[SOLVED] Low Fps On Rtx 2080TI?(i7 5820k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

guywithprob

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Hi.
I just got my Evga RTX 2080TI XC ultra.
Problem is Im getting unsatisfying FPS in most of the games except Witcher 3.
GTA5 1080p High settings 110fps.
GTA5 2k High settings 110fps.
Insugency:Sandstorm High-Mid settings 155-80 with unexpected fps drops.
Also weird thing is if you noticed with same settings in GTA5 Im getting same FPS in FHD and 2k.
My cpu OC'ed to 4.1ghz and non of my cores goes beyond 70% usage.
16GB 1233Mhz Ram.
My GPU TEMP:50C
My CPU TEMP:60C

Solution
Look at the the sockets on both units. There are:
Motherboard - 24 and 10-pin
Storage - 5-pin on the Cooler Master, and 6-pin on the Seasonic(a little different, but not enough to change anything here)
Cpu - 2x 8-pin on the Cooler Master, and 5x 8-pin on the Seasonic(the cpu and pcie sockets are shared on the Seasonic model)
Pcie - 6x 6-pin on the Cooler Master, and the Seasonic is the same as above

So, let's take your current setup, and make the necessary connections:
Motherboard is the same between both - check
Both units can accommodate the three storage drives - check
Cpu power needs 1x 8-pin(from psu) to 8-pin(to mobo) cable - both units have this - check

[This is where things change]
Gpu power - needs 2x 8-pin to 6+2-pin cables...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, now run the System File Checker: Using System File Checker
Let me know if it repairs any files.

Let's make sure you don't have any nasties taking up space on your drives.
Download and run Adwcleaner. Link: Malwarebytes Free Adwcleaner Download

Go to Security and Maintenance in control panel, click the maintenance drop-down arrow, and click 'view reliability history'.
A chart should pop up arranged into either days or weeks. You can view details of events by clicking on them.
If there are errors related to your recent experience with the 2 drives, they will appear here.

guywithprob

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019

Go to Security and Maintenance in control panel, click the maintenance drop-down arrow, and click 'view reliability history'.
A chart should pop up arranged into either days or weeks. You can view details of events by clicking on them.
If there are errors related to your recent experience with the 2 drives, they will appear here.
Im doing the System File Checker right now but in reliability history there is nothing specifically says harddrive failure.

guywithprob

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019

Done the File Checker it said there were some corrupt files and fixed.
Should I check how games run right now?
Edit: My gpu usage doesnt go past 40%. Thats probably why im getting low fps but why is this happening even tho non of my cpu cores go past 66%?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Im doing the System File Checker right now but in reliability history there is nothing specifically says harddrive failure.
There's no option to 'view technical details' at the bottom? It just says harddrive failure?

Have you done the Adwcleaner scan?

As for your game performance:
Aside from the storage drives, the rest of your hardware is performing normally. Your experience is with fps bouncing around a lot, right?
Well, this is what happens when you run the most powerful(currently) gaming graphics card at little ol' 1080p.
There isn't a cpu available than can keep up with that card at that resolution. This monster is for 1440p and 4k resolutions.

None of the cores goes beyond 70% usage? I'm willing to bet that you're looking at the cpu usage as a whole, when you should instead look at the usage for each core.
All it takes is a single core, or sometimes 2, aka the primary core(s), to constantly be pegged at 100% to limit performance.

I had talked with another 2080Ti user last week with the same problems you were experiencing in games. They were also playing at 1080p and had a 9900k.
It wasn't overheating, everything else in their rig was running normally. The card is just too powerful at lower resolutions.

guywithprob

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
There's no option to 'view technical details' at the bottom? It just says harddrive failure?

Have you done the Adwcleaner scan?

As for your game performance:
Aside from the storage drives, the rest of your hardware is performing normally. Your experience is with fps bouncing around a lot, right?
Well, this is what happens when you run the most powerful(currently) gaming graphics card at little ol' 1080p.
There isn't a cpu available than can keep up with that card at that resolution. This monster is for 1440p and 4k resolutions.

None of the cores goes beyond 70% usage? I'm willing to bet that you're looking at the cpu usage as a whole, when you should instead look at the usage for each core.
All it takes is a single core, or sometimes 2, aka the primary core(s), to constantly be pegged at 100% to limit performance.

I had talked with another 2080Ti user last week with the same problems you were experiencing in games. They were also playing at 1080p and had a 9900k.
It wasn't overheating, everything else in their rig was running normally. The card is just too powerful at lower resolutions.
I understand ofcourse I dont expect the card run on 100% usage but I believe it should run higher than 150 fps. About cpu I opened all of the 6 cores Core3 is usually the highest one peaked at 66%. There sure might be bottleneck with cpu but I still believe the cores at least would run higher than 66%. Is there a possibility for ram or motherboard to bottleneck the system?

May 4, 2019
Hi.
I just got my Evga RTX 2080TI XC ultra.
Problem is Im getting unsatisfying FPS in most of the games except Witcher 3.
GTA5 1080p High settings 110fps.
GTA5 2k High settings 110fps.
Insugency:Sandstorm High-Mid settings 155-80 with unexpected fps drops.
Also weird thing is if you noticed with same settings in GTA5 Im getting same FPS in FHD and 2k.
My cpu OC'ed to 4.1ghz and non of my cores goes beyond 70% usage.
16GB 1233Mhz Ram.
My GPU TEMP:50C
My CPU TEMP:60C
games that use frame buffers have issues with rtx cards

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, if the cores aren't actually maxing out...

Did you do the Adwcleaner scan yet?

Are all of your motherboard's drivers up to date?

Download Prime 95. Link: https://www.mersenne.org/download/#download
Disable AVX by adding 'CpuSupportsAVX=0' to the local.txt in the same folder as the .exe
Open Prime 95, select 'small ffts', and let it run for about 10mins. Observe you cores' usage while this is going on.
Do any of them drop off from 100% at any point?

guywithprob

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Well, if the cores aren't actually maxing out...

Did you do the Adwcleaner scan yet?

Are all of your motherboard's drivers up to date?

Download Prime 95. Link: https://www.mersenne.org/download/#download
Disable AVX by adding 'CpuSupportsAVX=0' to the local.txt in the same folder as the .exe
Open Prime 95, select 'small ffts', and let it run for about 10mins. Observe you cores' usage while this is going on.
Do any of them drop off from 100% at any point?
Everything is updated.
Scanned for adware, its clean. Non off the cores droped below 100%(87C).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm...
Windows is updated, motherboard drivers updated, graphics drivers updated - are you using Geforce Experience?

Cpu, gpu, and ram are running normally, no overheating - PC appears to be clean of unwanted programs.

This is your power supply, right? Link: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/v-series/v1200/
The 2080Ti? Link: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2383-KR
What motherboard do you have?
EDIT: Nevermind, I found it.

Umm, how do you have the psu hooked up to the gpu?

Last edited:

guywithprob

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Hmm...
Windows is updated, motherboard drivers updated, graphics drivers updated - are you using Geforce Experience?

Cpu, gpu, and ram are running normally, no overheating - PC appears to be clean of unwanted programs.

This is your power supply, right? Link: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/v-series/v1200/
The 2080Ti? Link: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2383-KR
What motherboard do you have?
EDIT: Nevermind, I found it.

Umm, how do you have the psu hooked up to the gpu?
Yes those are the same I got.
Yes psu hooked to gpu.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes those are the same I got.
Yes psu hooked to gpu.
I mean how? Which cables?
From what I can see from the psu's specs, you don't actually have the correct cables/sockets to properly power the card.
CORRECTION, it's enough to power the card, but not enough to 'run' it. Your Evga RTX 2080TI XC Ultra is a factory overclocked card, most likely equipped with a binned chip.
Yet I noticed in the userbenchmark results that it's 'running as expected'. A card like that should be 'well above expectations' instead.

So, looking at the ports on your psu, the gpu, and the motherboard(24-pin and 10-pin are exclusive to it):
1)The psu has 2x 8-pin cable sockets for cpu power. Your motherboard only has a single 8-pin power socket. 8-pin x 8-pin cable makes that connection.
2)The Evga RTX 2080TI XC Ultra has 2x 8-pin power sockets. The psu only has one 8-pin socket left, and that's really for cpus with high power draw - the motherboards with 2x 8-pin cpu power sockets.
-that really only leaves the 6-pin sockets to power your card, and that's not enough.
3)Because of the above, you most likely have done the cable connections incorrectly. The 6+2pin connectors aren't meant to be used in the psu itself.

In other words, this psu isn't capable of fully powering your card.
If the card actually were running at full power, your current fps experience would be worse than it currently is.
You need a psu with the proper connections, one with AT LEAST 2x 8-pin pcie cables/sockets. This unit has no 8-pin pcie sockets - the 2 you do see are for the cpu.
There are only 6-pin sockets for pcie devices on this unit. I have the feeling it was made with another use in mind, because all high end cards have at least a single 8-pin socket.

Last edited:

guywithprob

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
I mean how? Which cables?
From what I can see from the psu's specs, you don't actually have the correct cables to properly power the card.
CORRECTION, it's enough to power the card, but not enough to 'run' it. Your Evga RTX 2080TI XC Ultra is a factory overclocked card, most likely equipped with a binned chip.
Yet I noticed in the userbenchmark results that it's 'running as expected'. A card like that should be 'well above expectations' instead.

So, looking at the ports on your psu, the gpu, and the motherboard(24-pin and 10-pin are exclusive to it):
1)The psu has 2x 8-pin cable sockets for cpu power. Your motherboard only has a single 8-pin power port. 8-pin x 8-pin cable makes that connection.
2)The Evga RTX 2080TI XC Ultra has 2x 8-pin power connectors. The psu only has one 8-pin socket left, and that's really for cpus with high power draw - the motherboards with 2x 8-pin cpu power ports.
-that really only leaves the 6-pin ports to power your card, and that's not enough.
3)Because of the above, you most likely have done the cable connections incorrectly. The 6+2pin connectors aren't meant to be used in the psu itself.

In other words, this psu isn't capable of fully powering your card.
If the card actually were running at full power, your current fps experience would be worse than it currently is.
You need a psu with the proper connections, one with AT LEAST 2x 8-pin pcie ports. This unit has no pcie ports - the 2 you do see are for the cpu.
There are only 6-pin ports for pcie devices on this unit. I have the feeling it was made with another use in mind, because all high end cards have at least a single 8-pin port.
Hmmm. Okay thats quite interesting. I will try to show some pictures later but can you recommend a proper PSU for this build?

And I couldn't understand why I would get worse fps if my GPU was powered correctly.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I gave you a few options:
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($140.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $140.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-09 17:18 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $139.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-09 17:20 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($120.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $120.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-09 17:23 EDT-0400

The reason the fps is going to get worse:
There's a balance that needs to be met when it comes to PC hardware. Performance is only going to be as good as your weakest link.
If we just look at the parts in your case, that link would be the cpu. But if we look at the entire build as a whole, it's the monitor.

Like I mentioned earlier, there isn't a single cpu available today that can match the pace of the 2080Ti at 1080p resolution. Even the mighty 9900k throttles(in thread usage) against this card.
Therefore it makes sense to change to a higher resolution monitor to alleviate this issue. No other way around this, really.

At the moment, your card is just running at the normal speeds of a stock 2080Ti. But, once this card gets to kicking at full speed, the bouncing around of the fps you are currently seeing is going to be even worse.
It'll give you higher max fps, but your averages are going to suck.

guywithprob

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
I gave you a few options:
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($140.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $140.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-09 17:18 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $139.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-09 17:20 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($120.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $120.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-09 17:23 EDT-0400

The reason the fps is going to get worse:
There's a balance that needs to be met when it comes to PC hardware. Performance is only going to be as good as your weakest link.
If we just look at the parts in your case, that link would be the cpu. But if we look at the entire build as a whole, it's the monitor.

Like I mentioned earlier, there isn't a single cpu available today that can match the pace of the 2080Ti at 1080p resolution. Even the mighty 9900k throttles(in thread usage) against this card.
Therefore it makes sense to change to a higher resolution monitor to alleviate this issue. No other way around this, really.

At the moment, your card is just running at the normal speeds of a stock 2080Ti. But, once this card gets to kicking at full speed, the bouncing around of the fps you are currently seeing is going to be even worse.
It'll give you higher max fps, but your averages are going to suck.
Im probably going to buy this one:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jBZ2FT/evga-power-supply-220p20750x1

Are you sure 750W is enough? Or should I go with 850W just to be safe for future upgrades?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Unless you plan to SLI 2x 2080Tis, which will need at least a 900w psu. At that point you are going to want a high refresh 4k monitor, because all cpus at 1080p and 1440p are going to be slaughtered in the games that support SLI.
5820k - 140w
Evga RTX 2080TI XC ultra - 338w
Add 100w for everything else, not that they even use that much
= 578w at peak stress test loads(gaming loads will not be as high)
+ a 2nd 2080Ti in SLI = 916w at peak stress test loads^
The recommended from Nvidia's spec sheet is 650w(https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2080-ti/), and they exaggerate a little - for safety reasons.

guywithprob

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Unless you plan to SLI 2x 2080Tis, which will need at least a 900w psu. At that point you are going to want a high refresh 4k monitor, because all cpus at 1080p and 1440p are going to be slaughtered in the games that support SLI.
5820k - 140w
Evga RTX 2080TI XC ultra - 338w
Add 100w for everything else, not that they even use that much
= 578w at peak stress test loads(gaming loads will not be as high)
+ a 2nd 2080Ti in SLI = 916w at peak stress test loads^
The recommended from Nvidia's spec sheet is 650w(https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2080-ti/), and they exaggerate a little - for safety reasons.
These are my connections:
View: https://imgur.com/a/1gyghPN

I found one of these in my country is it good(750w)?
https://seasonic.com/prime-ultra-platinum#cables
This one has 2x(4+4), 4x(6+2).

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's plugged up correctly, but the problem is the wattage supplied by the 6-pin(from the psu) to 6+2pin cable(in the gpu) = 75w
The card requires 150w from 2 cables. 8-pin(from the psu) to 6+2-pin cable = 150w

That's an excellent psu - although, it's 1000w - but again, I have to ask: Do you plan to SLI 2080Ti?
Your current setup does not use more than 600w at peak loads. 650 or 750w psu is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.