Question low fps on i9 9900k

sultanmohammed1938

Commendable
May 14, 2018
so probably a month ago i posted about having a problem with rtx 2080ti and i7 7700k while playing on 1080p and getting low fps on AC origins and some suggested i either upgrade my monitor or get a better CPU and mother and i did so i got i9 9900k which is probably the best for gaming and a new mother board Asus ROG Strix Z390-E and i got 16 gb ram dual channel and still i get low fps on AC origins it drops to 59 and 60 i know to some 60 is not a problem to me it is when i got a high end pc i mean im sure i should be getting 80 fps at least
https://ibb.co/fQq06qj
https://ibb.co/QYR7H6t
and here are pictures with details on

Last edited:

sultanmohammed1938

Commendable
May 14, 2018

sultanmohammed1938

Commendable
May 14, 2018
I did a read through the older thread, and I noticed one thing that no one bothered to question...
The psu. You probably don't have a spare lying around to test this though.
nope no PSU because this is my first PC ever i got spare GPU and CPU and mother board i also asked the guy who installed all the components if my 700 PSU is enough or not he told me yes its enough

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: rigg42

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Upto 280w for the gpu, upto 250w for cpu and add another 100w for everything else. That's 630w on the rip, or at least 53A minimum on the 12v rail, and it's powered by a very mediocre 700w psu that's only capable of 640w on the 12v rail. (54A). That's not to mention all the out of spec voltages and dismal capacitors. Sorry, but that's not a psu, it's a psu shaped and disguised doorstop or paper weight and has no business trying to power such heavy duty, expensive components such as a i9 9900k and RTX2080ti.

Reactions: rigg42

sultanmohammed1938

Commendable
May 14, 2018
Upto 280w for the gpu, upto 250w for cpu and add another 100w for everything else. That's 630w on the rip, or at least 53A minimum on the 12v rail, and it's powered by a very mediocre 700w psu that's only capable of 640w on the 12v rail. (54A). That's not to mention all the out of spec voltages and dismal capacitors. Sorry, but that's not a psu, it's a psu shaped and disguised doorstop or paper weight and has no business trying to power such heavy duty, expensive components such as a i9 9900k and RTX2080ti.
Ugh I'm really tired of upgrading my pc just XD I think I'm gonna have to upgrade my PSU so at this point it's like a I built a new PC but yeah thanks for help hopefully it's just the PSU and nothing bigger than that

sultanmohammed1938

Commendable
May 14, 2018
Thanks for the context. It helps.
Well, it seams that there's something else holding your system back. Have you done any benchmarks to compare individual components?
Run a Userbenchmark and post the URL results. https://www.userbenchmark.com/
No i haven't Done any benchmarks with this new build but I compared my in game fps to other YouTube videos with the same specs as mine or maybe they might have extra hard drive or extra ram but I don't think that would give them that huge difference between me and them

sultanmohammed1938

Commendable
May 14, 2018
This 'guy's' word doesn't mean anything.
You've got 2 major power sucking monsters in that PC, and they demand a good psu to keep them fed, and that one currently in your PC isn't one of them:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2018/10/08/cooler-master-masterwatt-lite-600w-230v-power-supply/6/
[I know this is for the 600w, but your 700w is basically the exact same model, but rated to put out 100w more]
Yeah I guess my only option left is the PSU hopefully that would be the problem

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Your motherboard is enforcing TDP limits. Your CPU is running at it's 3600 mhz base clock. Your CPU should be running at 4700 mhz even when fully loaded on all cores. The easiest way to fix this is to enable multi core enhancement. You are also probably on an outdated bios version. The multi core enhancement feature is enabled by default on newer bios'.

Last edited:

sultanmohammed1938

Commendable
May 14, 2018
Your motherboard is enforcing TDP limits. Your CPU is running at it's 3600 mhz base clock. Your CPU should be running at 4700 mhz even when fully loaded on all cores. The easiest way to fix this is to enable multi core enhancement. You are also probably on an outdated bios version. The multi core enhancement feature is enabled by default on newer bios'.
How do I update my bios?

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I also fully endorse upgrading your PSU. That door stop you have in there is going to be stressed even further when your CPU is actually working properly. This also goes for your cooling. Given your current temps, I’m less concerned about the cooling.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You do realize that comparing your pc/fps to a YouTube video is like comparing your daily driver to a race ready sports car?

There's multiple things going on in your pc. Anti virus, ssd usage and capacity, hdd usage, pagefile and other OS settings, nvidia control panel settings, bios settings, even crap like Cortana, windows store, photos, cloud files etc that don't exist or are disabled or tweaked in the YouTube pc? Things like turning off Xbox DVR, game bar, turning nvidia control panel grass detail to low, pre-rendered 3d frames to 1 etc.

YouTube videos only show what is Possible, not what is Probable. So take that with a grain of salt.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
You do realize that comparing your pc/fps to a YouTube video is like comparing your daily driver to a race ready sports car?

There's multiple things going on in your pc. Anti virus, ssd usage and capacity, hdd usage, pagefile and other OS settings, nvidia control panel settings, bios settings, even crap like Cortana, windows store, photos, cloud files etc that don't exist or are disabled or tweaked in the YouTube pc? Things like turning off Xbox DVR, game bar, turning nvidia control panel grass detail to low, pre-rendered 3d frames to 1 etc.

YouTube videos only show what is Possible, not what is Probable. So take that with a grain of salt.
While this is true, he did buy a sports car. He needs to get it off the side streets and on to the freeway. He's literally leaving 1100 mhz on the table right now. I'm also guessing the XMP profile probably isn't loaded.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ever seen a Hellcat? Dodge Charger super car. Daily driver mode is default. It takes several minutes to go through the settings and turn that off and reset the onboard computer for race mode. Takes you from a 450Hp Hemi Charger, to over 700Hp Hellcat.

Op might own a race car, but it'll act just like a daily driver unless set into race mode. Something all the pro reviewers, you tubers etc do as a matter of natural thinking, without informing the general public specifically.

While this is true, he did buy a sports car. He needs to get it off the side streets and on to the freeway. He's literally leaving 1100 mhz on the table right now. I'm also guessing the XMP profile probably isn't loaded.
That does not explain the"stuck at 60Hz" - I wouldn't be surprised if the screen didn't report its Max refresh rate properly and V-sync caused the PC to be stuck at 59 fps.
You should try reducing details in your main take and see if you are still stuck at 60 something fps.
If yes, please make sure you are using at least a HDMI 2 cable or Displayport connector. Then, check the Nvidia control panel and your screen settings to make sure there is no longer a physical cap on your fps.
After that, turn V-sync off.
Once you get better values, check the other stuff mentioned in this thread - it's important too.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
That does not explain the"stuck at 60Hz" - I wouldn't be surprised if the screen didn't report its Max refresh rate properly and V-sync caused the PC to be stuck at 59 fps.
You should try reducing details in your main take and see if you are still stuck at 60 something fps.
If yes, please make sure you are using at least a HDMI 2 cable or Displayport connector. Then, check the Nvidia control panel and your screen settings to make sure there is no longer a physical cap on your fps.
After that, turn V-sync off.
Once you get better values, check the other stuff mentioned in this thread - it's important too.
Yeah that might be a good call. It wouldn't surprise me if he has v sync enabled. I've never owned a G-sync panel but on my monitor I have to go to the monitor settings in windows and set it to run at 144hz. Settings > Display > Display Adapter Properties > Monitor tab > 144 from the drop down menu. I also have to manually enable G-sync in NVidia control panel but that shouldn't matter on a g-sync panel. While my freesync panel won't go above 60hz unless I change the refresh rate in windows it isn't reflected in the FPS counter.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Op might own a race car, but it'll act just like a daily driver unless set into race mode. Something all the pro reviewers, you tubers etc do as a matter of natural thinking, without informing the general public specifically.

It's funny you brought this up. LTT got a bunch of flak for running their 9900k benchmarks at launch on an Asus board with the default settings. As you can clearly see Asus enforces TDP on older bios' by default which severely limits clock speed when the CPU is loaded hard. This is where Intel's BS TDP ratings can really bite people who aren't aware of this. After the "controversy" this was discussed ad nauseum around the various youtube tech channels.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Just wondering, did you make sure you're running the discrete GPU and not the on-board graphics of the CPU?
I don't think he is getting 60 FPS on the IGP in AC origins. This is pretty strait forward. He is running his $500 cpu at its base clock because the motherboard is enforcing power restrictions to keep under 95 watts. Effectively making it slower than an R7 2700.