:
i5 2500
Radeon 7850 HD
2x4 GB ram

The PC specs are pretty bad, but even then, I believe it's not working properly(especially because it worked well before).
He's playing mostly fortnite, and maybe a bit CS GO, I tried every video setting possible(window, full screen, full screen window, every resolution(even 800x600), lowest settings etc), but even on the lowest video settings possible, it still worked on around 10-40 FPS, with huge FPS drops and spikes.

I tried updating the video drivers, downgrading the video drivers, updating all the other drivers, formatting the PC, but nothing worked.

I'm kinda out of ideas as to what else I could try..I know the PC is not strong at all, but it should run CSGO/fortnite with lowest resolution on playable FPS...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Solution
Well yeah the CPU is getting to 97C, I'll add a 120mm fan to his PC and also change his CPU cooling to a better one, unfortunately I don't have any extra thermal paste, so I'll have to wait with that, I'll do it and see if it maybe helps. Thanks.
Yup 97C is way too hot, gaming loads should be well under 80C on that CPU. Most aftermarket coolers come with a small tube of thermal paste so there should be no reason to buy a tube. You also don't need to spend much, the price of this CM T2 is pretty good after MIR.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper T2 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($16.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $16.89
Prices include...

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Easily, especially if temps are exceeding 95C then it's really going to drop performance to prevent damage (thermal throttling).

Use HWmonitor to record max temp and report the vales back here just to make sure that this is the issue.

Well yeah the CPU is getting to 97C, I'll add a 120mm fan to his PC and also change his CPU cooling to a better one, unfortunately I don't have any extra thermal paste, so I'll have to wait with that, I'll do it and see if it maybe helps. Thanks.

WildCard999

Titan
Yup 97C is way too hot, gaming loads should be well under 80C on that CPU. Most aftermarket coolers come with a small tube of thermal paste so there should be no reason to buy a tube. You also don't need to spend much, the price of this CM T2 is pretty good after MIR.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper T2 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($16.89 @ OutletPC)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-03 12:43 EST-0500

Solution

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-03 12:43 EST-0500

There's no reason for me to buy another CPU cooler, I already have this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/90mm-Heat-Pipe-6-Heatpipe-Desktop-Computer-CPU-Cooler-Fan-Bracket-Ultra-Quiet-Heatsink-for-Intel - bought one on aliexpress a few months ago, it had a really small issue so the seller simply sent me a new one, so I gave him the one with the "issue".
it's actually an amazing CPU cooler, it reduced temps on my PC from 65C on load to around 45-50C on load.

So what I actually did was adding a CPU cooling, 120mm front fan, and also put a big(not PC) fan on the side of the PC(case is open), shut down the computer for around 10 minutes for it to cool and then tried again.

I'm pretty confused right now, as I cleared the temps data and tried gaming, the hwmonitor still rised to 97C, but it worked well now, so I guess that actually did the trick.

Thanks a lot for the help! :)

P.S - That's one of the only times I actually asked something here and didn't receive a stupid reply, so that's great.

WildCard999

Titan
Odd HWmonitor still showed a high temp but as long as the FPS is high I'm sure it's much lower. If you did want to check the temp then Try CoreTemp.

And your welcome!