[SOLVED] Low FPS on rtx 2060 super

May 17, 2020
Hello, a few days ago I bought an RTX 2060 SUPER. And trying it has given me some problems that in games like Overwatch, Battlefield V, COD MW, ETC. I am not getting the frame rate shown in benchmarking videos. A clear example in Overwatch that it is a game that is not so heavy, the super 2060 is supposed to get more than 150 fps in graphics to the maximum, and while I play even if the graphics are lowered obviously they will raise the fps and I tried it At all low settings, I get 120-140 FPS averaging and often drops to 100 or even 90 during intense moments (Youtube benchmarks show 2060 average to be 200 + fps easily on low).
Practically my problem is not because it is not said in other games such as in COD MW it goes to more than 120 fps in highs and lows and is not said ..... but it does not go up it only remains at 100 and 90 low graphics.
IN THE MSI Afterburner PROGRAM I saw the results and I noticed that my cpu works from 70 to 90% while my gpu goes 40 to 60% sometimes it goes down Specifications:
Core i7 6700
16GB DDR4 2400MHz (SINGLE CHANNEL)
RTX 2060 SUPER
Windows 10 pro
power source: evga 600w 80 plus.

Solution
So should I go for a 3400 mhz 2x8 ram?
2x 8GB? Yeah, but does your motherboard even support that speed? A 3200mhz kit would be good enough - or a slower kit, if the faster one is pushing the wallet too much.

Explains what happens if I don't change the ram and only increase another one?
I can't, because of how wonky it is.
Mixing/adding ram is like gambling: sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. When you lose the ram lottery, you lose money and time.
BSODs, crashing, and freezing can result from incompatible memory.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Core i7 6700
16GB DDR4 2400MHz (SINGLE CHANNEL) <----------- You have GOT to fix that first.
RTX 2060 SUPER
Windows 10 pro

The stronger gpu demands more work from a cpu. The cpu can't deliver if it's tripping over itself due to the lack of memory bandwidth - the cpu and ram work in tandem.

Reactions: FurryVengence

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Yeah benchmarks on YouTube can be deceiving. Unless your rig exactly matches theirs, good chance you will see some differences. When it comes to games pushing those kinds of FPS yes you will see some bottlenecks with that CPU + RAM

Not sure what your ultimate goal is. But I suggest picking a target FPS in a select number of games and seeing either: a - you lower settings to accommodate that or b - you start looking at CPU and RAM upgrades. Keep in mind as time goes on and newer games come out those FPS targets will change for newer games.

May 17, 2020
Core i7 6700
16GB DDR4 2400MHz (SINGLE CHANNEL) <----------- You have GOT to fix that first.
RTX 2060 SUPER
Windows 10 pro

The stronger gpu demands more work from a cpu. The cpu can't deliver if it's tripping over itself due to the lack of memory bandwidth - the cpu and ram work in tandem.

So do I have to change the ram to another 16GB DDR4 2400MHz? and put it on dual channel? Or what can you recommend me about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 17, 2020
Yeah benchmarks on YouTube can be deceiving. Unless your rig exactly matches theirs, good chance you will see some differences. When it comes to games pushing those kinds of FPS yes you will see some bottlenecks with that CPU + RAM

Not sure what your ultimate goal is. But I suggest picking a target FPS in a select number of games and seeing either: a - you lower settings to accommodate that or b - you start looking at CPU and RAM upgrades. Keep in mind as time goes on and newer games come out those FPS targets will change for newer games.
I can understand that the tests of the videos vary depending on the cpu. But no matter how low the graphics, the fps stay the same without improving and go down when there is action in all the games.
What I'm looking for is that my card works as it should but it stays at 30 to 50% and my cpu reaches 70 to 90%. Giving me a low performance because it is supposed to be an 8gb graphic and that I go to low fps, having the configuration at the lowest, because it is clear that it is a problem.
And optimizing the games to the minimum would be something silly (without sounding rude) because as I mentioned the graphics must support and run at high fps.

So should I change the ram? Do you recommend any specific or should I add another one of 16 Ddr4 2400 mhz and put it in dual channel obviously. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So do I have to change the ram to another 16GB DDR4 2400MHz? and put it on dual channel? Or what can you recommend me about it.
A)Purchase a 2x 8, or 2x 16GB kit and sell the single.[Recommended]
B)Add in another 8 or 16GB stick. [Not recommended] Even if you purchased another stick with the same timings as the one already equipped, it's not guaranteed to work without issue - it simply has the best odds.

May 17, 2020
B)Add in another 8 or 16GB stick. [Not recommended] Even if you purchased another stick with the same timings as the one already equipped, it's not guaranteed to work without issue - it simply has the best odds.

Nivz0r

Prominent
May 13, 2020
This is a bottleneck test for your cpu + gpu
https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i7-6700/GeForce_RTX_2060_SUPER/0FU14plu/16/
I know those aren't precise but i really think your CPU is too weak for the GPU simply because the CPU can run on 90% while the GPU will run at 50% max? (your words) it seems clear that the CPU can't handle this GPU well, but i'm sure it depends on a lot of different things and you'll probably see different results in different games.
For example my cpu 9700k runs games at 20-60% usage while gpu will run at 90-99% usage.

Probably also the Ram thing which is the least expensive component you could replace in order to check it.
From my experience i can say that i had 1 slot of 16GB ram 2666mhz and i replaced it with 2x8 3200mhz and the fps added was around 5~10. So no game changer for me.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
2x 8GB? Yeah, but does your motherboard even support that speed? A 3200mhz kit would be good enough - or a slower kit, if the faster one is pushing the wallet too much.

I can't, because of how wonky it is.
Mixing/adding ram is like gambling: sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. When you lose the ram lottery, you lose money and time.
BSODs, crashing, and freezing can result from incompatible memory.

Solution