SPECS:
12700kf
4070 Ti ZOTAC
32GB RAM 3600Mhz
MSI B660M MAG Mortar,
RM850x Corsair 80 Gold PSU
970 EVO 1TB SSD Z
NZXT Flow case

Hello everyone. I’m making this thread because I’ve been having problems with my brand new pc I built. When I first built my pc, I had a 750w psu in which I thought could be the issue. So I got the 850w RMx series from Corsair. Didn’t work. I also had an h610m-d from msi. I then replaced it with a b660 MAG Mortar seeming as if people thought it was poor VRM. It once again, never made a difference. For instance, on all the games I play, my gpu and cpu aren’t utilized at its full capability. For example, on rainbow six siege 1440 low settings, on the benchmark I get 360fps average but with low load on both gpu and cpu.

Another example is rocket league. On med/high settings, I get nearly 350-450fps. My friend with a 12700k and 3070ti gets over 500+ fps on 1440p. I’ve optimized my entire pc such as power plan as high performance, game mode, control panel on high performance, literally everything. Running tests on userbenchmark are completely normal. But as soon as I go into any game. It goes into shambles.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/59727676

Generally speaking with games like those your CPU will be low overall usage with a couple of cores pegged. Something is definitely holding your system back, but more testing seems to be in order. Try some other common benchmarks as a place to start like 3dmark, cinebench, AIDA64 (to check memory performance predominantly) and potentially some games which put more stress on your system.

Checking clockspeeds while gaming might also shed some light on performance. Also verify with CPUZ/GPUZ that all of your components are operating as they're supposed to.

Feb 28, 2023
3dmark results came out average. Says better then 98% of all systems. I linked my userbenchmark in which came out somewhat normal. I’m debating doing a fresh windows reset

You need to be looking at numbers comparitiive to your specific setup where it stands in the sea of everyone isn't useful. You can also take a look at the Tom's CPU hierarchy as they list many of the benchmarks worth using to check performance. A fresh install of windows is probably not a bad idea depending on what all hardware changes have happened.

Feb 28, 2023
You need to be looking at numbers comparitiive to your specific setup where it stands in the sea of everyone isn't useful. You can also take a look at the Tom's CPU hierarchy as they list many of the benchmarks worth using to check performance. A fresh install of windows is probably not a bad idea depending on what all hardware changes have happened.
I understand that part. I went on 3dmark benchmark results to see what people got with my specs and like I said it was the “average” score. I will most likely do a pc wipe tn in that case

Reactions: thestryker
While memory timings make a difference, but you'd likely be looking at ~8-10% performance difference at maximum unless something was horribly misconfigured. I doubt that would be the case given there has been a motherboard swap and any motherboard should be running gear 1 with 3600 memory as it is.

If you have any more demanding games that have a benchmark you should definitely give those a try, and if everything works well there then you need to check behavior while benching/playing the high fps titles. Using an overlay to show CPU/GPU clocks in addition to the use percentage ought to be helpful.

Feb 28, 2023
While memory timings make a difference, but you'd likely be looking at ~8-10% performance difference at maximum unless something was horribly misconfigured. I doubt that would be the case given there has been a motherboard swap and any motherboard should be running gear 1 with 3600 memory as it is.

If you have any more demanding games that have a benchmark you should definitely give those a try, and if everything works well there then you need to check behavior while benching/playing the high fps titles. Using an overlay to show CPU/GPU clocks in addition to the use percentage ought to be helpful.

Its funny you say that second part. Ive been having issues with my cpu usage so its all weird. When i run a benchmark on siege for example, it tells me that my cpu usage is 9% (or lower most times). My gpu then can rise to 90%+ sometimes. Its just weird bc my task manager says something totally different. Meaning while i run the benchmark, it tells me my cpu usage is quite high. But on my benchmark in game, at the end it gives me all the results in which it tells me im getting 9% cpu usage. And even on task manager it tells my cpu is super high in terms of usage but doesnt really show anything in terms of what proccesses are taking up the majority of my cpu.